Peter Kenyon calls on Chelsea academy to produce the next John Terry

the wes

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has expressed his frustration at the lack of young players the club produces.

SinceJohn Terry emerged more than a decade ago, Chelsea have struggled tomatch Roman Abramovich's goal of supplying the first team from theirexpensive youth academy.

I think it's one of the biggest challenges,' said Kenyon.

'Everyclub is spending more time, more money and more resources on theacademy. But the standard which we're demanding of the players is justgoing up all the time.

article-0-0634B6B7000005DC-523_468x576.jpgTall order: Kenyon wants Chelsea to produce more players of the quality of three-time European defender of the year John Terry

'I think we're all producing more good players but it's hard to getthem to breakthrough at the level we need them and that will take time.The infrastructure is certainly there at our club, it is as good asanyone's and I'm sure the next John Terry will be coming through.'

FrankArnesen has now been in charge of Chelsea's youth development for fouryears and the only player he could point to as being on the point ofmaking a breakthrough is Michael Mancienne.

At least Kenyon had the grace to acknowledge that Terry should be the poster boy for Chelsea's youth team.

Lastyear Arnesen made a presentation at Chelsea about how supposedlysuccessful the club's youth recruitment now is after he had torevolutionise what he regarded as an inadequate set up, but didn'tmention Terry.

Barcelona, who won the European Super Cup onFriday night, their fifth major trophy of the year, started theChampions League final with seven players from their own youth team.

ThePremier League's big four of Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United andLiverpool would be able to muster only four between them in theirstrongest line ups: Terry, Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard and RyanGiggs.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1209954/Peter-Kenyon-calls-Chelsea-academy-produce-John-Terry.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0Pc2iy3Ut

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this what Arnesen was meant to be doing! Also if we gave our youngsters a chance then perhaps we would actually get somewhere. There's plenty of youngsters that would fit into the first team but we either loan them out or leave them in the reserves.

I think Carlo sent them on loan to 'test' them. I really think Hutchinson is vauled very well by Carlo, and could see him start in a few games either later in the season or when there are some injuries. I hope players like Fabio Borini, Di Santo, Mancienne, Kakuta, Sinclair, Bridcutt, get there chances in the next year. They all have the poetential, now it's up too Carlo.

Much easier said than done. And the chances of producing a player similar of Terry's quality is zero to none. Arnesen has done a good job here, he's completely revitalised the youth system, we've got a great base and everything is heading in a positive direction, and you've to to think a lot of that work is down to him.

The problem with our reserves/youth players getting opportunities in the Chelsea first team is that we play at such a high standard now, have a fantastic squad and that they'll have to be at a very good level before getting chances here. And the fact of the matter is, not enough of our youngsters have reached that level. They're not good enough.

We have got some coming through now that look good, the likes of Mancienne, Cork, Stoch and Di Santo may be ready to come back next season and take a better place within our squad, with any luck they'll come back on loan as more accomplished players.

I think Borini is far too raw yet to be considering first team chances, he needs a succesful loan move first, and then he may be considered. Kakuta is still a talent, but very raw as well, and could also potentially need a loan move before challenging in our squad. Sinclair once showed potential, but like many youngsters, it doesn't seem he'll make it in our first team, his progression hasn't been good enough.

Hutchinson will probably get a few more appearances this year, fingers crossed he won't get any injuries, and then perhaps he can go on loan to the Championship next season and do well.

Its all about giving these lads a chance. Mikel came to the club as a naive talented 19 year old, the boy looked a bad signing when he first came. He was late for training, he rugby tackled a reading midfield player on his league debut and got sent off. His tackling was terrible to say the least, but what did we do as a club we gave him consistent games in the championsleague and premiership. He played in old trafford, anfield the emirates camp nou. All at the age of 19, look at him now he is 22 and we can give essien a rest and keep that same high quality.

Now lets compare that too mancienne he is 21, mikel at his age was playing in championsleague semi finals fa cup final's given jobs like marking players like gerrard and scholes. Mancienne at 21 is on loan to wolves he is in a relegation battle he will go to places like old trafford and have no chance at all. When he comes back to Chelsea he will be 22 it will take him 2 more years to break through he will be 24. Then at 24 he will have the same expierence mikel had at Chelsea when mikel was only 19. All i am saying is if mikel got a chance why cant more young players get a chance like he did.

If you look at it in some aspects, we're an aging squad.

Its all well and good looking for a new Jt but he's been with us from a very young age and the standards for first team football are alot higher now. We have alot of capable young lads but its actually giving them the chance, the break through that they might need and that easier said than done considering the level we play at with the first team.

Loaning them etc is only gonna help in the long run, for some of them. For others they should get the chance, show what they can do.

Having said that i think finding a player of Jts standard (the way we gained him) would be a long shot!

Its all about giving these lads a chance. Mikel came to the club as a naive talented 19 year old, the boy looked a bad signing when he first came. He was late for training, he rugby tackled a reading midfield player on his league debut and got sent off. His tackling was terrible to say the least, but what did we do as a club we gave him consistent games in the championsleague and premiership. He played in old trafford, anfield the emirates camp nou. All at the age of 19, look at him now he is 22 and we can give essien a rest and keep that same high quality.

Now lets compare that too mancienne he is 21, mikel at his age was playing in championsleague semi finals fa cup final's given jobs like marking players like gerrard and scholes. Mancienne at 21 is on loan to wolves he is in a relegation battle he will go to places like old trafford and have no chance at all. When he comes back to Chelsea he will be 22 it will take him 2 more years to break through he will be 24. Then at 24 he will have the same expierence mikel had at Chelsea when mikel was only 19. All i am saying is if mikel got a chance why cant more young players get a chance like he did.

Because they're not as good as him, simple really.

Hutchinson back to the championship??? Why not the prem?

I can't see a Premier League side taking him on currently at the moment and playing him for 30+ games a season. On a pre-season tour he certainly looked a competent defender. A good championship loan would be a good move for him, providing he stays fit.

If you look at it in some aspects, we're an aging squad.

Its all well and good looking for a new Jt but he's been with us from a very young age and the standards for first team football are alot higher now. We have alot of capable young lads but its actually giving them the chance, the break through that they might need and that easier said than done considering the level we play at with the first team.

Loaning them etc is only gonna help in the long run, for some of them. For others they should get the chance, show what they can do.

Having said that i think finding a player of Jts standard (the way we gained him) would be a long shot!

They only deserve chances in the first team if they prove that they worthy and ready out on loan.

Edited by Cameron

Didn't JT do a loan stint as a youth? For Nottingham Forest if I remember correctly. They need to get experience before getting thrown into the PL. It only serves to improve their game. Loaning the youth doesn't mean they are trying to get rid of them.

Edited by BluesChick

Because they're not as good as him, simple really.

I really do think if obi mikel was given the development course of mancienne he would be breaking through at 22, 23 like what manncienne will.

Well he wasn't, because he was a better player. It's easy enough to understand.

This is one that is never going to go away. First off, it is going to be very hard indeed for youngsters to break into the Chelsea first team. Secondly and most crucial of all for our current crop, the rotation of managers has made it impossible for any to take the chances on them properly....

On the positive side we have a fantastic crop of youngsters, that is true no matter how anybody wants to look at it, we have 13 players out on various loans, 3 of those in the Premier League. Of those in the Championship they are doing extremely well. And Stoch is impressing everyone in Holland and causing havock on defences.

Lets go and touch on the JT point. JT came through at a different time, there was much much much less pressure on the team at the time so it was always easier to give young players a chance. JT only spent a short spell on loan, only a couple of months.

Mikel was another exception. Despite what a lot of people think Mikel is an exceptional talent, his abilities are completely natural and if you look at his footballing path it is even more incredible how good he is. A player like Mikel who is that good at that age comes along very varely.

Our set up at youth is getting better and better, we have players who can make it and some that will make it. Ancelotti will have more knowledge and faith in these players as times goes on and will be able to give them their chances. It is very obvious that the club is determined to use their youngsters, this comes from the very top. That means that it WILL happen at some point.

Mancienne, Cork, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Stoch, Sinclair, Van Aanholt, Di Santo will all get their chance at some point in the future with the first team. Then after that ther are any number of players who can follow in their footsteps.

Esk you might know i read somewhere the Miroslav got injured in the europa league when he was tackled? Hurting his knee?

Edit: on his official website it said he was injured in a europa league game.

Edited by STEV3O

Esk is right, they will get their chances. Young players should be giving chances, Manicenne showed everyone last season what kind of talent he had and surprised everyone that he came in and just help defend. I thinik that we should try some of our youngsters in cup matches, either for half a match or a full game, wither way they are getting the oppertunity to play for the first 11 and it would rest some of our players who are working hard in the EPL and CL for Chelsea and either the World Cup Qaulifers or Euro or like most ACON for their contury. If we gave Hutchinson and Di Santo and co some game in the FA or League cup then it would help them gain confidence that they could become first eleven players. I want players like Borini, who came from the youth, to replace Drogba when he retires. But without a long term manager then we can't really give the youngsters that chance. Like i said in another thread on here, if Hiddink been in charge of Chelsea before February, i think he would have given more youngsters an oppertunity like he did with Mancienne. Let's just hope we have found a manager who is tactically and emotionally ready for the pressure he faces later in the season, someone who can stay at this club for a long term.

An 18 year old is at the centre of the storm. He is the jewel of our academy. I can only imagine the burden he will be under to live up to all the expectations as the Club have gone to such extents to snap him and because of him the Club has been handed a very severe Ban.

Its one of those issues which could make him or break him as a player.