Yuri Zhirkov

DavidEU

It might not have been a great period for Yury on a personal level, but he still had a successful spell with us - let's not forget, he is one of our Double winners, and for that reason he should be forever remembered.

absolutely! when Ashley went down for those months,that could have totally derailed our season,but he came in and done a good job for us and played his part to earn his medals.

Good luck Yury.you won`t be forgotten.

i only took his sig down because i thought i was bringing him bad luck last season.

Hey guys, you can not even imagine how fans greeted Zhirkov in Moscow. Before the match Russia - Serbia burned his shirt, while playing Advocaat was forced to replace it prematurely. The reasons for this behavior can read these links. It should be understood that if he went to the enemies of CSKA(former club) in Spartak or Zenit, then such a reaction would not be.

An article about Zhirkov

http://morussia.blogspot.com/2011/08/artiom-rudnev-not-zhirkov.html

But first read the articles about his new club Anji, to betterunderstand the situation in the Russian football and society

http://morussia.blogspot.com/2011/07/islamic-terrorism-in-kavkaz-clubs.html

and

http://morussia.blogspot.com/2011/06/anzhi-breaks-records-at-fixed-matches.html

I'm shocked! Why leave England?

• 4 months later...

I wanted Bayern but was sold to Chelsea - Zhirkov

http://football.uk.r...3B.php?rpc=401

Zhirkov, 28, said that no matter how well he had been playing, the then Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti would always prefer England midfielder Frank Lampard.

"Psychologically I also feel much better in Russia because at Chelsea I had problems," he said. "For example, I would play 10 matches in a row, then Lampard would return from an injury and right away I would find myself seating on the bench.

"If you played well or badly it made no difference. It's not that I was offended but I just wanted to know why this was happening."

• 1 month later...

Looking back I can't help but blame Carlo for Yuri never becoming a Chelsea great here despite being a classy winger. Carlo never seem to have any trust in him for no reason. And would only play him at LB or CM just so Malouda could play at LW. I can understand in the double winning season when Malouda was on top form. But the next season when he was shit for long periods, Carlo decided that Malouda would be in his group of players who must never been dropped no matter how crap they play (I think Malouda started every PL game), even though Zhirkov easily could have replaced him. In my mind Carlo is the reason he never hit the ground running (with the exception of injury), I remember when he got over the knee injury and was available since October, Carlo did not give him his PL debut until bloody December!

Looking back I can't help but blame Carlo for Yuri never becoming a Chelsea great here despite being a classy winger. Carlo never seem to have any trust in him for no reason. And would only play him at LB or CM just so Malouda could play at LW. I can understand in the double winning season when Malouda was on top form. But the next season when he was shit for long periods, Carlo decided that Malouda would be in his group of players who must never been dropped no matter how crap they play (I think Malouda started every PL game), even though Zhirkov easily could have replaced him. In my mind Carlo is the reason he never hit the ground running (with the exception of injury), I remember when he got over the knee injury and was available since October, Carlo did not give him his PL debut until bloody December!

Don't forget Zhirkov played w/out his family being able to come over. I think this had a major effect on the Yuri.