Man City 1-0 Chelsea

Levi Colwill set to miss Chelsea’s FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City with foot injury

https://theathletic.com/5426395/2024/04/18/levi-colwill-injury-Chelsea-man-city/

Screenshot-2024-04-18-at-15.55.02-e17134

Chelsea defender Levi Colwill is losing his bid to return from a toe injury in time to face Manchester City in the FA Cup semi final this weekend.

Colwill has missed Chelsea’s last six matches with the problem. The issue, which was eventually diagnosed as a metatarsophalangeal joint ligament injury, was first sustained against Crystal Palace in February but got worse following the 2-2 draw with Brentford a month later.

The England international, who had to wear a protective boot as part of his rehabilitation, started light training a few weeks ago and targeted making the showpiece occasion against Pep Guardiola’s side at Wembley Stadium.

But while the 21-year-old is making progress, it looks like the game is going to come too early for the centre-back to make the matchday squad. The Premier League games at Arsenal and Aston Villa next week are now being seen as more likely to make a comeback.

Colwill started Chelsea’s impressive 1-1 draw at Manchester City two months ago alongside Axel Disasi. But Chelsea head coach Mauricio Pochettino seems set to have to choose between Thiago Silva, Trevoh Chalobah, Benoit Badiashile and Disasi to line up in central defence against them on Saturday evening.

5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

always the optimist!

🙄

I was optimistic before the league cup and got burned for it , not fooling myself again whilst this loser is the coach 

18 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

The fact we should be a lot fresher gives a lot of optimism. Cut out the individual errors and bring in the same ruthlessness up front like we saw against Everton, we should win. 

It would hurt so much more if we actually beat City, take momentum in the final....only to be given a lesson by Ten Hag and his boys in the final.   United will rock up for the final with only 1 game-plan, mark Palmer for the whole game and wait for counter attacks. 

United gets those 1-2 chances on the counter and bam, Garnacho/Rashford/Fernandes becomes a hero. 

1 hour ago, lucio said:

I was optimistic before the league cup and got burned for it , not fooling myself again whilst this loser is the coach 

Exactly having Poch in a cup final is like starting the game with 10 men.   Where's the fear factor, where's the winning mentality supposed to come from? 

Just look at what Real Madrid did to City, they absorbed all the pressure, had 2-3 heart stopping moments when KDB should have buried the game, completed the 120 minutes and then got over the line on penalties.  

Bottlechino will bottle again .  If he is serious he will drop Enzo .

Caicedo and Gallagher have better chemistry together  and on  that pitch on Wembley  you'll need running while Enzo is lethargic

3 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Exactly having Poch in a cup final is like starting the game with 10 men.   Where's the fear factor, where's the winning mentality supposed to come from? 

Just look at what Real Madrid did to City, they absorbed all the pressure, had 2-3 heart stopping moments when KDB should have buried the game, completed the 120 minutes and then got over the line on penalties.  

True , there is 0 point any fans talking about trophies until this guy is sacked 

Agree, they will both play. Would Alvarez be such a downgrade from Haaland at this time? maybe at pure finishing inside the box, but an actual improvement in other areas too.

Edited by robsblubot

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

The thing is even in the unlikely case we beat them by some lucky charm I could never celebrate cos we are guaranteed to lose the final. 

Even if Coventry got to the final by a miracle , poch will still piss himself 

10 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Haaland and Du Bruyne are doubtful for tomorrow.

KDB could play a cameo role from the bench and he'd destroy our defense for fun. 

8 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Would Alvarez be such a downgrade from Haaland at this time? maybe at pure finishing inside the box, but an actual improvement in other areas too.

Either way, it won't matter.   If City's players feel like turning up and putting in a decent shift, they'll get the win.    

Yeah it's a super long shot. Still, it's one game, and they've fucked up against lesser teams before; it does not happen often, but it does happen. Early yellow or red for an important player and everything changes. A blunder, and it's a different game. Yes, we are more likely to make blunders than they are 😅 still one can hope.

It's an exciting moment, and I'm sure Poch is telling the players exactly that. After all the pressure is on them, and not our young side.

21 minutes ago, Vytis33 said:

Didn’t he say something similar about Potter too?

Pep loves hyping up shit coaches when they manage rivals 

“I'd say to Todd Boehly, give Graham Potter time,” Guardiola said. “Give him time. All the managers need time and he is right. “At Barcelona, I didn't need time for two seasons because I had Messi.”

https://www.11v11.com/teams/Chelsea/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Manchester City/

This will be our 9th FA CUP game against Manchester City.

Chelsea have only won 3 out of 8 FA CUP MATCHES AGAINST MAN CITY.

Our last win against Man City in the FA CUP was 17 April 2021 at home with a 1-0 win

Our Last FA CUP game against Man City was a 4-0 loss away at City on 8 January 2023

Edited by KEVINAA