Chelsea 0-1 Aston Villa

James

Chelsea press conference - Mauricio Pochettino on Gusto red card, Jackson and Aston Villa

Ollie Watkins' strike ensured that Aston Villa came away victorious at Stamford Bridge after Malo Gusto received a red card in the second period

https://www.football.london/Chelsea-fc/news/Chelsea-press-conference-live-mauricio-27778936

Welcome to football.london's live coverage of Mauricio Pochettino's press conference. Chelsea fell to defeat against Aston Villa after Ollie Watkins' goal separated the sides.

It was another frustrating afternoon for the Blues who also have additional headaches after Nicolas Jackson and Malo Gusto picked up suspensions. The former Villarreal forward picked his fifth yellow card of the season, while Gusto was awarded a red card for a challenge on Lucas Digne.

It was a third game in a row that the Blues could not trouble the scoreline as the Villain's high line ensured that Chelsea's forwards were consistently offside.

Armando Broja was able to make his return to the team having picked up his ACL injury against Aston Villa in December. He was unable to make the difference we he came on in the second period.

Follow all of the updates from the press conference below with Scott Trotter.

What is your assessment?

The first half we deserve a little bit more, I think we had control of the game. Second half we started on top of them but after the red card, the game changed. We need to judge 60 minutes of 11v11 and then with 10 men, it's two different games.

What did you think of the red card?

Being honest, it was in front of me but I didn't see and now I still didn't see. I can't say it wasn't a red card, we need to trust in the referees and VAR. Difficult to judge because I didn't see it.

Malo Gusto did not need to make the challenge?

Of course, it's our responsibility and the referee's responsibility, we cannot blame VAR or the referee. In this situation we need to act in a different way. I'm not going to blame or say anything against Malo Gusto because something some situations happen in football. That situation can effect the game in a negative way.

READ MORE: Chelsea player ratings vs Aston Villa as Disasi impresses, Silva and Gusto errors costly

READ MORE: Reece James issues Chelsea injury update ahead of Aston Villa clash after 'tough' weeks

Nicolas Jackson getting a fifth booking, do they need to grow up?

We were talking, we need to grow up like a team, not only in an individual way. I think players like Nico who are so young and feeling the Premier League and is learning, they need time. In this type of game, we are competing and want to win and football is about winning but also players, when they are young, need to learn, and experience and make mistakes. That's why we feel disappointed as there are too many situations like this and I agree with you too many things like this and in the end we are losing the game and we are in situation we need to change as soon as possible.

Particularly frustrated because it's a cheap yellow, and are Armando Broja/Reece James ready to come in?

I think was now was good to see Broja after nine or 10 months. I think to have the possibility to have different options in the team. He needs to build his confidence also. It's about to learn, about the process. We are a young team that is in process needing to learn altogether. It is difficult to talk about positives because when you lose it is difficult. We need to talk about positive things, we need to keep the positives in. There's no doubt with time the team is going to perform. Of course I cannot hide the situation, it's a situation that disappoints all of the fans, the club, us and the players.

Last season was Chelsea's worst this century, and this season is worse at the moment. Have the owners said anything about why they think it's been bad?

Give me time because I didn't see them after the game. They are disappointed, they arrived at the club and are so excited to build a project. Of course they feel disappointed but at the same time they need to support the plan.

What is the solution in front of goal?

Work. Giving trust and then confidence. We have the squad that we have. We cannot change anything. We try to build the confidence and to give them all of the support that they need because they need to perform on the pitch. The performance is good, I don't want to say it is excellent, but we are missing being clinical in front of goal. We need to keep going, working. To find a solution, we start tomorrow again for the game Wednesday and build the belief and the confidence and the trust and hope we can score Wednesday.

Conceded a goal from your own corner and left open?

I think it was a little bit unlucky. How many chances did we have like Aston Villa? We block the shot and they shoot and it touches the post and goes in. For us, how many one versus one with Emiliano Martinez. It was a little bit unlucky also that happened. We need to accept the reality. It was a little bit unlucky because how many chances did they create? Take of the set-pieces, not many. With 10 men we were forcing them to go back and we create too many chances. That is unlucky, that is the situation. We need to be aware about what is going on but in some ways we need to be calm because the team is creating, the team is alive, the team is fighting in every single action. We cannot say anything about the players, we cannot say they give up after 70 minutes, they were fighting until the end with one player less. It's about keeping working and hope that we can change the run as soon as possible.

Just watched the game and the better team won. horror tackle aside, Gusto looks pretty average to me, but again like the vast majority of our signings yet another work in progress.

One team had Zaniolo as left winger, while the other had Mudryk. Mudryk has one strength and that is through balls as he found Jackson (another poor game) in the 25th minute. He really can do nothing else tho. He attempted to dribble past players and consistently lost the football every time.

A bit better from Caicedo, but what did people expect from him moving from Brighton?

The goal: Thiago Silva error and Sanchez lack of quality (Villa's goalie is twice the player too). Colwill did well in that play actually.

The midfield is really worrying: club needs to convince Enzo that he's not a CAM. I'd say he's been awful in his new role. I also think Gallagher is better going forward as he at least has mobility and shoots. Enzo does not produce anything in attack... we are losing one of the few WC players we had left. 😕 

We are completely dependent on Sterling; when he's on form we can score and win, if not, like today, we will struggle. Team does not shoot enough either. Some of the blame lies with Enzo, as mentioned above.

I honestly think folks here and Pochettino have a very different idea about the overall quality of the squad; I tend to agree with Poch on this one. No, I don't agree with all his choices, but I understand why he makes them.

Edited by robsblubot

I cannot believe how badly the club has gone to shit in the past few years especially how the training and physio have been completely fucked up.

The squad is too fucking bloated and is full of too many lazy second rate players with no hunger or belief not fit for PL and who should not even be at the bridge how can Poch or anyone else begin to sort that mess out.

I will not waste any time or money on this unrecognizable shitshow that are definitely not the Chelsea i have always known and are now owned by a spiv baseball man yank.

Edited by Mourhino days
More to add to comment

Fucking garbage again, honestly some of the players are utter wank.

This fucker in goal and the shit can of championship striker Jackson are absolute fucking shambolic.

Don't; get me started on the likes Mudryk the fucking weak minded shit cunt.

We didn't buy a top striker in the summer and allow Sanchez to guard the sticks, we got all we fucking deserve 

2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

A bit better from Caicedo, but what did people expect from him moving from Brighton?

Given the circumstances, I don't expect anything less than 115+ million football from him, meanwhile I see a man totally lost, which doesn't surprise me at all tbh.

This was not a match without scoring opportuunities, even after Gusto's red card.
But if you shoot the pigeons consistently time after time after time what do you expect ?
I am disillusioned even with Enzo. All he can do is sky the ball from the best of positions.

Edited by cosmicway

There are some fundamentals not being adhered to that just don’t make sense…

Playing Enzo so far advanced, playing Colwill at LB, persisting with the likes of Sterling Gallagher and Silva. Not putting enough faith in Mudryk, Palmer, Madueke, Maatsen. Not playing Chilwell at LB.

For me... 

The Sterling 2v1 not squaring it to Jackson chance is beyond unforgivable.. we would have gone 1 up and gone on to win with the way we were playing.

Let's face it, we were the better side before that red card but that shitcunt Sterling has shown his true colours... that's why Pep let him go.

Edited by DDA

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

For me... 

The Sterling 2v1 not squaring it to Jackson chance is beyond unforgivable.. we would have gone 1 up and gone on to win with the way we were playing.

Let's face it, we were the better side before that red card but that shitcunt Sterling has shown his true colours... that's why Pep let him go.

Yeah Pep knew he was done. 

NEVER wanted him here. He has no footballing brain

44 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Given the circumstances, I don't expect anything less than 115+ million football from him, meanwhile I see a man totally lost, which doesn't surprise me at all tbh.

It was always the risk - most people thought we overpaid for a one season player.

I 've been scratching my head for months now to find a similar case is in world football and what happened in the end.
Teams that could n't keep up with the budget requirements I can recall a plenty - sold out the players or gradually fell from grace or reemerged after a few years when sponsors were found.
Also transfer bans making it difficult for teams to renew their squad.
But this ?
Anyone with an idea ?
United maybe ? Arsenal ?

Edited by cosmicway

1 hour ago, shrenshah said:

Why can poch not play chilwell lb and colwill cb

Whats wrong with him

Silva seems done, need to now look at creatimg partnerships in disasi and colwill

----- Sanchez -----

Gusto-Disasi-Levi-Chilwell 

-----Caicedo--Enzo-----

Sterling---Palmer---Mudryk

----------Jackson----------

Am I crazy for thinking that it is so simple, and just play this team? 

10 hours ago, cfccrost said:

For me we dont play in our sthrenghts, 

Mudryk has pace and he is nowhere near opposotion backline, our backline sitts deep because of thiago and disasi who are slower.

Chillwel doesnt play at lb who could be a constant goal threat on the left side, colwill is there

Enzo is a dlp and plays as an amf

Why not tp ut palmer there, why connor plays as he dont provide us with anything

I hope someone on the coaching staff really has this opinion in mind and pushes this idea really hard on Pochettino. Because it seems poch really believed on it

Meanwhile, some of us, it's really obvious that these things need to be questioned regarding how Pochettino sets up our team.

If Pochettino keeps doing this, I just don't see things getting better. These poor and embarrassing results keep happening, and his time here could be far shorter than we hope for.

It's not solely because the players are still raw, inconsistent, and lacking confidence. Some of Pochettino's ideas about how he sets up the team are truly mind-boggling.

I really don't understand some of his choices.

I really don't understand why he keep making our team very one dimensional, making our right side as the only possible sources of creating chances.

It's like he disabled our offensive aspect from our left area, by making colwill as our lcb, lb, wb or whatever his role is. And isolated whoever our forward in the left side

It makes us really depending on sterling, which is like inviting our own trouble, since sterling himself not someone dependable that much, his inconsistent and his decision making is really hot and cold. It's like pochettino think we have someone like kdb, prime hazard or silva. But actually we have someone who has consistency and fotballing brain issue ala sterling

Edited by dimmas

1 hour ago, Thor said:

----- Sanchez -----

-----Caicedo--Enzo-----

It's that simple 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

----- Sanchez -----

-----Caicedo--Enzo-----

Want to know why in 6 games we have not had Ben Chilwell, our fittest player, playing in his normal LB position he's played all his life.