Welcome Mauricio Pochettino

Posted (edited)

Chelsea owners could lose faith from players in unique dressing room disaster

https://Chelsea.news/2024/05/Chelsea-owners-could-lose-faith-from-players-in-unique-dressing-room-disaster/

todd-boehly-behdad-eghbali-efds-1024x640

Chelsea have sacked Mauricio Pochettino, a move that has shocked a lot of people despite the hints in the last few weeks that it could be coming as the uncertainty about his future grew.

The surprise comes from the fact that the Blues were doing well at last in the league, and Pochettino’s departure comes just as he completed the best run of league results we’ve had under the new ownership.

More than in some past sackings, where the coach’s departure has seemed to come in part (or almost entirely) because they’ve lost the dressing room, this is quite the opposite situation. The players loved Pochettino, and made that really clear whenever he was under pressure.

He’s known for his ability to connect with players, and that was essential this year as the pressure rose. Plenty of other coaches would have cracked, but he was able to keep things pretty steady. In the end, it didn’t help him.

A potential new issue developing

All of this means we could see an interesting and unique situation develop where the players start to lose faith in the ownership because of their decisions. Some of these guys have only been here for two years and have seen 3 of their coaches sacked. What on earth must they think of the owners and sporting directors who are picking these guys and then sacking them? Have we ever seen ownership (rather than management) lose the dressing room? It’s not like the players can do much given the contracts they’re on, but it creates a nightmare for morale.

The reaction to the news has already started reaching their social media, and we expect plenty more in the days to come. The first reactions are coming out on social media, with players thanking Pochettino. Of course they’d do this with any manager, but just from listening to them this season you can tell they really mean it this time.

Edited by Vesper

Posted (edited)

I 've been watching football for centuries.
My first visit to a football stadium was in March 1959, when I kicked the radio man as I have told you.
His sister in law, the judge's wife, told me he was supporting a rival team so I kicked him.
Well, the occasions when I saw a manager making a team or breaking a team are rare and few between.
Typically if the squad is poor they can't buy a 100 million x 11 new squad, so the manager gets the blame.
Typically also if they actually do have the 100 million x 11, then any old chap they take as manager becomes a hero.
There are exceptions - managers who made history. The exception verifies the rule.
Ferenc Pushkas imo never became a great manager. 
But with the crop of players he had plus his name he became a hero for Panathinaikos in the seventies.
Stefan Bobek the other Panathinaikos great hero, unfairly sacked by the junta, upon his return in 1975 did n't
last for more than a couple of months - but the team was old and going no place.
Now with this Pochettino story I can buy it if the clownlakies already have something better in the oven.
Otherwise ?

Edited by cosmicway

Todd Boehly was Poch IN, but Behdad Eghbali was Poch OUT, and we know who won — report

The real power

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2024/5/22/24162143/todd-boehly-was-poch-in-but-behdad-eghbali-was-poch-out-and-we-know-who-won-report

2139230996.0.jpg

There’s been a power shift at the top of the Chelsea hierarchy, one that’s been going on slowly and steadily for well over a year. If it wasn’t obvious by now — and judging by some of the wider media reporting, it hasn’t been — it now very clearly should be.

The true power at Chelsea, at BlueCo, rests with Behdad Eghbali and, by extension, Clearlake Capital: i.e. the money.

Boehly was the public face, and to most and in some respect, has remained the public face. He’s got the gift of gab; he’s not afraid of the spotlight. And he is the Chairman as well — at least for the next few years still. But football decisions have been largely handled by the co-sporting directors, Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart since their appointments back in 2023, while the final say in anything and everything appears to be Eghbali’s.

For some hard evidence, we don’t need to look any further than the decision to part with Mauricio Pochettino. According to ESPN, “Boehly was keen on retaining Pochettino but Eghbali wanted to replace him with a new coach”.

Boehly, making the recent sports business conference rounds, has been talking up progress under Pochettino of late, espousing the ownership group’s patience and vision, and claiming that all we wanted was some stability going forward to keep building on this momentum. Oops.

Pochettino confirmed after Sunday’s match that he had dinner with Boehly on Friday, but (reportedly) The Toddster wasn’t even present this week (at least physically) as the rest of the small council kindly ushered Pochettino out the door.

Chaos and Trophies, but still without the trophies then.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Todd Boehly was Poch IN, but Behdad Eghbali was Poch OUT, and we know who won — report

The real power

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2024/5/22/24162143/todd-boehly-was-poch-in-but-behdad-eghbali-was-poch-out-and-we-know-who-won-report

2139230996.0.jpg

There’s been a power shift at the top of the Chelsea hierarchy, one that’s been going on slowly and steadily for well over a year. If it wasn’t obvious by now — and judging by some of the wider media reporting, it hasn’t been — it now very clearly should be.

The true power at Chelsea, at BlueCo, rests with Behdad Eghbali and, by extension, Clearlake Capital: i.e. the money.

Boehly was the public face, and to most and in some respect, has remained the public face. He’s got the gift of gab; he’s not afraid of the spotlight. And he is the Chairman as well — at least for the next few years still. But football decisions have been largely handled by the co-sporting directors, Paul Winstanley and Laurence Stewart since their appointments back in 2023, while the final say in anything and everything appears to be Eghbali’s.

For some hard evidence, we don’t need to look any further than the decision to part with Mauricio Pochettino. According to ESPN, “Boehly was keen on retaining Pochettino but Eghbali wanted to replace him with a new coach”.

Boehly, making the recent sports business conference rounds, has been talking up progress under Pochettino of late, espousing the ownership group’s patience and vision, and claiming that all we wanted was some stability going forward to keep building on this momentum. Oops.

Pochettino confirmed after Sunday’s match that he had dinner with Boehly on Friday, but (reportedly) The Toddster wasn’t even present this week (at least physically) as the rest of the small council kindly ushered Pochettino out the door.

Chaos and Trophies, but still without the trophies then.

Ok.
Let's have Eghbali then as long as he knows what he is doing (and I 'm not assuming either that he does or he does n't).
Let's wait for his choice.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

Chelsea owner who never wanted Pochettino came “armed with data” to prove 2 failings of the coach

https://Chelsea.news/2024/05/Chelsea-owner-who-never-wanted-pochettino-came-armed-with-data-to-prove-2-failings-of-the-coach/

4975951-1024x608.jpg

Ben Jacobs is as well connected as they come at Chelsea, and we were expecting some really juicy information from him on the events at Chelsea tonight.

Mauricio Pochettino has been sacked, and information about the surprising move is coming from all over. Jacob’s angle focuses on how the ownership side came to this decision.

It was already previously reported that Behdad Eghbali, one of the “co-controlling owners” was not a fan of the Pochettino appointment in the first place. Reports were that he was “never fully convinced” by the decision to bring the former Spurs boss in.

Given that, he was never going to go easy on Pochettino, and it sounds like he led the charge on the club side to part ways. Jacobs reports that “especially” Eghbali “came armed with data” to the end of season meetings with Pochettino. A lot of the data this season was good and pointed towards the improvement we finally saw in the last two months, but they apparently focused on the team’s struggles with missing big chances, and at set pieces.

I like data and empirical evidence to back up decisions as much as Boehly and co. But football is also about people and dressing rooms. The players will now be thinking here was a manager here who's getting things right. By all accounts, the manager market is weak and for that reason alone, this was an avoidable decision. 

Next season we will start good regardless who is the coach mark my words. Because we always do good into the next season when we finish the season on a strong. 

The next manager will reap the rewards of the first season of poch. 

5 hours ago, milka said:

Tuchel will never come back here he wait United . No one elite gaffer will go to Chelsea . We hunting McKenna and Justin Bieber .

Tuchel is hardly elite. His league record is pretty bad and I'd stay clear of him even if he were interested. I liked his leadership but for years, he just wasn't able to think of what to do with his attackers the last time he was here. His time in Bayern is also very unflattering. 

2 minutes ago, bluesman2610 said:

I guess some can stop blaming TB now as he’s just the face doesn’t make decisions since that first window

Was just about to say this. He's the face of the club, gets all the shit but clearly Eghbali is the guy. 

Posted (edited)

Poch's secret of latter day success is he dispensed with man to man marking.
The running off the ball was to find spaces and create attacking situations rather than "safety first" - hence we were able to score more goals.
The drawback was no clean sheets.
Another thing going for him was many of the opposition were tired. Spurs and Villa for example did not last the marathon.

I don't know, do you approve of this ?
Or are you looking forward to a Mou type of system ?
But the last Mou team had of course teeth up front. Eden - Diego - Cesc.

Anyway with the exception of the Arsenal match we were happy the last few weeks.
The big titles "Poch out" all but disappeared.
Overall he was better than Tuchel in his last two months - Potter - Lamps but now whether we like it or not some new adventure begins.

Edited by cosmicway

3 hours ago, cosmicway said:

Current odds for next Chelsea manager via Sky Bet

Roberto De Zerbi- 15/8

Ruben Amorim- 5/1

Kieran McKenna- 6/1

Sebastian Hoeness- 6/1

Thomas Tuchel- 7/1

Jose Mourinho- 10/1

Antonio Conte- 16/1

Julian Nagelsmann- 16/1

Looking like de Zerbi is the standout candidate. 

Hoeness recently extended contract and rejected Bayern. Nagelsmann- too is tied till 26

Just now, Strike said:

Looking like de Zerbi is the standout candidate. 

Hoeness recently extended contract and rejected Bayern. Nagelsmann- too is tied till 26

Brtn did not impress me this year.
I liked Bournemouth better.

3 hours ago, Strike said:

Tuchel is hardly elite. His league record is pretty bad and I'd stay clear of him even if he were interested. I liked his leadership but for years, he just wasn't able to think of what to do with his attackers the last time he was here. His time in Bayern is also very unflattering. 

Considering what we've been getting lately, yeah he is. 😆 De Zerbi just like Potter had no "time" at Bayern. It'd be a dream job for either one.

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

Just got done watching a video about De Zerbi’s tactics and continue to think he’d be ideal. He has that same sort of obsessive, maniacal approach to coaching that Pep does. This is what this squad needs: extreme tactical discipline and understanding EXACTLY where to be at all times. Like City, like Liverpool, like his Brighton side last season. The movements, the triangles, the positioning is masterful and it comes as effortless second nature to the players.

We need this sort of micromanaging coach badly. It just so happens that he’s now right there to be had without any trouble of dealing with his club.

He’s the only name that’s we’ve been linked to now that I’d be happy with at this point.Theres a reason his style caught the eye of these clubs that are renowned for playing beautiful, controlled football as a successor to legends like Guardiola.

This idea that a manager will come and make players become what they are not is really bizarre to me. It works at lower tier sides, but not at this level in a level playing field. It's really more about the players. The manager either adapts to the players he's got, or he goes to the market and signs what he wants, but it's still the players executing on the pitch.
The right tactics can get you there, being competitive, but in the end it's always the top players making the difference, which is why they are so expensive.
Also, Brighton was absolutely dreadful this season.... another few rounds and they would end fighting relegation.

43 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Brtn did not impress me this year.
I liked Bournemouth better.

You are being nice here. Brighton, for me, was one of the worst sides in the PL this season. I "made" myself watch their games to see what the was fuzz about and saw absolutely awful football played.