Man City 2-0 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

10 minutes ago, zinctek said:

city had a make shift team out and still walked all over us. that used to be us 😞 times change i guess.

Did we not have a make-shift team out tonight ourselves?

If we're talking about general play, agreed City look far more slick and drilled than we do. But it was hardly a walkover. We had the best chances, and a higher expected goals than them, our decision making in the final 3rd is routinely abysmal and there's no clinical edge. 

That isn't something that is going to immediately improve.

The acid test now is this weekend. It's become as close to must win as possible. And if it isn't quite must win it's definitely must not lose. 

17 minutes ago, zinctek said:

city had a make shift team out and still walked all over us. that used to be us 😞 times change i guess.

That city make shift team could win the league, city don't have a make shift team they have 2 world class teams in 1 squad 

10 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

You have to blame Roman for that, under him, we were never really well run. It was a hire and fire philosophy and yes, it worked, we managed to get some silverware, but football changes, and this philosophy just doesnt work anymore like in old times, its a relict from the past like the coaches that made us successfull back then (Mourinho). Liverpool, City, Arsenal rn, or even Freiburg show, that consistency and a clear structure is the key to success in modern football. Thats why Im glad Roman is gone in a way. Just throwing money on the transfer market and fire the coach every 2 years will end in failure, just look at United. 

Thats why I hope Boehly will work closely with Potter and will stick to him for the next few years, even when we will struggle for some time. In the end, it will pay off, as u can see with Arsenal rn. 

Only if potter evolves tho. He has nice ideas and comes across as a genuine personable guy but the common theme in all his teams has been wasting chances which is our biggest weakness. So getting him was quite bittersweet to me from the very beginning. Klopp and pep came with a clear record of transforming big clubs and winning big trophies . Arteta and Streich are yet to do so . Time will tell but we have to be prepared to win fk all for 2-3 years now. 

I'm not really worried about KK or Cucu to be honest. Our defence will look much better as soon as the midfield is sorted out. 

We conceded from a set piece which forced us to open up a bit more against the best team in the world. 

I was impressed by the performance from a build up perspective, showed some good signs when we needed to. 

Cucu and KK will look better with a more solid midfield. Cucu isn't some terrible player like you guys are making out. Brighton went to City and despite losing are the only team to have more possession than City. Give Potter time, and he will instil that in these players and new signings - and Cucu was a part of that style, so he should latch on nicely. 

Reality is - this will take time. You guys are expecting overnight miracles. This was a step in the right direction despite the result. Not too long ago we were completely outplayed by both United and Arsenal at home. Hall is a bright spot as well. 

58 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

3 international titles in the last 2 years. We have very high standards. Imagine being an United fan, imagine being a Liveprool fan before Klopp. Imagine being a Spurs fan in general, imagine being an Arsenal fan. Us Chelsea fans are spoilt af.  

It was clear form the beginning that it will take years rather than months to get us back to the levels where we were. I will judge the Boehly era in 3 to 4 years, no earlier than that. 

Sorry, but 3-4 years?

We're not a WIP like Newcastle and even they're doing better at the moment.

Yes we have to cut Potter and Boehly some slack, but let's not blow it out of proportion.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'm not really worried about KK or Cucu to be honest. Our defence will look much better as soon as the midfield is sorted out. 

We conceded from a set piece which forced us to open up a bit more against the best team in the world. 

I was impressed by the performance from a build up perspective, showed some good signs when we needed to. 

Cucu and KK will look better with a more solid midfield. Cucu isn't some terrible player like you guys are making out. Brighton went to City and despite losing are the only team to have more possession than City. Give Potter time, and he will instil that in these players and new signings - and Cucu was a part of that style, so he should latch on nicely. 

Reality is - this will take time. You guys are expecting overnight miracles. This was a step in the right direction despite the result. Not too long ago we were completely outplayed by both United and Arsenal at home. Hall is a bright spot as well. 

100% agree. Its time for us to finally go through the much needed pain to see a proper transformation in our identity as a club and team on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You saw better movement because City were not defense minded - even after their second goal.
You saw better movement against AC Milan too.
It's when the opponents play defensively that we struggle - much more than better teams like City and Bayern do.

Why was Tuchel sacked? What difference have this guy even made. No aggression at all, steady backward and sideways passes even when we are losing a match. Bad attacking mentality. Wrong positioning of players! 

It is not about fans demanding for new players every time, condemning them after few months and demanding new ones. Nobody asked questions on why most of these players flourish where they played before and still flourish after they are sold off. Even if we buy Nkunku, Halaand and the rest, they will still struggle with this kind of layer back football we play. Imagine the way we lost to Arsenal. So annoying in our own home losing in that manner. How many shots on target?

I understand that we lack much creativity in midfield but a good coach would set up the team to eliminate or minimize that weakness. Why not play two strong no 4 and let others attack freely up front. We are on a losing streak. 

6 minutes ago, maxlev said:

Why was Tuchel sacked? What difference have this guy even made. No aggression at all, steady backward and sideways passes even when we are losing a match. Bad attacking mentality. Wrong positioning of players! 

It is not about fans demanding for new players every time, condemning them after few months and demanding new ones. Nobody asked questions on why most of these players flourish where they played before and still flourish after they are sold off. Even if we buy Nkunku, Halaand and the rest, they will still struggle with this kind of layer back football we play. Imagine the way we lost to Arsenal. So annoying in our own home losing in that manner. How many shots on target?

I understand that we lack much creativity in midfield but a good coach would set up the team to eliminate or minimize that weakness. Why not play two strong no 4 and let others attack freely up front. We are on a losing streak. 

We don't have 2 strong number 4s

2 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

We don't have 2 strong number 4s

True but let's look for a better solution to it and that is the job of a good coach. I dislike it so much when a big team like Chelsea keeps passing the ball backwards and sideways instead of attacking opponents aggressively in a consistent manner. Yea I understand Almighty Kante(who also do a very effective job for us) is unavailable but that why can't the coach find a solution to it. It annoys me when a team like Leeds united with lesser talented players play good attacking football at all times but we play dull, backward and negative football. Even if we buy a superstar who is very creative in midfield now, does it mean if such a player becomes injured we move to point zero?

Mehn this is sad and bad.

19 minutes ago, maxlev said:

True but let's look for a better solution to it and that is the job of a good coach. I dislike it so much when a big team like Chelsea keeps passing the ball backwards and sideways instead of attacking opponents aggressively in a consistent manner. Yea I understand Almighty Kante(who also do a very effective job for us) is unavailable but that why can't the coach find a solution to it. It annoys me when a team like Leeds united with lesser talented players play good attacking football at all times but we play dull, backward and negative football. Even if we buy a superstar who is very creative in midfield now, does it mean if such a player becomes injured we move to point zero?

Leeds have bought players to play that way, it's easy to say we have better calibre of players which in part is true to a degree, but the players we have are not high intense attacking creative players. While Leeds players are in one regard not classed "as good" they was bought on purpose for a system and style. Our team for atleast the last 10 years had been made up of players that suit at least 3 different managers styles of play. There is a reason man city and Liverpool are so good, and that's purely given their manager time and players to suit what they want, it really is that simple.

47 minutes ago, maxlev said:

playing dull, backward and sideways passing too much and negative football was exactly what tuchel's team keep showing to us week in week out.
That's the reason why some fans losing hope with tuchel, because he seem failed to give us any progression and actual improvement during 2 years under his tenure.

Edited by dimmas

58 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Leeds have bought players to play that way, it's easy to say we have better calibre of players which in part is true to a degree, but the players we have are not high intense attacking creative players. While Leeds players are in one regard not classed "as good" they was bought on purpose for a system and style. Our team for atleast the last 10 years had been made up of players that suit at least 3 different managers styles of play. There is a reason man city and Liverpool are so good, and that's purely given their manager time and players to suit what they want, it really is that simple.

I understand you very well but I think for team like ours at which managers are hired and fired at will, the managers coming in should only be concerned abt getting results in matches and that can only be achieved by playing a potent attacking game at all times not playing negative. Don't be surprise if the current manager gets boothed out before the season ends while the owner comes up to give a flimsy excuse for that. I felt that the new owners will go through that patient root of trying to build a team through trust and longevity of the manager but NO, after buying players at which a particular manager wanted, u sack him and bring in a new guy that will also want his own new players. Seems nothing have changed but the annoying part is that this guy is not playing the aggressive attacking game we are known for. Every new guy from Abromovich era comes in knowing he needs to play positive and win few trophies before he gets boothed out. With what I am seeing, I doubt we will win anything this season even if all our injured first team players returns and are in form.

41 minutes ago, dimmas said:

playing dull, backward and sideways passing too much and negative football was exactly what tuchel's team keep showing to us week in week out.
That's the reason why some fans losing hope with tuchel, because he seem failed to give us any progression and actual improvement during 2 years under his tenure.

True but isn't too soon that we are seeing the same thing from the new manager?

That means after a while some of our players might start snoring on the pitch hoping to wake up at injury time. Me and you know it always get worse and the boom sacked. I hope Potter's case should rather be that we will improve and get better.

1 hour ago, maxlev said:

I understand you very well but I think for team like ours at which managers are hired and fired at will, the managers coming in should only be concerned abt getting results in matches and that can only be achieved by playing a potent attacking game at all times not playing negative. Don't be surprise if the current manager gets boothed out before the season ends while the owner comes up to give a flimsy excuse for that. I felt that the new owners will go through that patient root of trying to build a team through trust and longevity of the manager but NO, after buying players at which a particular manager wanted, u sack him and bring in a new guy that will also want his own new players. Seems nothing have changed but the annoying part is that this guy is not playing the aggressive attacking game we are known for. Every new guy from Abromovich era comes in knowing he needs to play positive and win few trophies before he gets boothed out. With what I am seeing, I doubt we will win anything this season even if all our injured first team players returns and are in form.

Not quite sure which Chelsea you have been watching past 5 of so years, we haven't been that attacking side like a man city or Liverpool, we have normally been solid at the back and a great defensive team, that had quality up top to get goals. But as far as an aggressive attacking team we haven't been one of them for a very long time.