RB Salzburg 1-2 Chelsea

ZAPHOD2319

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I haven't seen the first half yet but listened to it on the radio. Sounded like we played well in the first 45.

In the end we have the same players so we shouldn't expect miracles. 🙂

First half after 26 minutes we played some beautiful football.

2 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Seen some comments in this thread today saying, the BT sport pundits saying we played well, but it's not true blah blah etc etc, just beat a team that's lost 6 games in their last 66 games, incredible stat. Their goalkeeper played outstanding, they them self's played well, some of our play today was the best I've seen from a Chelsea team in a long while, was exciting to watch. Cucu played well at CB bar 1 mistake, Silva also made mistakes he hadn't been dug out, puli put in a shift on the right, even havertz played much better. Far more positives than negatives but reading this thread you would think we lost 6-0.

Exactly what  I was going to post but couldn't be assed.

The first 45 minuites showed some of the best football I've seen us play in a years and that's not an exaggeration. 

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I haven't seen the first half yet but listened to it on the radio. Sounded like we played well in the first 45.

In the end we have the same players so we shouldn't expect miracles. 🙂

First half was good, granted but we should be able to replicate that sort of performance level a lot more. And trying to get it closer to 90 minutes. Most weeks.

Second half we just didn’t really do anything particularly great, they definitely came out playing much better - even after their goal, it seemed as if we had run out of ideas for a bit. Second half was just a generic typical Chelsea performance which we’ve seen too much of over the last 12 months, just going through the motions.

That sort of level at times in the first 45 minutes should be the minimum standard for this group against a lot more teams than just Salzburg. Particularly ones who are hugely inferior.

@YorkshireBlue Salzburg might of been unbeaten in 40 games at home or whatever but its hardly a major achievement for us to beat them is it? I mean some of the talk of that record or reactions from the game, you’d think they were at the level of Conte’s Juventus that beat us under Di Matteo with that amazing home record/unbeaten spell or Jose’s first team here who had that spell of unbeaten home games that went to like what nearly 90 games - 86 IIRC.

It doesn’t make our win that much more impressive considering it was a game of 2 halfs, first 45 we could have been out of sight, played well but then second half we were that sort of usual Chelsea of the last 12 months that didn’t take the game by the grip of the neck, let the opposition back in, didn’t create as much, just went through the motions etc. If it finished 1-1 would it still of been brilliant then? 

Who knows what we will against Brighton at the weekend re consistency and level of performance? We have had a collection of individual brilliant moments under Potter that have won us games ie. Gallaghers goal v Palace, Kai’s goal tonight, Kepa having made some great saves in games. Not sure we’ve really seen a massive change or huge improvement as a team with him yet (but obviously not all on him) but if you’d read through the post/posts you’d find a lot more of what I’ve actually posted. Not just a comment you’ve made up by taking half of what I’ve said and adding your own twist to it trying to make me look like a bellend.

Edited by OneMoSalah

3 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Seen some comments in this thread today saying, the BT sport pundits saying we played well, but it's not true blah blah etc etc, just beat a team that's lost 6 games in their last 66 games, incredible stat. Their goalkeeper played outstanding, they them self's played well, some of our play today was the best I've seen from a Chelsea team in a long while, was exciting to watch. Cucu played well at CB bar 1 mistake, Silva also made mistakes he hadn't been dug out, puli put in a shift on the right, even havertz played much better. Far more positives than negatives but reading this thread you would think we lost 6-0.

I believe I read it was their first loss in 20 months and 40 games at home in all competitions.

We played ok, a couple of really sexy moves but we were our own worst enemies again with our wastefulness and lack of defensive resoluteness. With a mindset like this we will struggle in the really big games every time.

Today was the same inconsequential, half assed negligence we saw vs Manure just with a far worse opponent. Salzburg were one of the worst teams we would  face over the course of the season so beating them is hardly some feat. 40 games unbeaten at home means fk all when you look at the terrible group they had in the cl last year and the semi pros they play against in Austrian league. Defeating them is like defeating some relegation fodder team in PL. can be an unnerving affair but it should be expected.

So I am satisfied we grinded our a result but not ecstatic. We learned nothing new today. The real challenge was Saturday and the team failed miserably. The next real challenge will be those last 3 games before the wc break. 

Not much mention on Chalobah but he is going from strength to strength each game. He has made massive strides and had another fantastic game. To think that there was talk in summer that he may go out on loan. Thanks God! He's brilliant.

My worry is now Kepa.

For the last 15 mins he was back to his worst, mistiming and missing punches not able to collect the ball, he really needs to eradicate this from his play or we're back to square one with him.

So many times he got out muscled trying to come for the ball, he needs to be more robust take every fucker out.

He had me hiding behind the sofa everytime they crossed the ball.

Edited by bigbluewillie

Simic. What a thug. Seemed determined to take Thiago Silva out. 

Especially with that stupid Harry Kane like move when he tried to back into Silva who was rising to head the ball.

The cunt went onto foul him afterwards.

4 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

My worry is now Kepa.

For the last 15 mins he was back to his worst, mistiming and missing punches not able to collect the ball, he really needs to eradicate this from his play or we're back to square one with him.

So many times he got out muscled trying to come for the ball, he needs to be more robust take every fucker out.

He had me hiding behind the sofa everytime they crossed the ball.

Not sure he is physically able to do that. He has been playing a lot better but once teams start to bombard him with high balls, I fully expect to see old Kepa, just simply because their isn't much he can do about it as it is largely down to him being a small GK. 

As for the result, it all worked out for us. We can now play a reserve side in the next game which is great as we could do with the rest. 

6 hours ago, Stats said:

Not much mention on Chalobah but he is going from strength to strength each game. He has made massive strides and had another fantastic game. To think that there was talk in summer that he may go out on loan. Thanks God! He's brilliant.

Yes! He has had a great run of games, seems to have cut out the clumsy mistakes from his game and is overall commanding with his athleticism. Hopefully he becomes our new Rüdiger, our defense relies so much on the pace of their defenders. Even his passing was on point today. Most importantly, he is the only one who can really play next to Thiago in a back 4 without us being exposed at every counter like with K2 or Azpi there.

It seems clear and beyond doubt now that aerial ball is not Kepa's strength. He was all over the place in this part of his game despite an overall good performance. His timing, decision to come or not, his jumps, and the force he approached it with, was all poor. There were moments when he needed to basically ramp through to the ball. Instead he just half jumped and leaned towards it. 

By goalkeepers' standard he is not tall, not muscular, and not intimidating. But he is a fine keeper. He must find a way to "wing" this problem. 

Was in the stadium yesterday and I thought we played really well. Had a lot of possession, had control throughout the game, didnt hand them the ball often (going forward from counter attacks is their biggest strength) and produced some very nice combinational plays. If Auba would have been more clinical and Köhn didnt have such a great day, it could have easily been a 4:1 and noone would moan. 

PS: I love Thiago Silva 🥰

Edited by Gundalf

19 minutes ago, Da Herbsman said:

It seems clear and beyond doubt now that aerial ball is not Kepa's strength. He was all over the place in this part of his game despite an overall good performance. His timing, decision to come or not, his jumps, and the force he approached it with, was all poor. There were moments when he needed to basically ramp through to the ball. Instead he just half jumped and leaned towards it. 

By goalkeepers' standard he is not tall, not muscular, and not intimidating. But he is a fine keeper. He must find a way to "wing" this problem. 

Nonsense. If he committed himeself to his right corner then Adamu would simply change pace and pass the ball to the empty left corner.
It was not a close encounter like Auba-Kohn where the Austrian managed to scramble it. Adamu had all the time and space he wanted.

1 hour ago, cosmicway said:

Nonsense. If he committed himeself to his right corner then Adamu would simply change pace and pass the ball to the empty left corner.
It was not a close encounter like Auba-Kohn where the Austrian managed to scramble it. Adamu had all the time and space he wanted.

I have not the faintest idea which incident you are referring to and why you picked that one incident. Good on you is all I can say.