Jump to content

Chelsea Transfers


J.F.
 Share

Recommended Posts

Chelsea inform Bayern Munich they will not proceed with Nicolas Jackson loan after Liam Delap injury

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/6585836/2025/08/30/nicolas-jackson-bayern-loan-Chelsea-delap-injury/

By David Ornstein

GettyImages-2196155056-scaled-e175656690

Chelsea have informed Bayern Munich they will not be proceeding with the loan move for Nicolas Jackson and have asked him to return to London after Liam Delap’s injury.

Delap sustained a hamstring injury during Saturday’s victory over Fulham and head coach Enzo Maresca said at full time he expected the striker to be sidelined for up to eight weeks.

The Athletic reported on Saturday Bayern had reached an agreement with Chelsea to sign Jackson, with the proposed deal for a season-long loan with an option to buy worth a total package of €80million (£69m; $93.5m).

Jackson, 24, had been given permission to travel to Germany today (Saturday) ahead of undergoing a medical with the Bundesliga champions.

Delap, who signed for Chelsea from Ipswich Town for £30million ($40m) this summer, was withdrawn on 14 minutes after pulling up at Stamford Bridge and immediately gesturing to his hamstring. He was replaced by Tyrique George.

Delap’s injury and Jackson’s proposed departure would have left summer signing Joao Pedro as Chelsea’s only recognised senior striker.

“When you have two strikers it is enough, when one of them is injured for weeks it is not enough,” Maresca said at full time on Saturday. “Today we played for more than one hour with Tyrique and he did brilliant.

“The last time he played as a No 9 was against Manchester United last year. We tried to use different solutions. If you remember there were some games where we used Pedro (Neto) as a No 9. But for sure when you have two proper No 9’s it is enough.”

Jackson’s Chelsea future had been the subject of uncertainty throughout the summer after he dropped behind summer arrivals Delap and Joao Pedro in the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

He was left out of Maresca’s squad for the pre-season friendlies against Bayer Leverkusen and Milan as Chelsea and the striker explored a possible transfer in the final weeks of the summer window.

Are Chelsea making the right decision?

Analysis from The Athletic’s Chelsea Writer Simon Johnson

There is never a dull moment at Chelsea but this is the right call. They had to act fast following Delap’s injury and they have made a good decision.

With the schedule getting so much tougher when the Champions League gets under way from mid-September, Chelsea could not afford to be down to one recognised striker in Joao Pedro.

Maresca revealed shortly after the win over Fulham that he expects Delap to be ruled out for up to eight weeks, that is a significant period of time which could have effected their ability to challenge at home and abroad.

The task of reintegrating Jackson into the camp might not be so easy. The forward was happy to be leaving England for a fresh challenge at Bayern Munich.

Chelsea made their intentions clear by dropping him down the pecking order when they signed Delap and Joao Pedro in June.

The Senegal international wanted to leave, especially with the ambitions of playing at the World Cup next year and worried about a lack of game time.

Jackson has been expecting to depart in recent weeks. Crucially Chelsea kept him training with the first team rather than making him train away from the main group with players who are surplus to requirements like Raheem Sterling and Ben Chilwell. That means he is not coming in from the cold at least and still has a good understanding with his teammates.

And ultimately Chelsea are recalling a player that knows Maresca’s methods and has scored 24 Premier League goals in two seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

🚨 𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: Nicolas Jackson has REFUSED to go back to London to Chelsea.
He has arrived in Munich to undergo his medical before signing with Bayern.

 


🚨🛑 Yes, Chelsea have informed FC Bayern that they are pulling out of the loan deal of Nicolas #Jackson, as first reported by @TheAthletic. Reason: today’s injury to Liam Delap.

⚠️ Been told: Jackson’s agent Ali Barat is still fighting to rescue the loan deal. Barat and Jackson are currently still in Munich.

Max Eberl told Sky: “Let’s see what happens. Jackson is still here. After the match we will act. I can’t say exactly what’s going on yet.”

@SkySportDE 🇸🇳

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point just let him go there. It’s bad for us but stopping him going there and burning bridges with the player and other clubs could be worse. It would make all future loan deals difficult. Other clubs have to know our word means something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...