Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, DDA said:

So looks like we are interested in Toney.

If I could be assed, it would be self serving of me to find where I recommended this guy back when Brentford were in the Championship..

Where does he stand currently with the betting scandal... is a lengthy ban imminent?

It would be very Chelsea to buy a much needed striker knowing he is about to be banned for 6months or so.

I'll put on record now the next big player to crop up from a promoted side.

Scott Twine.

3 hours ago, Clockwork said:

We shouldn’t buy a GK unless they are a big upgrade over what we have. Kepa is very unpopular here, but he is not bad. Is he a great GK? No, the next goalkeeper should be a level above or might as well stick with what you have. 

This. De Gea made a blunder that Kepa would have been shat on for. In fact, he has made plenty more blunders than Kepa and yet Man U are far ahead of us. Our keeper situation isn't ideal, but it is absolutely fine. We could win the league with someone like Kepa in goal - no problems. We'd have more nervy moments but we could still win. 

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

This. De Gea made a blunder that Kepa would have been shat on for. In fact, he has made plenty more blunders than Kepa and yet Man U are far ahead of us. Our keeper situation isn't ideal, but it is absolutely fine. We could win the league with someone like Kepa in goal - no problems. We'd have more nervy moments but we could still win. 

De Gea is getting "shat on".

We can never win the league win Kepa in goal. He gives far too much encouragement to the opposition. The fact he always concedes these "unsaveable" shots but Mendy hardly ever did is not a coincidence.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

De Gea is getting "shat on".

We can never win the league win Kepa in goal. He gives far too much encouragement to the opposition. The fact he always concedes these "unsaveable" shots but Mendy hardly ever did is not a coincidence.

It become a common occurrence with Mendy too. We were playing our best football when we had Timo, Kai, and Mount upfront. They worked extremely hard defensively which gave the defenders less opportunities for these world class shots. No coincidence it became more common last season.

Reality is players at this level with the space, can score unsaveable goals with the opportunities given. 

Is Ederson actually a good shot stopping GK? He is fantastic for Pep style. 

Btw i don’t have complete endorsement of Kepa, i just think he is solid, we may need a better GK to win the title. Is Onana that?

Edited by Clockwork

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

It become a common occurrence with Mendy too. We were playing our best football when we had Timo, Kai, and Mount upfront. They worked extremely hard defensively which gave the defenders less opportunities for these world class shots. No coincidence it became more common last season.

Reality is players at this level with the space, can score unsaveable goals with the opportunities given. 

Btw i don’t have complete endorsement of Kepa, i just think he is solid, we may need a better GK to win the title. Is Onana that?

I agree that we used to play with tight lines and that helped in all areas including the GK. On the other hand, Kepa also played under those conditions, and showed the same weaknesses;  he has been VERY consistent since joining--that's not the issue. His glaring weakness is reach: that's why he concedes so much from long range. He's just smaller than Mendy for ex, who has better reach. Suppose folks also spotted his incorrect arm posture and movement, but he has prob been working on that.

While I agree that Mendy had a run of poor form (+ injuries), the issue I have with Kepa is that his normal/best is nowhere near good enough. I don't think it's very hard to upgrade on him either. We did that w/ Mendy and it worked very well for some time.

If you consider where Kepa was playing, and how/when we acquired him, it is really no accident he turned out not being good enough at this level.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Simply put, no, we couldn't.   De Gea is getting 'shat on' because he's getting 375k a week and his form has dropped out completely. 

Kepa has too many mistakes in him to be part of a title winning side, he's basically the Spanish equivalent of Pickford (i.e. generally good but due to lack of size gets found out in corners and long range strikes). 

Remember that we used to have Cech/Courtois in goal for our title winning sides and we went from that to Kepa (who was only wanted by Real Madrid as a Spanish backup as he had a 15 million release clause in his Bilbao contract....it's a shame we got so desperate for a keeper that we decided to pay 70 million for Kepa, he'll go down in history as the worst GK signing based on transfer fee). 

8 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Put it this way, if you put Kepa as the starting keeper in any of the top 6 PL clubs, I would be shocked if they weren't worse off in the PL standings right now. 

The only keeper in the top 6 who isn't an "upgrade" on Kepa is his Spanish team-mate De Gea.   Every other keeper would walk into our XI right now. 

4 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Put it this way, if you put Kepa as the starting keeper in any of the top 6 PL clubs, I would be shocked if they weren't worse off in the PL standings right now. 

The only keeper in the top 6 who isn't an "upgrade" on Kepa is his Spanish team-mate De Gea.   Every other keeper would walk into our XI right now. 

Lloris is an upgrade?

He and De Gea have made the most errors resulting in goals this season.

Edited by LAM09

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Lloris is an upgrade?

He and De Gea have made the most errors resulting in goals this season.

Lloris is a lot better than Kepa imo. He's a bit past his prime now, but he's been very good for Tottenham and even better for France.
No, I don't think Lloris was ever one of the top goalies in the world, but I think we are overrating Kepa here when we even compare him with players who have achieve, and shown a lot more than him.

De Gea was never that good eh, but I'd still take him over Kepa. 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Lloris is a lot better than Kepa imo. He's a bit past his prime now, but he's been very good for Tottenham and even better for France.
No, I don't think Lloris was ever one of the top goalies in the world, but I think we are overrating Kepa here when we even compare him with players who have achieve, and shown a lot more than him.

De Gea was never that good eh, but I'd still take him over Kepa. 🤷‍♂️

Replacing one error-prone GK with another isn't smart. I don't understand how comparing the achievements of two players who are 8 years apart is logical either.

If we're going to shell out more money for a GK, at least get one that isn't a mistake waiting to happen. Maignan should be the prime candidate to replace Kepa.

29 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Replacing one error-prone GK with another isn't smart. I don't understand how comparing the achievements of two players who are 8 years apart is logical either.

If we're going to shell out more money for a GK, at least get one that isn't a mistake waiting to happen. Maignan should be the prime candidate to replace Kepa.

error-proneness isn't the problem I have with Kepa. I'd not call Kepa's weaknesses mistakes--he's consistently incapable of making certain saves mostly due to lack of reach.

I mentioned Lloris achievements as proof that he has delivered, consistently, at the highest stage... that he has been good enough, even excellent, at times. You are suggesting that Kepa can achieve that, which is where we strongly disagree.

BTW, I never said I'd take Lloris right now--think he's too old.

Edited by robsblubot