Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

Tuchel has publicly stated he wanted Lukaku as a striker just weeks before we signed him. 

He publicly stated Lukaku was his first choice CF option? 

If so, please provide that quote while I prepare the humble pie for Iftar. 

5 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Boehly wanted Ronaldo, Tuchel said no. We didnt sign Ronaldo.

I was in favour at the time when the whole Lukaku saga started, finisher and a sickening ethic to have around the youngsters as long as his ego is satisfied - Our issue hasn’t been creating changes, it’s been putting them away.

Following the departure of Marina Granovskaia and Petr Cech, Thomas Tuchel has assumed a more prominent role in Chelsea's transfer dealings.

The head coach reportedly was key in bringing Sterling and Koulibaly, pushing for both transfers. He has explained how things are organised at the club now.

“Of course, the positions are clear and the profiles are clear. For our owners and for Todd especially, who is now doing it [being a joint-owner] for the first time in football, and for Chelsea as a competitive team in the transfer market, it is quite a lot to deal with.

“It’s not my favourite thing to do and in the long run the focus has to be on coaching because it is why I am here.

“But at the moment my help is needed and wanted and I must step up and take the responsibility.”

Tuchel even complained about the increased responsibility in transfers.

10 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

He publicly stated Lukaku was his first choice CF option? 

If so, please provide that quote while I prepare the humble pie for Iftar. 

No he specifically mentioned Kane, Lukaku, and Haaland were the strikers he'd like added to the team. 

This is also a direct quote from him after we signed him. Doesn't sound like a manager that never wanted or valued him. 

“We were looking for a certain profile, Romelu is confident to play physically, with back towards goal and he is also very strong, using his speed and pace, it will always be a key figure in our game, to be strong in ball wins and offensive transitions, this is what the league demands.

“We don’t want to be only a ball possession team. We have the feeling that Romelu’s strengths to have a variety, he is strong in the air, he’ll give us a new power when we cross from the sides. He has charisma, a good age, he’s a leader. Hopefully he’ll be a leader in our group.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/Chelsea-romelu-lukaku-thomas-tuchel-b1902134.html

15 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

No he specifically mentioned Kane, Lukaku, and Haaland were the strikers he'd like added to the team. 

This is also a direct quote from him after we signed him. Doesn't sound like a manager that never wanted or valued him. 

That was exactly my point. I've always said and will continue to say so until there's evidence to provide otherwise—that most managers didn't get their main targets. 

A quick analogy: I want a can of Coke more than anything but would be okay with store brand lemonade if I were forced. I end up with the latter as a result. I didn't WANT the latter but will put up with it.

The two options aren't equal.

24 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Boehly wanted Ronaldo, Tuchel said no. We didnt sign Ronaldo.

That was nothing more than a publicity stunt. 

Edited by LAM09

19 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

That was exactly my point. I've always said and will continue to say so until there's evidence to provide otherwise—that most managers didn't get their main targets. 

A quick analogy: I want a can of Coke more than anything but would be okay with store brand lemonade if I were forced. I end up with the latter as a result. I didn't WANT the latter but will put up with it.

The two options aren't equal.

That was nothing more than a publicity stunt. 

Dude a coke and lemonade is insignificant, we are talking about 100M investment. That is a shitty and short sighted manager, plus that 100m could have been invested elsewhere.

Let's not fool ourselves, managers are not the one making transfers, even in such a mess of structure as we were in Tuchel's final days here. They can make suggestions or wishlists, but that's all. Boehly actually wanted more input from manager, so I guess he didn't get it from TT too much. All those players are not first choice. Esp. hard to think Tuchel dreamt of Lukkaku, who doesn't fit his system at all and hindered our tactics and effectiveness like nothing else, but was kind of desperate Marina move. 

Also all those quotes are quite standard press conference bs. No manager ever went with "oh, the idiots upstairs failed at getting the right players,  so I'll have to put up with this useless dumbass they've got somehow as I can't really bench him eternally".

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

This discussion we had early on in the season dawned on me, so I wonder if your opinion has changed at all considering he's been an ever-present for Man City despite all options being available to Pep? 

Surprised how much Akanji has played. Him and Ake actually.

I think their mobility for CBs (and Ake’s versatility) in wider areas has been key to this new system their using this 3-2-4-1 sort of shape when they build. When they lose the ball you tend to see Stones drop in and it goes to a back 4 with either Akanji or Stones playing more as a RB.

Seems to have made them defensively pretty strong. They dont concede big chances and in particular on set plays it helps.

I have no doubts though Ake and Akanji would of been train wrecks here.

Edited by OneMoSalah

32 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Dude a coke and lemonade is insignificant, we are talking about 100M investment. That is a shitty and short sighted manager, plus that 100m could have been invested elsewhere.

An investment chosen by the previous ownership, not the manager in charge. The point still stands.

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Surprised how much Akanji has played. Him and Ake actually.

I think their mobility for CBs (and Ake’s versatility) in wider areas has been key to this new system their using this 3-2-4-1 sort of shape when they build. When they lose the ball you tend to see Stones drop in and it goes to a back 4 with either Akanji or Stones playing more as a RB.

Seems to have made them defensively pretty strong. They dont concede big chances and in particular on set plays it helps.

I have no doubts though Ake and Akanji would of been train wrecks here.

All right. I concur with the former, but I still hold to my prior opinions regarding the latter. He is superior to what people believe, as he has demonstrated at City.

14 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

An investment chosen by the previous ownership, not the manager in charge. The point still stands.

All right. I concur with the former, but I still hold to my prior opinions regarding the latter. He is superior to what people believe, as he has demonstrated at City.

Perhaps but I think at Dortmund this level we are seeing wasn’t anywhere near the level of performance Akanji was putting out. Why I don’t know but different team, system, manager, standard of team mates etc all to consider as well as the individual’s level also. 

How he gets on next season will be interesting. I don’t think he’s an elite level player and I’d imagine if City get a proper LB next season him and/or Ake will find their minutes reduced considerably. 

53 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

No point doesn’t stand, get over it Tuchel is shit at signing players all of his players have been ass.

Just now, Clockwork said:

No point doesn’t stand, get over it Tuchel is shit at signing players all of his players have been ass.

Or you keep thinking he's to blame because it suits your narrative and your opinion of him.

7 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Or you keep thinking he's to blame because it suits your narrative and your opinion of him.

All of his signing have been terrible Kk, Sterling, CuCu, Lukaku, etc. The evidence is overwhelming.

‘Also thank god he wasn’t able to sign Raphinea.

Edited by Clockwork

16 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

All of his signing have been terrible Kk, Sterling, CuCu, Lukaku, etc. The evidence is overwhelming.

‘Also thank god he wasn’t able to sign Raphinea.

"His". 😄

How is it on that hill?

I think our team is packed full of talent. 

We need a number 9, another CM and a GK (though I don't think our situation is anywhere near as bad as people make out on here). 

We need to trim the squad and get a manager who will instil tactics. 

The fact we have no number 9 what so ever, someone needs hanging for that alone. 

Next season if we go again with Havertz then we deserve everything we get, he's be the first fucker out the door this summer for me. The clear and money raised will be a serious amount of cash freed up. 

We don't many players, we need another CM, keeper and number 9. Sell the shit, reduce the wages and start again.