Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

'Now I can speak about him' - Graham Potter breaks silence on Chelsea's capture

https://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=46150

Manager Graham Potter has broken his silence on Chelsea's capture of talented England U21 international of Nigerian descent Nonso Madueke.

The English football tactician did not give much away when he was asked to comment on the imminent arrival of the Super Eagles-eligible player during his pre-match press conference yesterday.

Madueke completed his move to the Blues on Friday, signing a seven-and-a-half-year deal, with The Blues holding the option to extend his stay by a further year.

The 20-year-old's transfer was not completed in time for him to ne named in the traveling party for the Premier League meeting with Liverpool which ended goalless. 

Madueke is left-footed, right-sided winger who is also capable of playing as a center forward and attacking midfielder. 

Asked to share his thoughts on the signing of the young Anglo-Nigerian star, Potter told reporters at his post-match press conference after Saturday's draw at Liverpool : "Now I can speak about him because he’s a Chelsea player.

"He’s an exciting player and brings a left-footed attacking option for us and competition in that area of the pitch."

Former Tottenham Hotspur U16 captain Madueke is an U21 player so will not take up a spot on Chelsea's Premier League roster for the second half of the season. 

Edited by Vesper

Transfers this season under Tuchel: Koulibaly, Sterling, Cucurella, Fofana, Auba

Transfers this season under Potter: Badiashile, Mudryk, Joao Felix, Madueke, Fofana

Its early on but Potter is way clear in terms of transfer targets. 

Tuchel makes his teams worse by his this stupid decisions on the transfer market. 

Edited by Gundalf

28 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Transfers this season under Tuchel: Koulibaly, Sterling, Cucurella, Fofana, Auba

Transfers this season under Potter: Badiashile, Mudryk, Joao Felix, Madueke, Fofana

Its early on but Potter is way clear in terms of transfer targets. 

Tuchel makes his teams worse by his this stupid decisions on the transfer market. 

Potter is involved but the decicision isn't soely on him. 

Much like Pep and Txiki and Arteta and Edu, Vivell identifies a talent that has traits which translate to Potter's football. Potter and Vivell both must have the OK before it gets signed off. 

So our incoming business is most likely done unless we have a couple of hefty sales this coming week.

With James being back I bet the club are going to gamble for the remainder of the season and not bring anyone new in at RB. Midfield is where it could get interesting. I can see us improving our offer for Caicedo but not all the way up to £75m which would be madness.

33 minutes ago, Pizy said:

So our incoming business is most likely done unless we have a couple of hefty sales this coming week.

With James being back I bet the club are going to gamble for the remainder of the season and not bring anyone new in at RB. Midfield is where it could get interesting. I can see us improving our offer for Caicedo but not all the way up to £75m which would be madness.

Yes, what we do in market regarding sales in massive. But also we should chase European football next season even Europa League would be great. 

Likely we would be able to go all the way and when you put all together prize money, home game tickets, TV rights etc...  EL can get us around 60m. Plus we will have big squad and as we always see a lot of rotation in that competition it would be also nice for us fans to watch Chelsea possibly 15 more times next season with young players. 

4 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Potter is involved but the decicision isn't soely on him. 

Much like Pep and Txiki and Arteta and Edu, Vivell identifies a talent that has traits which translate to Potter's football. Potter and Vivell both must have the OK before it gets signed off. 

Yes but I'm sure most of the signing in the summer as well before with lukaku had a big say tuchel. 

Hence after he was sacked we are doing much better buys. 

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

Yes but I'm sure most of the signing in the summer as well before with lukaku had a big say tuchel. 

Hence after he was sacked we are doing much better buys. 

True, but the signings made when Tuchel was still at the club were all done before any of the new recruitment people were even at the club so it was mostly just down to Tuchel himself and Marina (for Lukaku) or Boehly (for the signings made last summer). Would Tuchel's signings have been better too with Vivell etc. in place to help identify the right players? Maybe, maybe not.

Also I would say it's still way too early to say anything about the January signings. Most of them look promising, especially Badiashile and Mudryk, but I would wait a little bit longer before making any definite judgement on them. Plenty of other players in the past have looked good early into their careers at the club, only to turn bad with more time. 

18 minutes ago, Jype said:

True, but the signings made when Tuchel was still at the club were all done before any of the new recruitment people were even at the club so it was mostly just down to Tuchel himself and Marina (for Lukaku) or Boehly (for the signings made last summer). Would Tuchel's signings have been better too with Vivell etc. in place to help identify the right players? Maybe, maybe not.

Also I would say it's still way too early to say anything about the January signings. Most of them look promising, especially Badiashile and Mudryk, but I would wait a little bit longer before making any definite judgement on them. Plenty of other players in the past have looked good early into their careers at the club, only to turn bad with more time. 

There's no guarantee that Tuchel would have worked with a Director of Football type model, considering the reason why he was sacked from the PSG job was because he fell out with their DoF. 

The one positive so far with Potter and this new setup under Boehly is that we're trying to get players in the Under-25 age bracket, which will allow them to develop together and build chemistry....rather than going for the finished product with minimal chances of improvement. 

I was surprised Badiashile was looked over in the summer, feel like he was a safer buy at CB than Fofana who was still recovering from a very bad injury. 

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Yes, what we do in market regarding sales in massive. But also we should chase European football next season even Europa League would be great.

Top six would be great but I'd rather finish 8th or lower than end up 7th. 

On 21/01/2023 at 01:15, Vesper said:

Never rated him all that much after he moved from Atalanta

I initially liked his power. (Remember when there were those rumours that he must be older than was being claimed because a teenager just could not be so powerful?) I soon realised however, and said, that his game wasn't up to much. Was surprised when Milan took him, even more surprised when he moved to Barca, and outright shocked by the initially good reviews he got there. Truth always outs in the end however.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

22 hours ago, lucio said:

Linked to malo gusto at RB , if he's any good maybe stick James in cdm for the rest of the season if he can stay healthy 

What do people think is the right approach to use when looking for a new RB? Find a player with a realistic view of his level, someone who accepts that he is a back up, or do a Man City by recruiting a starting quality RB and employ a heavy rotation policy so new bloke and Reece share game time?