Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Wouldn't want him as our next captain over Reece, the latters first words to Koulibaly was "ready to win trophies" while the former is celebrating equalizers against non league teams harder than Drogba in Munich and making excuses for that nations league mess. I know who i'd rather lead us.

He's also far from a sensible signing. Moyes' compact underdog system is known for aiding defensive minded players to look a lot better than they actually are. City and Madrid got duped into buying Lescott and Gravesen respectively because of it and look how much better Zouma looks now compared to how out of his depth he was with the more "complex" tactical responsibilities under TT, Lampard (before he dummed down the system post lockdown) and even Conte. Going from a team happy to cede possession to one that aims to dominate even against City is a gigantic change.

I hope i am wrong but this has all the hallmarks of a Lukaku level stylistic mismatch.

I should’ve said most sensible out of all these super expensive midfielders we’re linked with.

Much as I rate Bellingham I’m not so sure he’s the profile of midfielder we’re crying out for at the moment. He’s more of a #8 where we already have Kova, Conor, and a newly resurgent RLC. Plus just spent good money on Carney who plays a similar position. 

We badly need a long term, steady #6 who can actually move about the pitch and not get massacred on the counter. Rice fits the bill perfectly in my eyes. 

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

I should’ve said most sensible out of all these super expensive midfielders we’re linked with.

Much as I rate Bellingham I’m not so sure he’s the profile of midfielder we’re crying out for at the moment. He’s more of a #8 where we already have Kova, Conor, and a newly resurgent RLC. Plus just spent good money on Carney who plays a similar position. 

We badly need a long term, steady #6 who can actually move about the pitch and not get massacred on the counter. Rice fits the bill perfectly in my eyes. 

Conor for me is more in the Mount mould, which Potter gets. 

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Doesn't Bellingham have actual creative metrics? Something neither Kova or Ruben have in their locker?

Also if you are talking about a #6, that isn't Rice. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

9 hours ago, Vesper said:

if we do not buy Rice next summer, or at the absolute latest, 2024, I will rapidly start to lose interest

if summer 2024 comes and goes with no move (almost impossible, ((unless he goes full Hammer perma bitch and renews)), as his contract expires in mid 2025 due to an extra year option) then fuck it, as buying him in 2025 means only 3 sub 30yo seasons left, and he plays A LOT, so that mileage will pile up

I would, obviously, take him on a free in summer 2025, but buy........, not a chance (as if he renews, West ham will surely want close to £150m or so in 2025 (barring major injuries between then and now). as he will 'only' be 26yo) .... only 3 full sub 30yo seasons for a DMF is NOT worth £150m

Rice isn't signing a new contract. If he was going to do that he would've already done it. West Ham having been trying to tie him down for more than 24 months now and he hasn't signed. That 24 months has cost him real money, as he cannot get that back. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8825235/West-Ham-ready-double-Declan-Rices-wages-huge-120-000-week.html

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12611298/declan-rice-rejects-west-ham-offer-of-eight-year-deal-worth-83m-but-club-determined-to-keep-midfielder

By doing that he has already lost £6m with the first offer and £3.6m (and counting) with the second offer. 

In particular, not taking the second offer shows he isn't going to stay. £200k is about the best he can achieve per week; although if he gets to a free I guess he can expect a mega signing on fee....(although I am not sure he'll get to that.)

I think with Rice it is abundantly clear he is looking to come back here. Anyone that takes a couple of minutes to watch an interview with him outside of post match will realise a few things; 

1) He loves London and has no intention of leaving. 

2) Has a slightly unhealthy love of Chelsea, considering he is a WHU player. 

His mistake was signing that 5+1 deal in 2019. Who advised him that was a good deal shouldn't be near such an advisory role as it was always bonkers as he didn't get serious money (£60k a week for essentially 6 years) from it and as a young English player with potential he was always going to have options. 

As a result, I think it is clear he is just running down his contract. Next Summer he will get to two years left (1+1) and have turned down the best part of £10m from holding out. As a result, WHU will have to recognise that they'll have to either keep him until the end of his contract or take offers in the £50m-£60m category. I think they'll do the latter as that'll given them some money to play with. If they keep him for another season, then expect that fee to go down to £30m (this is also possible) but at that point he can probably expect a decent signing on fee. 

Either way, next Summer means he will start to enter the territory where he becomes more of a reasonable cost in regard to fee. Whether WHU hold put for another year is up for discussion but they're no longer at the point where they can demand £100m etc. 

11 hours ago, Pizy said:

Much as I rate Bellingham I’m not so sure he’s the profile of midfielder we’re crying out for at the moment.

For me, Bellingham is the type of player that you automatically take if you can and set things up around him. That said, it's all moot anyway. He isn't coming here.

50 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

For me, Bellingham is the type of player that you automatically take if you can and set things up around him. That said, it's all moot anyway. He isn't coming here.

I agree. Unfortunately, the setup at City is far superior and if they offer a squad space - I can see Gundogan making way - then he will head there. Liverpool and Madrid want him too so basically very slim hopes of this.

4 hours ago, King Kante said:

I think with Rice it is abundantly clear he is looking to come back here. Anyone that takes a couple of minutes to watch an interview with him outside of post match will realise a few things; 

1) He loves London and has no intention of leaving. 

2) Has a slightly unhealthy love of Chelsea, considering he is a WHU player. 

His mistake was signing that 5+1 deal in 2019. Who advised him that was a good deal shouldn't be near such an advisory role as it was always bonkers as he didn't get serious money (£60k a week for essentially 6 years) from it and as a young English player with potential he was always going to have options. 

As a result, I think it is clear he is just running down his contract. Next Summer he will get to two years left (1+1) and have turned down the best part of £10m from holding out. As a result, WHU will have to recognise that they'll have to either keep him until the end of his contract or take offers in the £50m-£60m category. I think they'll do the latter as that'll given them some money to play with. If they keep him for another season, then expect that fee to go down to £30m (this is also possible) but at that point he can probably expect a decent signing on fee. 

Either way, next Summer means he will start to enter the territory where he becomes more of a reasonable cost in regard to fee. Whether WHU hold put for another year is up for discussion but they're no longer at the point where they can demand £100m etc. 

The fees sound reasonable but if a club like United target him I can see it going back up to the 70m level. Either way hope the clubs steers clear

We have to work the smart market for another couple of years at least - supplement the core of James, Mount, Sterling, Fofana (fingers X) with quality players across the pitch - the likes of Caicedo if Bellingham/FdJ don't come. The summer was enough to let us know we are below the very top layer of clubs now and we are lucky that we've got Mount and James planting roots here for years

19 hours ago, Tomo said:

Wouldn't want him as our next captain over Reece, the latters first words to Koulibaly was "ready to win trophies" while the former is celebrating equalizers against non league teams harder than Drogba in Munich and making excuses for that nations league mess. I know who i'd rather lead us.

He's also far from a sensible signing. Moyes' compact underdog system is known for aiding defensive minded players to look a lot better than they actually are. City and Madrid got duped into buying Lescott and Gravesen respectively because of it and look how much better Zouma looks now compared to how out of his depth he was with the more "complex" tactical responsibilities under TT, Lampard (before he dummed down the system post lockdown) and even Conte. Going from a team happy to cede possession to one that aims to dominate even against City is a gigantic change.

I hope i am wrong but this has all the hallmarks of a Lukaku level stylistic mismatch.

You must have something against Zouma, he was a solid defender on his day.    For a relatively low profile signing at the time (think it was around 12 million + add ons), he worked out perfectly for the club.

Comparing him to a potential Declan Rice transfer is quite harsh as Zouma didn't arrive with an inflated price tag and a massive ego to go with it, we brought here on potential. 

5 hours ago, Strike said:

We have to work the smart market for another couple of years at least - supplement the core of James, Mount, Sterling, Fofana (fingers X) with quality players across the pitch - the likes of Caicedo if Bellingham/FdJ don't come. The summer was enough to let us know we are below the very top layer of clubs now and we are lucky that we've got Mount and James planting roots here for years

I hope we also supplement the key first team players with some of the youth coming through (who are hungry for their chance).  Gallagher, Broja, Colwill (if he lives up to the hype) would be quality squad players to have around the club moving around. 

I feel like we've always done better in the transfer market in finding players without the massive price tags.  Whenever we try to go big, it tends to go badly for us (Morata, Lukaku, Havertz, Pulisic etc)

41 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I hope we also supplement the key first team players with some of the youth coming through (who are hungry for their chance).  Gallagher, Broja, Colwill (if he lives up to the hype) would be quality squad players to have around the club moving around. 

I feel like we've always done better in the transfer market in finding players without the massive price tags.  Whenever we try to go big, it tends to go badly for us (Morata, Lukaku, Havertz, Pulisic etc)

That's why Broja signed an extension till 2028, and Gallagher is already important rotation player.

Colwill so far is having disappointing loan spell because of Brighton very good start of the season.

Unfortunately no player from current youth teams looks like is ready to make a step to the 1st team, Lewis Hall is propably the closest one, hopefully Hutchinson and Casadei will progress nicely later in the season.

16 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Heard good things about Enzo Fernández, thoughts on him? Also huge fan of Bruno Guimarães. Those are some good options for midfield. 

https://www.si.com/soccer/liverpool/transfers/report-liverpool-could-spend-big-on-enzo-fernandez-in-january

41 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

Unfortunately no player from current youth teams looks like is ready to make a step to the 1st team, Lewis Hall is propably the closest one, hopefully Hutchinson and Casadei will progress nicely later in the season.

Agree with this though Hutchinson is impressing and is possibly above Lewis now in my reckoning. Casadei will have to deal with another suspension after his second 'two yellows equals red' of the season last weekend.