Newcastle 0-3 Chelsea

Jase

Reading the pages of the first half wasn't what I saw personally. For me it looked like we were in control and running them ragged which was going to pay off in the second half as teams cannot defend like that for 90 mins. Additionally, we had a marginal offside goal plus Ziyech missing a very decent chance. 

Could the forward line have been more fluid? For sure, but it also needs to be remembered Mount was a last minute drop out, St James' is one of our bogey grounds and Ziyech/Harvetz/CHO as a trio haven't had that many games together. 

All in all, I actually thought the game as a whole was incredibly professional and well executed. 

As for the rest of the results, we couldn't have asked for more really unless Brighton really should've scored another of something (not seen highlights yet.) 

Additionally, I am surprised (ok, not really) that people are still struggling to comprehend that in a 3atb system the WB's are only defenders in the defensive phase of play and attackers in the offensive phase. For me, I have no concerns about having goals come from them as they're the ones meant to be causing overloads. Of course, teams will adjust to this a little if they keep going at this pace, but if they do that it should create more space for the AM's and CF (hopefully not Lukaku who I want starting from the bench when he returns as I prefer him pointing for there.) 

All in all great day, onwards and upwards and let's ensure we get a similar type of performance against Burnley next week. 

Edited by King Kante

3 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Reading the pages of the first half wasn't what I saw personally. For me it looked like we were in control and running them ragged which was going to pay off in the second half as teams cannot defend like that for 90 mins. Additionally, we had a marginal offside goal plus Ziyech missing a very decent chance. 

Could the forward line have been more fluid? For sure, but it also needs to be remembered Mount was a last minute drop out, St James' is one of our bogey grounds and Ziyech/Harvetz/CHO as a trio haven't had that many games together. 

All in all, I actually thought the game as a whole was incredibly professional and well executed. 

As for the rest of the results, we couldn't have asked for more really unless Brighton really should've scored another of something (not seen highlights yet.) 

Additionally, I am surprised (ok, not really) that people are still struggling to comprehend that in a 3atb system the WB's are only defenders in the defensive phase of play and attackers in the offensive phase. For me, I have no concerns about having goals come from them as they're the ones meant to be causing overloads. Of course, teams will adjust to this a little if they keep going at this pace, but if they do that it should create more space for the AM's and CF (hopefully not Lukaku who I want starting from the bench when he returns as I prefer him pointing for there.) 

All in all great day, onwards and upwards and let's ensure we get a similar type of performance against Burnley next week. 

Had the feeling that we might squeeze out a goal from somewhere in the second half and if we could do that, it would be game over because Newcastle were just parking the bus and were hopeless going forward. 

As for the offensive trio, yes, Ziyech, Havertz and CHO might not have played a lot of minutes together but one would still expect better from them, especially against a side like Newcastle. Ziyech had a few dangerous shots but did nothing much again. Havertz also didn't do much and CHO looked the liveliest of those three. And I agree with you that the WBs are attackers in the offensive phase but at the same time, we also can't expect James to smash in those two kind of finishes every game. Newcastle actually did alright in preventing us from creating anything clear cut (we had 0 shots on target in the first half, for example) but had James not finished like he had, we might have been sitting here potentially complaining about a 0-0 draw and our attacking play malfunctioned against the side second from bottom. 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to admit I had my doubts but so far so good, Ruben has improved with Tuchel tactically - he looks as if he understands his role more, what to do without having to be continually reminded in terms of positioning with the ball and without the ball. He’s playing deeper, more box to box, suits him more than at 10 as he probably isn’t going to get enough goals or assists. 

I still think he might eventually get sick of playing maybe one week from the start then 20/30 mins for a few weeks etc though. Usually at his age you want to be a permanent fixture in the starting 11.

Although how much does Kante have left though? He turns 31 this season, and he has been nowhere near his best when available. Like I said previously some difficult choices coming up for all parties. And there is Gallagher who is having a superb loan.

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Had the feeling that we might squeeze out a goal from somewhere in the second half and if we could do that, it would be game over because Newcastle were just parking the bus and were hopeless going forward. 

As for the offensive trio, yes, Ziyech, Havertz and CHO might not have played a lot of minutes together but one would still expect better from them, especially against a side like Newcastle. Ziyech had a few dangerous shots but did nothing much again. Havertz also didn't do much and CHO looked the liveliest of those three. And I agree with you that the WBs are attackers in the offensive phase but at the same time, we also can't expect James to smash in those two kind of finishes every game. Newcastle actually did alright in preventing us from creating anything clear cut (we had 0 shots on target in the first half, for example) but had James not finished like he had, we might have been sitting here potentially complaining about a 0-0 draw and our attacking play malfunctioned against the side second from bottom. 

I think this is a case of how you watch the game. I don't really disagree with your analysis however I calculated that we were in control and were wearing them down. 

As for James, he is one of the few players we have that are capable of such shots. For sure, cannot expect quite the level of that one week in week out, however from my perspective the Chilwell, Alonso and James are all capable of taking chances that present themselves if given time, which they should get if they overload properly. Chilwell in particular has impressed me with his finishing recently as it seems to have improved. 

2 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Although how much does Kante have left though? He turns 31 this season, and he has been nowhere near his best when available. Like I said previously some difficult choices coming up for all parties. And there is Gallagher who is having a superb loan.

I think Kante rides out most of the rest of his career with us now. There was an argument that he should've been sold in Summer 2020 as we would've still got very good money for him however now I see a situation where he is happy to stay in London and the club won't push someone out that is so loved. 

In future seasons, it may be we just manage his time rather that run him into the ground. 

7 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I think Kante rides out most of the rest of his career with us now. There was an argument that he should've been sold in Summer 2020 as we would've still got very good money for him however now I see a situation where he is happy to stay in London and the club won't push someone out that is so loved. 

In future seasons, it may be we just manage his time rather that run him into the ground. 

Yeah I don’t think he will be sold, I do wonder if Tuchel will continue to treat him as a preferred starter. I think Kovacic has been better, and our best midfielder so far. And Ruben has made most of his limited opportunities this season.

I guess we will see how Tuchel keeps everyone happy. But he might never be put in that position as the way things are going, Kante was dealing with injuries before now Kovacic is out for a couple of weeks.

We still struggle vs parked buses but we seem to be more adept at wearing them down eventually. Also our individual qualtiy seems to have improved a bit in the younger player taking more responsibility.

The wingbacks are hugely important for TT's system and the main reason why we get away with not having effective, prolific attackers. The offensive players create space for the wingbacks to get into shooting positions or force set pieces for heading opps. Both seem to be frequent patterns for us these days. Havertz and ziyech were their frustrating selves but they kept Newcastle busy till they finally cracked. As long as we can keep this up, creating chances in the channels and having surefiring defenders coming inside, we might get by. Question remains if we really can replicate this vs higher quality opposition.

14 hours ago, Tomo said:

Barkley and Ruben being unable to find a new home this summer is coming to our benefit now.

They'd be good players to bring on with a fully fit squad let alone one ripped to shreds by injuries.

I don't think so bruv, I can't believe we still have Barkley here and poor Billy Gilmour stuck at Norwich ffs it must be heartbreaking for him, it should be the other way round.

17 hours ago, King Kante said:

Chilwell in particular has impressed me with his finishing recently as it seems to have improved. 

Wonder how many people that were pining for Reguilon, Telles or Tagliafico would chose them over Chilwell now. 

6 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

I don't think so bruv, I can't believe we still have Barkley here and poor Billy Gilmour stuck at Norwich ffs it must be heartbreaking for him, it should be the other way round.

Completely different type of players, you may aswell compare Barkley to Mendy.

Gilmour direct replacement in the squad was Saul.

6 hours ago, Jase said:

Wonder how many people that were pining for Reguilon, Telles or Tagliafico would chose them over Chilwell now. 

I'll admit that I thought Chilwell was overpriced (still do tbf) however, credit where credit was due, he has improved this season and if he continues to do so then yes, he'll be a great player. That said, I still have issues with how one footed he is as when ever he receives on his right, 95% of the time he has to play it straight back as he doesn't trust it enough to turn with it. For me, he'll need to work on that if he wants to become world class. 

18 hours ago, Tomo said:

Completely different type of players, you may aswell compare Barkley to Mendy.

Gilmour direct replacement in the squad was Saul.

Gilmour and Gallagher both look like good additions to the midfield next year. Saul obviously goes back and we sell Barkley