Chelsea Women Thread

On 27/03/2022 at 18:36, Fulham Broadway said:

Ended 9-0

Top of the League

Was meant to be there but my mother's carer couldn't be with her today and the old girl isn't safe to be on her own for a whole day so I had to bail out and go over there. We'd gone out of the way to do Mother's Day for her yesterday because I was going today as well. Got all but a tenner of my train fare refunded but the match ticket went to waste. Would have been my first time at the King Power. Shame.

Watched the game and wow. Irrespective of the score, this was CFCW's best performance for a couple of seasons. They can often be every bit as clunky as CFCM sometimes are. Not today though. They were slick; great movement and great passing throughout the game. Guro Reiten (letf winger come wing back) was out of this world.

This win put us top of the table for the first time this season, one point ahead of Arsenal. Both sides have five games remaining.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie
Update video link.

By the way, congratulations to everyone at Man Utd for the fabulous turn out to watch their women beat Everton Women 3-1 today. More than 20,400 saw the match; by far the WSL's biggest crowd of the season to date. Good work everybody.

P.S. Alesya Russo who scored twice for United today is ex Cobham.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

• 4 weeks later...

Astounding work from all concerned at FC Barcelona. Off the pitch they set a new world record attendance for a women's game when 91,648 turned up to watch the first leg of their Champions League semi-final vs Wolfsburg. On the pitch they thrashed the team which eliminated Chelsea from this year's tournament and look on course to retain the trophy they won by defeating us in last season's final.

My hope is that CFCW will one day become the first team to beat Barca Women at Camp Nou but I don't see that being next season.  These are seriously good. In fact Barca president Juan Laporte said a couple of weeks ago that it is the women's team, not the men, who are currently driving the club's standards forward. See what you think.

Chelsea Women will play Manchester City Women in this season's FA Cup Final at Wembley the day after the men meet Liverpool in their Final. This will be the fourth time that both Chelsea Men and Chelsea Women have reached the FA Cup Final in the same season, and second year in succession after both made the season's finale in 2021.   Unlike the men however, the women won last season's cup so will be looking to retain it next month. It won't be an easy task though. City have been the form side in the WSL for the last two or three months and have already beaten us in the League Cup Final this term.

If you've never been to a Women's game, or even even if you have, why not get down to Wembley and support the girls? Tickets are available here: -

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2022/04/22/women-s-fa-cup-final-ticket-details

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

The Blues face a trip to Spurs in the WSL today. With four games remaining we sit top of the league, a point clear of Arsenal and with a superior goal difference. Arsenal are massive favourites to win all of their remaining matches so we will have to do the same to retain our title.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/videos/v/2022/04/22/-we-have-to-win-every-game-now----emma-hayes-press-conference-kVGhfxMA

• 2 weeks later...

Two tight wins; over Spurs at Kingsmeadow on 28th April

...and At St Andrews against Birmingham on 1st May

...leave the women at the top of the table, 1 point ahead of Arsenal, going into the last day of the league season.

Arsenal have the better goal difference though so we have to match or better their result to secure our third straight title. We host 4th placed United on Sunday at a sold out Kingsmeadow while Arsenal visit West Ham. United need to beat us and hope City, currently 3rd, loose at Reading. If that happens then United claim a place in next season's Champions League. If United fail to win, or City avoid defeat then the last of the three CL places for next season will go to the blue half of Manchester.

All games kick off at 12:00pm on Sunday with coverage of the Arsenal game on BBC2 (in the UK) and of our game on Sky Football.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie