Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

On 21/09/2019 at 3:52 PM, NikkiCFC said:

Definitely not on last season level. Is it him or because of defense I don't know. 

You're only as good as the defence you have in front you, and the defence in front of him is as effective as a carrier bag with a fucking giant hole at the bottom of it. 

You're only as good as the defence you have in front you, and the defence in front of him is as effective as a carrier bag with a fucking giant hole at the bottom of it. 
De Gea defied that notion not too long ago.

Just now, LAM09 said:
6 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

De Gea defied that notion not too long ago.

That's because, two years ago, he was head and shoulders above any player in the PL. He is a freak exception to the general trend. 

That's because, two years ago, he was head and shoulders above any player in the PL. He is a freak exception to the general trend. 

Utd probably have the best defence they've had since Fergie left, yet, he looks worse than ever.   

He's suddenly declined or is your theory just flawed?

A great defence around you can't prevent some of Kepa's recent mistakes.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

Utd probably have the best defence they've had since Fergie left, yet, he looks worse than ever.   

He's suddenly declined or is your theory just flawed?

A great defence around you can't prevent some of Kepa's recent mistakes.

"Is your theory just flawed"... no, he's had a horrendous decline and anyone with even a microcosm of a footballing brain can quite clearly see that. 

People talk about "Kepa's recent mistakes" but I can count on one finger the number of goals this season I'd attribute his fault to... 

He did have a strong game against st Liverpool, and even when he wasn’t so hot in other games, you can say it’s about the defending and bodies that’d be limiting the angles he has to deal with.

however, some here, including myself here, have a personal preference for taller goalies who can dominate crosses and help with set pieces, for example. Don’t think kepa has the build to ever do that, but he has other interesting traits that make up for it, like distribution.

"Is your theory just flawed"... no, he's had a horrendous decline and anyone with even a microcosm of a footballing brain can quite clearly see that.   People talk about "Kepa's recent mistakes" but I can count on one finger the number of goals this season I'd attribute his fault to... 

We've conceded 16; I could certainly point out more than five occasions but that isn't what this discussion is about.  

Passing the blame elsewhere is the convenient option. [emoji1360]

I thought he really had a very, very good game, or did I just watch the wrong game?

I agree. We would have conceded 3 at the very least had he played to the whistle.

Lets be honest here Kepa is nowhere near Cech's level in terms of impact and GK abilities, and Cech was 21 years old when he signed for us, 8 million pounds we paid for him. Cech would be worth the money we paid for Kepa in today's market or even more.

7 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

Lets be honest here Kepa is nowhere near Cech's level in terms of impact and GK abilities, and Cech was 21 years old when he signed for us, 8 million pounds we paid for him. Cech would be worth the money we paid for Kepa in today's market or even more.

No one said he is. 10 or 15 years ago, Kepa would play lower league football and no one would give a shit about him. It is only in the modern era that ball playing goalies are all the rage. Cech also was  still better than courtois in 2015. 

I honestly find playing oit from the back overrated. What is wrong with hoofing the ball when you have a big enough, clever striker and then know how to move as a team after the knock down. Fergie won 20+ titles with this move. 

Kepa is still young and can learn but he really needs to be stronger in the save and also command his area better. Lehman and Kahn were just marginally taller and yet controlled the box with ease.

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

No one said he is. 10 or 15 years ago, Kepa would play lower league football and no one would give a shit about him. It is only in the modern era that ball playing goalies are all the rage. Cech also was  still better than courtois in 2015. 

I honestly find playing oit from the back overrated. What is wrong with hoofing the ball when you have a big enough, clever striker and then know how to move as a team after the knock down. Fergie won 20+ titles with this move. 

Kepa is still young and can learn but he really needs to be stronger in the save and also command his area better. Lehman and Kahn were just marginally taller and yet controlled the box with ease.

i was just thinking that we lack that dominant type of GK since Cech left, i agree on the playing out from the back bit, to me its always an error waiting to happen, im not totally ok with it, but it has its advantages. I also agree with you that Kepa doesnt command the area as much as he should, that is one of the main traits of a top GK, it also helps the defense to have more calm and control of procedings, i hope it can get better with time. Cheers

On 23/09/2019 at 10:43 AM, Johnnyeye said:

i was just thinking that we lack that dominant type of GK since Cech left, i agree on the playing out from the back bit, to me its always an error waiting to happen, im not totally ok with it, but it has its advantages. I also agree with you that Kepa doesnt command the area as much as he should, that is one of the main traits of a top GK, it also helps the defense to have more calm and control of procedings, i hope it can get better with time. Cheers

Courtois was far better in the air that post-injury Cech, but I 100% accept your point. Kepa just isn't confident going to attack the ball, but this is a general "trend" for goalkeepers coming from the continent (and Spain in particular). I don't think it is so much to do with height as it is with confidence. De Gea was probably even more hopeless in the air than Kepa is;  he then dedicated time to working on this and it became a strength of his game. It is naturally easier for taller goalkeepers, but you can look at the likes of Gregory Coupet in past years and Jan Oblak in the present as keepers who, despite not being the tallest, were supreme in the air. It's a weakness of his game but I do think it is exploited with the zonal marking system we play; it's almost as if he doesn't have the authority to go and attack the ball. 

4 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

Courtois was far better in the air that post-injury Cech, but I 100% accept your point. Kepa just isn't confident going to attack the ball, but this is a general "trend" for goalkeepers coming from the continent (and Spain in particular). I don't think it is so much to do with height as it is with confidence. De Gea was probably even more hopeless in the air than Kepa is;  he then dedicated time to working on this and it became a strength of his game. It is naturally easier for taller goalkeepers, but you can look at the likes of Gregory Coupet in past years and Jan Oblak in the present as keepers who, despite not being the tallest, were supreme in the air. It's a weakness of his game but I do think it is exploited with the zonal marking system we play; it's almost as if he doesn't have the authority to go and attack the ball. 

you are right about Courtois, and you're very spot on your analysis, it will take time for Kepa to work on this aspect of his game, lets hope it gets better. Cheers

Lampard on Kepa...

In the lack of clean sheets, to get one the person I was most happy for was Kepa He is very determined and wants to improve. Clean sheets are not just his responsibility, but he has worked to improve. In his role he can maybe become a bit more vocal and that is part of the process as well.

21 hours ago, Jason said:

Lampard on Kepa...

Lampard actually praised Kepa a lot more than the shortened quote suggested...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/01/frank-lampard-updates-on-n-golo-kante--accepts-ross-barkley-apol

“After the clean sheet on Saturday, the person I was happiest for was Kepa. Even though it’s a team issue, goalkeepers pride themselves on clean sheets. One of the things I have seen since working with Kepa is that he is a very determined individual, he wants to improve every day. He is very focused and I love that.

“His confidence shouldn’t go down. The clean sheets are not always his own responsibility, but also when he thinks they might have been his responsibility, he is very open to accept that fact and work to improve. I have been really impressed with him. He’s managed to become Spain’s number one which when you think about who he’s competing with at that level is very serious.

“He is a great age for us in terms of where he’s at in his career. He grew as last season went on to help Chelsea win games, and I think he is growing again now. I am very happy with him as a player. If anything I can say in his role and his status within the group, he can become a bit more vocal because that’s what great goalkeepers do.”

20 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I thought he was MOTM. Could have easily conceded a few if it wasn't for him bailing out Zouma or Tomori at the death.

He, MAYBE, should have done better for Lille's goal but otherwise, yeah, he played the sweeper keeper role very well. Timing and decision making were spot on.