• Matic
    • Willian
    • Oscar
    • Fabregas
    • Costa
    • Hazard (sub)
    • Cahill (sub)
    • Pedro (sub)

Playing the Matic-Mikel pivot with Oscar on the left wing (backed-up by our right-footed left-back) has GOT to stop. Not only does it massively hinder our general possession play and cause us to lack pace and dynamism, but it also ensures that we play the ball up the left-hand side far too regularly due to Matic's ridiculous one-footedness.

We all knew this already, but the above really can't be emphasised enough because the progress we HAVE made under Hiddink is being compromised quite massively by this choice of line-up.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it! Called it to be 1x1! Should've put some cheddar on it!!! But anyway we should have been smashing those fucking cockroaches so many times!!! We were the far better team most of the game and had the better and clearer opportunities !!!

Hiddink deserves criticism for the starting XI he put out today, especially with Oscar starting on the left side and leaving Hazard on the bench. Should have been the other way round. Having said that, I can also understand in some ways why he did what he did. Hazard has played tons of matches in recent years and judging by the number of injuries he's picked up this season alone, the fatigue and exhaustion have clearly caught up with him. So, I can understand why Hiddink is taking precaution and slowly building him up to full fitness again rather than rushing him back and risking him getting injured again or worse, becoming an injury prone player.

On the game, I thought the point was the very least we deserved. In fact, I thought we should have won the game. I know we weren't great by any means, especially in the first 20-25 minutes, but when one look at the overall match, we still created the better chances and definitely should have scored more than the one. The fact that De Gea had so many saves to make - more than Courtois for that matter - says it all really. If we had better luck and been better with the finishing, we would be talking about another huge result here.

Regarding the point made about not wanting to see Matic and Mikel play in the pivot, I can understand why Hiddink has been going with that duo. Granted, it doesn't look great in any way but to put things into some perspective, we have been extremely vulnerable defensively in the previous matches whenever the opposition attacked. You only have to look back at the Scunthorpe, West Brom, Everton and even MK Dons games to see that we've been giving away too much space between the lines and chances and players have been given free runs at our defence. In this game against United, we barely gave anything away from the central area, forcing them to go wide instead with the team dealing with most of their threat very well. This squad definitely needs some major surgery in the summer but right now with the options that we have, I think Hiddink is clearly trying to utilize the players in the best manner possible to ensure that we are balanced as a team and not being too gung-ho or too vulnerable defensively. He can only work with what he was given and I don't think it's fair to criticize him for every little thing.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hiddink deserves criticism for the starting XI he put out today, especially with Oscar starting on the left side and leaving Hazard on the bench. Should have been the other way round. Having said that, I can also understand in some ways why he did what he did. Hazard has played tons of matches in recent years and judging by the number of injuries he's picked up this season alone, the fatigue and exhaustion have clearly caught up with him. So, I can understand why Hiddink is taking precaution and slowly building him up to full fitness again rather than rushing him back and risking him getting injured again or worse, becoming an injury prone player.

On the game, I thought the point was the very least we deserved. In fact, I thought we should have won the game. I know we weren't great by any means, especially in the first 20-25 minutes, but when one look at the overall match, we still created the better chances and definitely should have scored more than the one. The fact that De Gea had so many saves to make - more than Courtois for that matter - says it all really. If we had better luck and been better with the finishing, we would be talking about another huge result here.

Regarding the point made about not wanting to see Matic and Mikel play in the pivot, I can understand why Hiddink has been going with that duo. Granted, it doesn't look great in any way but to put things into some perspective, we have been extremely vulnerable defensively in the previous matches whenever the opposition attacked. You only have to look back at the Scunthorpe, West Brom, Everton and even MK Dons games to see that we've been giving away too much space between the lines and chances and players have been given free runs at our defence. In this game against United, we barely gave anything away from the central area, forcing them to go wide instead with the team dealing with most of their threat very well. This squad definitely needs some major surgery in the summer but right now with the options that we have, I think Hiddink is clearly trying to utilize the players in the best manner possible to ensure that we are balanced as a team and not being too gung-ho or too vulnerable defensively. He can only work with what he was given and I don't think it's fair to criticize him for every little thing.

You made a good point, but I would like Guus to stop starting games defensively, first Everton, westbrom and now manutd. We're starting too defensive and that's why we are drawing too many games. 

He has clearly improved our movement in attacking play so we create chances anytime  we attack these days. Why doesn't he stick to our strength and outscore the opposition instead of starting defensive and ending up scraping for draws??? 6 draws in 9 games now, it's beginning to get on my nerves a little.... 

2 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

You made a good point, but I would like Guus to stop starting games defensively, first Everton, westbrom and now manutd. We're starting too defensive and that's why we are drawing too many games. 

He has clearly improved our movement in attacking play so we create chances anytime  we attack these days. Why doesn't he stick to our strength and outscore the opposition instead of starting defensive and ending up scraping for draws??? 6 draws in 9 games now, it's beginning to get on my nerves a little.... 

We didn't draw against Everton and West Brom because of the defensive mindset. We drew with them because we were too vulnerable defensively and couldn't stop the opposition from creating chances. No disrespect to West Brom but when a Tony Pulis side see plenty of the ball and create lots of chances, then you know you've got some serious issues. The problem with us isn't just about the starting XI but also the mentality. Too many times we've started games slowly and only come to life after some time or going behind. Need to start on the front foot from the get go.

I've come to the conclusion that the board does not give a fuck about us, the fans. You pay a fortune to go watch this shower of shite, a Mikel-Matic pivot against one of the worst United sides ever, consisting of Darmian, Blind, Bortwick Jackson, Fellaini, Lingard.

It is an insult to everyone related to Chelsea FC to watch Bortwick Jackson bomb forward at the Bride, almost playing left wing, while Azpilicueta never crosses the midfield line.

The way this team is set to sit deep it's cringeworthy. It's like watching Norwich away at the Etihad. Four defenders that can't play a high line for their lives, two defensive midfielders, wingers that almost play as full backs. What the fuck is this shite?

City was adventurous against Leicester the other day, but I'd rather Chelsea drop points that way than defend like absolute cowards only to wake up when it's already 0-1. 

The board probably instructed Hiddink to prioritize Champions League and FA Cup. But what about a EPL derby against United. What about us, the fans that live for these matches?

Why was Hazard protected for? Paris SG? Who gives a fuck about Champions League this season? Hazard or no Hazard, we'll get thumped by Paris. And this is a fact. We have absolutely no chance against that team. Not a chance. Not a single one. 

Right now I'm interested in these EPL derbies. Instead what do I get? Fucking Norwich FC in disguise playing at the Bridge.

Massive overhaul is needed this summer. If we start the next season with the same crop of players then I give up on this board and accept that we'll go into mediocrity for a long time. 

10 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

I've come to the conclusion that the board does not give a fuck about us, the fans. You pay a fortune to go watch this shower of shite, a Mikel-Matic pivot against one of the worst United sides ever, consisting of Darmian, Blind, Bortwick Jackson, Fellaini, Lingard.

It is an insult to everyone related to Chelsea FC to watch Bortwick Jackson bomb forward at the Bride, almost playing left wing, while Azpilicueta never crosses the midfield line.

The way this team is set to sit deep it's cringeworthy. It's like watching Norwich away at the Etihad. Four defenders that can't play a high line for their lives, two defensive midfielders, wingers that almost play as full backs. What the fuck is this shite?

City was adventurous against Leicester the other day, but I'd rather Chelsea drop points that way than defend like absolute cowards only to wake up when it's already 0-1. 

The board probably instructed Hiddink to prioritize Champions League and FA Cup. But what about a EPL derby against United. What about us, the fans that live for these matches?

Why was Hazard protected for? Paris SG? Who gives a fuck about Champions League this season? Hazard or no Hazard, we'll get thumped by Paris. And this is a fact. We have absolutely no chance against that team. Not a chance. Not a single one. 

Right now I'm interested in these EPL derbies. Instead what do I get? Fucking Norwich FC in disguise playing at the Bridge.

Massive overhaul is needed this summer. If we start the next season with the same crop of players then I give up on this board and accept that we'll go into mediocrity for a long time. 

We going to beat PSG. I have no doubts about that. 

It's Barcelona and Bayern the one that might do us. 

You do have to wonder about the players chain of thought in general. Is it the time side look at the (interim) manager with a dose of "don't need to listen to you mate, I'll be here (if I choose), you won't". Either way, we have a very, very deep rooted problem. Hazard gets his all important first goal, then is dropped to bench, and the curious case of first name on the team sheet being Mikel.

And what is it with all this interim manager bollocks??? If you know you are going to bin someone, then do the time honored dishonorable thing and arrange a new manager behind the existing managers back. One year rolling contract and bin him in the summer if/when it goes tits up. 

Hiddink has been getting better results, but there's not much in it. Palace and the arse away have been priceless. At home however, we have been dreadful.