The Mourinho Thread

Well, I am not 100% sure, but...

As someone was wondering during the game "why is he on the wing while he is our slowest AM ?", it gotta be said that he is also the worst when it comes to defensive contribution. Furthermore, our pivot is not setting the world on fire — far from it. It happens that when Mata plays in the middle, there is a huge gap in the middle of the parc ; between him and the pivot ; which allow the opposition to overflow us in midfield.

Thus I believe that Mourinho has played Mata down the right wing to nullify as much as possible his deficiency in defensive duties, and as a consequence to not lose the midfield battle. We also have to take into account that Azpilicueta was the right back and Ramires can give a hand on that right side (thanks to his mobility).

To conclude, Mourinho did not play Mata on the right wing in order to make Mata look bad as some people were saying (*shake my head*), but rather because it was where his defensive flaws would less hurt the team — I guess...

You could be right, but he shouldn't have started Mata on the right considering Southampton's main threat (Shaw & Lallana) are on that flank and most attacks were going through them. Fortunately though he realised this and brought on Willian who is excellent defensively. The fact that Shaw went off at HT also helped - although Clyne is still a decent replacement, Clyne wasn't fully fit. Coupled with the fact that Willian is great at tracking back and that Azpi had a great game defensively, it really stopped So'ton from threatening.

But we are in transition.

We are not.

Last two years you could say we are in trasition. But we have also been spending of millions of pounds on players while making no attemp to use our youth academy. A lot of the players that we have nought have settled into the club and we should e capale of winning the title.

And considering that Jose has given me little evidence that he will be a long term appontment and will leave in 4 years like all the other clubs. He needs to win things now, and not try and use that excuse.

And consaidering that I don't think

We are not.

Last two years you could say we are in trasition. But we have also been spending of millions of pounds on players while making no attemp to use our youth academy. A lot of the players that we have nought have settled into the club and we should e capale of winning the title.

And considering that Jose has given me little evidence that he will be a long term appontment and will leave in 4 years like all the other clubs. He needs to win things now, and not try and use that excuse.

And consaidering that I don't think

we have a new coach. of course we are in transition. look how he tries to change our way of playing. look how mata plays in it. we are definetely in transition. its even hard to believe, that we are only few points of topp without having a world.class DM/Cm and a decent striker.

Well, I am not 100% sure, but...

As someone was wondering during the game "why is he on the wing while he is our slowest AM ?", it gotta be said that he is also the worst when it comes to defensive contribution. Furthermore, our pivot is not setting the world on fire — far from it. It happens that when Mata plays in the middle, there is a huge gap in the middle of the parc ; between him and the pivot ; which allow the opposition to overflow us in midfield.

Thus I believe that Mourinho has played Mata down the right wing to nullify as much as possible his deficiency in defensive duties, and as a consequence to not lose the midfield battle. We also have to take into account that Azpilicueta was the right back and Ramires can give a hand on that right side (thanks to his mobility).

To conclude, Mourinho did not play Mata on the right wing in order to make Mata look bad as some people were saying (*shake my head*), but rather because it was where his defensive flaws would less hurt the team — I guess...

A decent point and it does make me wonder if we solve our pivot problems, will he be playing Mata in there? After all, Sneijder and Ozil wasn't exactly the best of players defensively but had good solid pivots behind them to make that midfield work. But then again, given the situation with Mata right now, doubt we'll be able to see that 'experiment'.

A decent point and it does make me wonder if we solve our pivot problems, will he be playing Mata in there? After all, Sneijder and Ozil wasn't exactly the best of players defensively but had good solid pivots behind them to make that midfield work. But then again, given the situation with Mata right now, doubt we'll be able to see that 'experiment'.

We are building a team based on pressing when we defend and that was not the case for José at Inter and Real and because of that he could afford playing Sneijder and Özil at the nr 10 position.