Ashley Cole

Madmax

It would be a disaster if we let him go because we won't sign him to a longer-term deal. Cole could easily be an elite level back for a few more years and finding another LB of similar quality will be virtually impossible.

If the club actually lets Ash walk away at the end of the year, then they would be taking two huge steps backwards in my opinion. It's not only his experience or immense work rate that would be a loss, like you said, Cole's an elite left back and to find a suitable replacement without chucking up a huge sum of money, would be very hard. When you factor in transfer costs, it seems to me that it would make more financial sense to just extend Cole's contract for another 2-3 yrs.

As it stands right now, I think the two players we have for the left back position, is ideal - in Cole we have a "world class" player who is in the later stages of his career and might be more willing to, at times, take a spot on the bench and in Bertrand we have an up and coming youngster with great potential to develop into an elite player himself. To top it off, they seem to have a good relationship and Cole appears to be supportive towards Bertrand's development. It's just an ideal situation, the board shouldn't mess with it.

It would be a disaster if we let him go because we won't sign him to a longer-term deal. Cole could easily be an elite level back for a few more years and finding another LB of similar quality will be virtually impossible.

My only worry is wages. Cole and Lampard are amongst the top earners at the club, a level which should be reserved for your best players. The likelihood is that if they get 2 year contracts, Cole at 34 and Lampard at 37 will not be amongst our elite players by then, and it then creates the wrong precedent like it did back in the day when ballack and sheva came in on huge wages and everyone wanted to match them.

What if by then Bertrand has replaced Cole and Oscar replaced Lampard as first choice yet are only earning a fraction of what they are.

If there is a compromise whereby they get the extra year if they take a pay cut then I'm all for it but with big money available in America, China, Russia, etc this is unlikely.

Being massively impressive at Vitesse doesn't mean that much.

I want to see Van Aanholt play consistently in England before we think about letting go of Ashley Cole.

Who was Vitesse's last starting LB? Oh yeah...Alex Butner, now of Manchester United.

Next season: Lampard out Josh in,

Next 2 seasons: cole out bertrand in with van Aanholt also in as deputy.

Id rather take a punt on Deen Conteh if im perfectly honest. Van Aanholt's defending is horrific and his football brain is erratic. Take away his pace and the odd thunderbolt what have you got?

Leicester fans wanted him dropped for Bruno Berner and eventually got their way.

Kamil Grosicki outplayed Ashley today... The world is ending...

Cole hardly got any protection from Cleverley who played as narrow left sided wide player ahead of him. That said, he did look a bit sluggish. Perhaps that early YC he got early on for time wasting hold him back!