Mark Schwarzer

Jase

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What weird timing. He could have waited till after the WC. His still their best keeper, I reckon.

True, he could have waited till after WC...but I remember an interview with Schwarzer about 2 years ago when he was asked about retirement.

And Schwarzer's reply was along the lines of: If my body can't hold up, then I would be happy to make way for youth.

Hopefully Langerak (Dortmund's #2) gets the chance to fill the void

I read something about the manager not picking a captain for your game against Costa Rica? :blink:

lucas neill? Don't know where he is playing nowadays but hopefully the new coach starts giving a few of the youngsters a chance as our golden generation's (neill, cahill, kewell, bresciano, etc.) best days are probably over unfortunately

• 1 month later...

I honestly think he should play the next match. Statistics speak for themselves - Cech hasn't made a save for us in 276 minutes, and the last eight shots he's faced, he's let in. Don't get me wrong, he couldn't do anything about probably six of those, but there are those that are preventable, and it is those ones that look the worst when they nestle in the back of the net. He needs some time on the sidelines. It's not as if we're replacing him with an Hilario or a Turnbull; Schwarzer is still a class keeper.

If we had a young keeper who made those mistakes, then maybe dropping Cech would be worth it but the guy is 31. What exactly are we expecting him to learn from some time on the bench? His preparation for matches is still first-class, but maybe this is just who he is now. He looks a little gun-shy so why not let him have a couple of games against Steuau and Palace to get some confidence back?

If we had Courtois waiting on the bench then it would absolutely make sense to pull the trigger, but we need Cech to be at his best for the rest of this season and I don't know what dropping him actually does.

If we had a young keeper who made those mistakes, then maybe dropping Cech would be worth it but the guy is 31. What exactly are we expecting him to learn from some time on the bench? His preparation for matches is still first-class, but maybe this is just who he is now. He looks a little gun-shy so why not let him have a couple of games against Steuau and Palace to get some confidence back?

If we had Courtois waiting on the bench then it would absolutely make sense to pull the trigger, but we need Cech to be at his best for the rest of this season and I don't know what dropping him actually does.

I think it would remind him that his position is certainly not infallible - not just in the future with the return of Courtois in the summer, but right now, with an exceptionally good goalkeeper on the bench that deserves his chance.

Markie was solid, commanding and assertive. I've always liked him as a player, and I'm glad he's now with us. Admittedly he didn't have to do much throughout the match but he did well when called upon, especially his ball distribution. I think he could still have a one or two seasons on him.