Mark Schwarzer

Jase

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought he grew in the stature as the game progressed. There were a few balls in the box early on which I thought he should have come out and caught. Improved as the game went on and his confidence grew.

We had some good luck because he played the whole match on Saturday. He didn't play a great match then but still got the 90 mins in a Premier league match. Now it was easier for him to play, and he did very well. He is the man now for the end of the season, and I just hope he continues like this.

He is very old now, but even without my green and gold tinted glasses I will say that he was one of the better goalkeepers in the world of the last decade. Very good back up and I hope he hangs around for a while longer.

Schwarzer - Jose's inspiring words turned me into a hero

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/375730/Chelsea-s-Mark-Schwarzer-Jose-s-inspiring-words-turned-me-into-a-hero

"He is pretty good at various moments - saying a couple of things to you every now and then," said the Aussie.

"Before I came on he said 'listen, believe in your own ability'.

"And that was it. It was a reassurance that he believes and I need to believe and make sure I go out there and play my game."

Cech injured himself after falling in a heap in a goalmouth scramble.

"At first, I was sitting there offering some of the guys some chewing gum, so I didn't think the injury was that serious," said Schwarzer.

"There was a couple of movements of players saying he is signalling to come off.

"Then the manager was saying 'settle down, settle down everyone' and I was just warming up.

"It was a little bit 'okay, this is going to be interesting'. Then the realisation that you are going to come on.

"I won't deny that there were nerves to begin with. But once you get on the pitch you settle pretty quickly and we dealt with the corner pretty easily in the end.

"From that point onwards I was able to settle into the game."

Defending Chelsea's conservative approach in Madrid, he said: "The purist wants to see attacking football, goals going in everywhere, of course. I understand that.

"There's nothing better than watching an exciting game on TV at home. I do it myself.

"When you watch a 0-0 it is quite boring. But it doesn't seem that way when you're in the group, in with the players.

"As a manager, you do what you can to get through to the next round and obviously the next round's the final."

Former Fulham and Middlesbrough keeper Schwarzer has played just eight times for Chelsea since arriving on a free transfer in the summer.

And he does not know yet whether he has done enough to get a new one-year contract.

"I am not going to deny it has been tough," he said. "It has been.

"Even at my tender age of 41 you can still experience something new, so to play a Champions League semi-final was fantastic."

As well as top flight goalkeeping, Schwarzer has also turned his hand to writing.

He has co-written five children's books - the last of which is called 'Megs and the Wonder Strike'.

Mourinho could do with one of those at Stamford Bridge next week.

"I suppose you could write a book about it one day and say this is how it unfolded," said Schwarzer. "You'd never believe it, but it just happens."

How fucking good is this guy? When Cech was injured against Atletico, I had a really bad feeling, but Schwarzer was fucking immense in that game. And now again. I'm not worried at all about our goalkeeper in CL.

Cech or Courtois or Schwarzer next season?!