• Guus Hiddink
    • Didier Dechamps
    • Mark Hughes
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Roberto Mancini
    • Phil Scolari
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Other

So lets try and guage the TalkChelsea opinion on who the next manager should be. This isn't who you think will be the next manager but who you would most like to see in charge next season.

Edited by EskWeston

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Hughes for me. As an ex blue and someone who will get everything out of every one of his players, he'll be perfect. Maybe his style isnt quite what Roman is looking for but he wont have slackers. He's a natural born winner. Would also like Deschamps too and apparently he's in the running and on the shortlist but i would just about vote for sparky.

I believe he can handle big named players because of who he is. I cant see him taking any shit. He managed Wales and he almost took them to Euro2004, beating Italy along the way. Its only a matter of time before he manages at the highest level. If we dont get him, Man Utd will sooner rather than later. Attacking football......Well the Man utd teams he played for and the Chelsea team in 97/98 werent bad were they.

Edited by OllieCFC

I have no doubt in my mind that Mark Hughes can manage the biggest players. A big part of that is the respect you command, and Sparky being a pretty damn good player himself I think will command it. And he doesn't come across as the type of person to let shit go by him.

So far, 4 votes and 4 different managers named! Just goes to show that there is not one outstanding candidate out there. IF the club have no already decided then it could be quite a long process to decide on who to appoint, meeting with the interested parties ect. to discuss what their plans would be..

Lippi is an interesting one, aparently willing to work in England but maybe his age may put the club off going for him.....

With age, comes experience. He's won everything except the Premier League, moreorless.

You most certainly can't disagree with the mans record! Depends if the club want to build something for the long term! I know it is impossible to plan as we saw with Jose, but if it was the case they wanted something long term then i would guess Lippi would not be an option...

The situation we are in now this is the biggest descision the club have had to make, bigger than when we appointed Jose because now we are winners at the highest level and expected to win things. This appointment is supposed to signal a new chapter in our history so it will be a very interesting one.

Completely agree. However I think its very rare for managers to stay at a club for more than three or four years, Wenger and Ferguson are really the only exceptions to the rule. We have an interesting decision as you say - do we go for the more experienced manager who may only wish to stay for two or three seasons, or do we go someone like Hughes or Deschamps who have played for Chelsea and allow them to plan for the long term?

Completely agree. However I think its very rare for managers to stay at a club for more than three or four years, Wenger and Ferguson are really the only exceptions to the rule. We have an interesting decision as you say - do we go for the more experienced manager who may only wish to stay for two or three seasons, or do we go someone like Hughes or Deschamps who have played for Chelsea and allow them to plan for the long term?

Everything is very very unpredictable and this is completly dividing opinion among Chelsea fans with so many different managers being suggested for various reasons and none of those reasons are wrong reasons.

The board/Roman will have a vision of what they want for the future, unfortunately we only have small glimpses of that vision and really have no idea which makes it harder to try and guess who will be appointed.

Ten Cate comming out today and saying he expects to stay is an interesting one, if a new manager is not decided how can this be possible. You can't force a number 2 upon a manager. Ten Cate aparently meeting Kenyon today, so if we don't hear about him being sacked then i think we can assume that he is staying - which to me points to Rijkaard being appointed.

Do you think an owner like RA, who pretty much sacked Jose because of our "non entertainig style" would appoint Lippi? I personally would have no problems with Lippi, our previous Italians, players or managers have been great for us so it would probably work but i'm just not sure if his style would suit what Roman wants. Ranieri and Vialli are attacking entertainment minded but is Lippi? i'm not quite sure.

Completely agree. However I think its very rare for managers to stay at a club for more than three or four years, Wenger and Ferguson are really the only exceptions to the rule.

That's exactly what Chelsea need. Someone who will stay here for the long run. It's one of the reasons of Arsenal/United's success, their manager is given time to rebuild.

Of the candidates:

Mourinho - Won't come, no need to bother.

Rijkaard - Drama queen, wouldn't be long term.

Hiddink - Would be my number 1 choice, but he's said he's not coming.

Deschamps - Possibly seeing as he played for us once, but he's inexperienced.

Lippi - Too old, doesn't know English.

Mancini - I wouldn't take him. He's won the Italian title in the last 3 years, first was because of the other teams being deducted points/relegated, and the other two were because there weren't any real opponents in the league. Whenever he's faced a big team in Europe he's failed.

Scolari - I don't like him.

Sven - Naaah.

Hughes - Big time experience with Wales, Premiership experience with Blackburn, experience with Chelsea from his playing days - the PERFECT candidate.

Hughes seems to be the logical choice for me. We don't need a big name, we need someone who has experience and will be willing to stay for the long-run. Hughes is that man.

Wouldn't want us to sign anyone till JM signs for someone else. With him back, everything would just fall back into place. Being a tad too optimistic I know, but I believe we haven't seen the last of him at SB.

If not him, I'd only want a former blue to manage us; Hughes and Deschamps, in that order.

I'm not convinced aout Mancini or Deschamps to be honest, although would be more than willing to give either of them a go, considering who we have had to endure over the last eight months. Rijkaard has seemingly stated on more than one occasion that he wants to take a year out, whether thats true or not.

Mark Hughes? I'm firmly in his camp for this one.

I have to say i am very suprised that nearly 50% of people want Hughes over the other candidates, very suprising when you consider who those candidates are and what they have achieved. Hughes would do a good job i am sure but i would prefer some of the other manager ahead of him at the moment...

Do you think an owner like RA, who pretty much sacked Jose because of our "non entertainig style" would appoint Lippi? I personally would have no problems with Lippi, our previous Italians, players or managers have been great for us so it would probably work but i'm just not sure if his style would suit what Roman wants. Ranieri and Vialli are attacking entertainment minded but is Lippi? i'm not quite sure.

Lippi is very defence minded, but that suits our squad. RA has to face up to the fact that if we want to win things, we have to play 'boring football.'