• Guus Hiddink
    • Didier Dechamps
    • Mark Hughes
    • Marcello Lippi
    • Roberto Mancini
    • Phil Scolari
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Other

Sparky is NOT the man for the job, and I don't understand why so many fans are going potty for him.

I read a few message boards of Blackburn the other day about MH coming to Chelsea. I can't remember the exact quote but one described it as "a corner shop owner going and running a big Tesco's". When his own fans don't think he's ready for the step-up then why should we?

Yes, he's done a decent job with Rovers. Not great, but OK, but lets not forget he was knocked out of the FA and UEFA Cups by Coventry City (at home 4-1) and FC Larrissa (Cyprus) respectively. He had a great start to his career at Blackburn but lets not forget they were challenging the top four under Souness for a season. And the last 2-3 years they've been pretty static.

People hype on about him having a 'Chelsea family' with Kevin Hitchcock and Eddie Niedzwiecki among his staff. Thats all well and nice, but they are hardly world class staff are they?

I dont want to be over critical of Mark, because he is a legend and perhaps one day he will be the right man for the job. I dont think his name would even be mentioned if he hadnt have previously played for Chelsea, and he doesn't have the experience, quality or CV for this job right now.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may have been knocked out of those cups, but he didn't exactly do it with our squad did he? With the resources he has he has done better than expected with that club. How do you become ready for a top job unless you get given a top job. It would certainly be a risk, but so would anyone that we appoint, it is clear there is not one outstanding candiate available.

Fair point Esk, but my opinion is that we need someone who has been there and done it.

Someone with the experience of Hiddink, Scolari, Ancelotti etc.

Rijkaard, although young, has hatfulls of it, and has 2 La Liga titles and a CL trophy to his name. THAT alone will attract Roman to Rijkaard rather than Sparky.

He may have been knocked out of those cups, but he didn't exactly do it with our squad did he? With the resources he has he has done better than expected with that club. How do you become ready for a top job unless you get given a top job. It would certainly be a risk, but so would anyone that we appoint, it is clear there is not one outstanding candiate available.

Exactly. Look at what the Israeli cardboard cutout ''achieved'' with the resources at his disposal.

Hughes has a sharp footballing brain, exemplified by his recent BBC punditry where he shut up Hansen , Shearer etc.

Fair point Esk, but my opinion is that we need someone who has been there and done it.

Someone with the experience of Hiddink, Scolari, Ancelotti etc.

Rijkaard, although young, has hatfulls of it, and has 2 La Liga titles and a CL trophy to his name. THAT alone will attract Roman to Rijkaard rather than Sparky.

As I said not neccesarily a smart move to get an experienced dinosaur -just there for the £5 million a year. ManUtd had Ferguson after one Aberdeen cup win , and stuck with the potential.

I won't argue on Rijkaard, i would be happy to see us appoint him, but it's looking less likely every day. None of Mancini, Scolari, Hiddink or Ancelotti exactly inspire me to think they can bring what we are looking for. Right now any manager is a gamble, and it might just be worth trying to build something long term and with the club at heart. Hughes is a good manager no doubt, who knows what he could do with our squad?

I won't argue on Rijkaard, i would be happy to see us appoint him, but it's looking less likely every day. None of Mancini, Scolari, Hiddink or Ancelotti exactly inspire me to think they can bring what we are looking for. Right now any manager is a gamble, and it might just be worth trying to build something long term and with the club at heart. Hughes is a good manager no doubt, who knows what he could do with our squad?

Am thinking the same. The more I think about it the less I want an 'established' winner. Someone qualified , definitely, but someone with Chelsea in his heart already, would be a strong criteria. Someone like you or me. If we were qualified. Which we're not.

btw did you ever pursue that refereeing lark ?

Am thinking the same. The more I think about it the less I want an 'established' winner. Someone qualified , definitely, but someone with Chelsea in his heart already, would be a strong criteria. Someone like you or me. If we were qualified. Which we're not.

btw did you ever pursue that refereeing lark ?

It would certainly be a popular choice and one that could really work for us. When you think how much the club seem to be concerned with our image too it would work in our favour that we have a British manager who supported the club managing the team. The lack of noise comming from either Hughes or Rijkaard to anyone to do with them is interesting and could be telling!

How do you know i am not qualified :D Na, looked into it but wouldn't have had the time to follow it through all the way. Going to get back into Sunday league footie next season though, if i can find a team to join!

I wonder what the chances are of the new man being announced this weekend sometime. You really wouldn't think they would wait much longer with a lot of preparation to be done for the next season inncluding purchasing new players!!!

Rijkaard now the favorite with the bookies and Ancelotti second favorite. Hughes and Scolari have dropped right off. I think no matter who it is, everyone will be suprised.

I think we'll see what happens in the fallout of Euro 2008 then go for it.

I can't see how we can afford to wait that long, only potential managers to wait for are Hiddink - who has already said no and Scolari. After the Euros the new manager would have about a week till pre season and no time to make the signings.

Would be a very very bad option to wait till after the Euros...

and if hughes cant do it...or deliver any trophy...

we will be the 2nd real madrid....

for years even with 3 world players in the squad madrid did not achieve anything because of mid table managers and former players!!!

and perhaps paper did not say anything about hughes is because he is not even in the list

besides when man you appointed fergie he is not required to win the premier league?champions league or bring attacking football

remember this is the hottest seat in europe...only the best can handle the pressure like Jose

Edited by kbchel

Well i guess everyone who has ever managed their first "top team" was a nobody at managerial level when they first went there. I hardly even knew who Jose Mourinho was before he won the UCL final in 2004, he was just some portuguese coach with apparently a bit of attitude/charisma. Mark Hughes will manage a top team sooner or later, hes just gotta be given a chance. Who was Ferguson? who was Wenger? Even Ian Wright famously said "Who?!" Real Madrid got in Bernd Schuster, an ex player but he hadn't managed anyone good. got Getafe in the uefa Cup and bam he was a candidate for Real Madrid, very much like the Mark Hughes scenario. The new Barca boss..Josep Guardiola has NEVER managed before.