Why Willian should start over Oscar:

1) stronger in duels

2) better in counter attacks

3) better at keeping possession

4) better at tracking back

5) better dribbling/take on skills

6) creates more chances

7) higher work rate

Funnily enough, both of them are almost neck and neck in those attributes you mentioned. Don't think either of them really have the edge over the other on that.

Why Willian should start over Oscar:

1) stronger in duels

2) better in counter attacks

3) better at keeping possession

4) better at tracking back

5) better dribbling/take on skills

6) creates more chances

7) higher work rate

1. Which sort of duels

2. No he's not. He's incredibly rapid but more often than not, he makes the wrong decisions.

3. This is true, but Oscar is more likely to do something useful with it.

4. I don't know how you come to such conclusions. Besides, the right winger will most likely be pre-occupied with Kolarov. Silva does his damage in central positions.

5. So, what does that have to do with anything? Oscar has better movement. Doesn't prove anything. Also, we have a dribbling machine called Hazard if that's what you like.

6. Statistically false claim. Willian doesn't create as much as Oscar.

7. True but Oscar is no slouch.

I can do 7 reasons why I think Oscar should start as well, doesn't prove anything. I'm not against Willian starting but the idea that somehow starting Oscar in this game is some sort of preposterous thought is unfounded. It's not like a case is being made for Salah to start. I'm pretty certain Oscar has achieved more in his CFC career than Willian but that's besides the point.

1. Which sort of duels

2. No he's not. He's incredibly rapid but more often than not, he makes the wrong decisions.

3. This is true, but Oscar is more likely to do something useful with it.

4. I don't know how you come to such conclusions. Besides, the right winger will most likely be pre-occupied with Kolarov. Silva does his damage in central positions.

5. So, what does that have to do with anything? Oscar has better movement. Doesn't prove anything. Also, we have a dribbling machine called Hazard if that's what you like.

6. Statistically false claim. Willian doesn't create as much as Oscar.

7. True but Oscar is no slouch.

I can do 7 reasons why I think Oscar should start as well, doesn't prove anything. I'm not against Willian starting but the idea that somehow starting Oscar in this game is some sort of preposterous thought is unfounded. It's not like a case is being made for Salah to start. I'm pretty certain Oscar has achieved more in his CFC career than Willian but that's besides the point.

2) this season he is more direct, could've 2 assists against Schalke

3) it's an opinion, Oscar lose the ball more often

4) I've seen Willian blocking many attacks in the big games

5) having 2 dribbling monsters is better than just one

6) I've read on many stats sites that he created the 2nd most chances in our team after Hazard

In big games, I'd always start Willian.

But could you also explain why Oscar should start over Willian?

Would not be surprised to see both Oscar and Willian out. Preferably I would rather see Willian start as I belive he offers more than Oscar but can see Mourinho looking to go with something like this:

Mikel Matic

Fabregas

Ramires Hazard

Costa

I think this will provide more protection to the team as Mikel always does his job in the big games. Having Matic and Mikel will mean we are more disciplined in defence and not as likely to be as sloppy in defensive mistakes as we have been in the recent weeks. However, most importantly I think it will encourage Fabregas to focus on what he does best without having to worry too much on the defensive side. And hopefully we see Hazard tear Zabaleta apart like he did last season.

2) this season he is more direct, could've 2 assists against Schalke

3) it's an opinion, Oscar lose the ball more often

4) I've seen Willian blocking many attacks in the big games

5) having 2 dribbling monsters is better than just one

6) I've read on many stats sites that the 2nd most chances in our team after Hazard

In big games, I'd always start Willian.

But could also explain why Oscar should start over Willian?

I'm not making a case for Willian or Oscar to start, instead I'm making a case for why starting Oscar would not be a preposterous idea. I'm not exactly sure why it should be anyway considering his class.

I have no problem with starting Willian. He tends to put in a hard-working, if not spectacular shift in big games and played well last season vs City. But the fact that Jose rested Oscar vs Schalke suggests playing Oscar on Sunday is in his thoughts.

Oscar vs Willian. Really hard to choose. Both of them offer similar things and both somewhat lack the end product. Their passing in the final third isn't exactly the best, but we have Fabregas and Hazard for that. I think Oscar is better at pressing and in the air, but Willian is faster and will probably defend the wing better. Hmm, this is a really hard choice. And I can't completely disregard the possibility that Ramires will be on the wing with Mikel taking the place next to Matic in the pivot and Fabregas taking #10's. And there's also Schurrle, though I think Jose is unlikely to start him.

I think this will provide more protection to the team as Mikel always does his job in the big games. Having Matic and Mikel will mean we are more disciplined in defence and not as likely to be as sloppy in defensive mistakes as we have been in the recent weeks. However, most importantly I think it will encourage Fabregas to focus on what he does best without having to worry too much on the defensive side. And hopefully we see Hazard tear Zabaleta apart like he did last season.

Last time we tried this Matic-Mikel pivot vs City, we got dominated in midfield and beaten easily. We need a more mobile partner next to Matic, namely Ramires. That pivot will have serious problems dealing with both Aguero, Toure and Silva as they come to more central positions. We will also have trouble playing the ball from the back. Mikel is just far too slow and negative in possession.

Last time we tried this Matic-Mikel pivot vs City, we got dominated in midfield and beaten easily. We need a more mobile partner next to Matic, namely Ramires. That pivot will have serious problems dealing with both Aguero, Toure and Silva as they come to more central positions. We will also have trouble playing the ball from the back. Mikel is just far too slow and negative in possession.

Aware of that but every game this season we have looked sloppy when teams hit us on the counter. Because all of them have the tendency to want to play a bit more and not just defend. Yes, even Matic. We have been leaking goals a lot which is unusual and that has been without Mikel so I do think that will concern Mourinho. Yes, it backfired against City last season when we played Matic and Mikel together but I would not be surprised to see Mourinho play them together. Especially to accomodate Fabregas.

Aware of that but every game this season we have looked sloppy when teams hit us on the counter. Because all of them have the tendency to want to play a bit more and not just defend. Yes, even Matic. We have been leaking goals a lot which is unusual and that has been without Mikel so I do think that will concern Mourinho. Yes, it backfired against City last season when we played Matic and Mikel together but I would not be surprised to see Mourinho play them together. Especially to accomodate Fabregas.

It's the reality we are going to have to deal with, mate. With Fabregas in central midfield, we were always going to be less solid. The compensation is the 15 goals we've scored so far. It's what Roman wants to see and has been craving for. Give me this over the unwatchable stuff from last season. Admittedly 6 conceded, but so have Liverpool (5), City (4), Arsenal (6). The media keep on bullshitting us about this goals conceded stuff instead of praising our tremendous firepower and ability to go to Goodison Park and smash them for 6.