• Schurrle
    • Oscar
    • Hazard
    • Costa
    • Ramires (sub)
    • Willian (sub)
    • Drogba (sub)

Dion, on 23 Aug 2014 - 9:09 PM, said:

Matic and Fabregas were also dispossessed in areas that almost led to us conceding a goal. Leicester was pressing and anticipating passes pretty well, many won't acknowledge that but it was the reason why we were countered so dangerously at times.

I remember Cesc being dispossessed closer to the middle of the pitch, but he didn't misplace a single pass in our half. Matic misplaced 5 passes in our half, massive mistakes. Very poor.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we can sit back and rave about Branna and Hazard and Thibaut (rightly so) but against a more composed opponent we'd be looking at a 0-2 defeat. They didn't let us settle at all, which is exactly the thing to do because we just crumple when it happens. The thing that counts the most, though, is the reaction and we got that right, thankfully.

Very tough call between Courtois and Branna for the MOTM but I'll go with the keeper because that save was a game changing moment. He's off to a fantastic start.

I remember Cesc being dispossessed closer to the middle of the pitch, but he didn't misplace a single pass in our half. Matic misplaced 5 passes in our half, massive mistakes. Very poor.

Matic does that quite a lot against the smaller teams. It's concerning.

Apart from Tibo and Ivanovic(my MOTM), Willian was brilliant :) Would love to see him starting next match, but he is more useful when the opposition is tired. He makes impressive runs with and without the ball.Fantastic performance from the bench. And he was the reason to see Eva in action!!

If Schmeichel wasn't in goal for them today we would've won by at least 4 IMO.

Few of those chances or shots were great enough to truly challenge Schmeichel. I watched all the match until the Costa goal and about half of it afterward. I wasn't impressed by anything but Iva and Courtois

Matic and Fabregas were also dispossessed in areas that almost led to us conceding a goal. Leicester was pressing and anticipating passes pretty well, many won't acknowledge that but it was the reason why we were countered so dangerously at times.

It's seemingly everybody's dream partnership so you won't hear much criticism but they were exposed today. Mourinho's not dumb, that won't be the first choice midfield for much longer. Get ready for some Ramires, guys. :Goober:

God it's so great to have a striker... Missed the feeling so much.

Costa was average most of the match but did his job when it counted, and that's all that matters.

I'm voting Courtois my MOTM. His brilliant save at 0-0 was one of the most important things in the match, no way we would have won if that ball went in.

Few of those chances or shots were great enough to truly challenge Schmeichel. I watched all the match until the Costa goal and about half of it afterward. I wasn't impressed by anything but Iva and Courtois

We created enough chances today to win even more comfortably but we just weren't clinical enough and Kasper made some good saves as well. I don't know how anyone could be so dissatisfied with that 2nd half performance.

It's seemingly everybody's dream partnership so you won't hear much criticism but they were exposed today. Mourinho's not dumb, that won't be the first choice midfield for much longer. Get ready for some Ramires, guys. :Goober:

Some top European sides don't even play with holding midfielders. The point is that we should be dominating matches in terms of quality of possession far more than we did today. When you have so many flair players on the pitch and you play like Tony Pulis' Stoke City or Wimbeldon in the 1990's then you're asking to be scored on.

It is my dream partnership too :rant:

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure having Ramires instead of Cesc would have made much of a difference there. If anything he would have misplaced some of the passes Cesc performed. And I suppose Matic would still be there but he struggled a bit today.

Leicester didn't play as we expected them to, I'm sure that's one of the reasons we took a while to settle.

We also tried to play the same narrow football that worked against Burnley, but there was no space and time to execute.

Everything was much better when Azpi and Ivan started going forward much more in the 2nd half.