Filipe Luís

Jase

His best game in Chelsea shirt IMO. His ball control is actualy very good for full back.

More than very good for a fullback. He has the ball control of a proper wide man. But it's too bad he's slowed down quite a bit. He used to be more explosive, more agile and quicker. You can tell he's reaching 30. It makes him more vulnerable to direct wingers.

That said, I still think he's absolute class and should be a starter.

Not that I would have anything against Luis signing, quite opposite, but it made me think why didnt we try to sign Baines. He was about same age, same price and english player who had realy good last season. And we gave them Lukaku, so it could be done.

Just wondering if Baines was ever an option for Mou as we were linked with him few times. He has been very poor this season in defending, so we probably dodged a bullet. But whole Everton is shit, but it has to be said, Baines certainly has best delivery in PL still.

Not that I would have anything against Luis signing, quite opposite, but it made me think why didnt we try to sign Baines. He was about same age, same price and english player who had realy good last season. And we gave them Lukaku, so it could be done.

Just wondering if Baines was ever an option for Mou as we were linked with him few times. He has been very poor this season in defending, so we probably dodged a bullet. But whole Everton is shit, but it has to be said, Baines certainly has best delivery in PL still.

Baines would've been £25m at least. Luis just cost us £16m.

Luis is miles ahead of Baines anyways. I personally think Baines is a fraud. God knows how many times he got skinned against Candreva in the game against Italy. Very inconsistent player.

I think Luis could be a massive player for us very soon. He is a joy to watch in attack and his defensive ability is matching up to PL standards as every week goes by.

I think it was just bs that he would cost this much. He was 29 and had bad WC, Im sure our board could negotiate for fair price. Plus we had Lukaku that was top Martinez wish.

But Im glad we went for Luis anyway.

I thought he gave a defensive performance worthy of Azpi today, but it seems that not many are of the same opinion. I've looked around a few news outlets' ratings pages and I see 5s (!?) and 6s; on Chelsea forums, his performance is barely mentioned. Sure, he didn't do much going forward (did anyone?), but he won a huge number of duels, and almost no successful opposition attacks came down his side of the pitch. Contrast that with what was happening everywhere else on the pitch. To me, it looks like he has begun to find his feet in English football, and should now be in proper contention for a starting berth.

Agree. Luis was very good and I'm somewhat surprised it has gone under the radar.

Agree. Luis was very good and I'm somewhat surprised it has gone under the radar.

Probably a combination of people taking the entirely lazy view that: a) Chelsea played poorly overall + b ) we didn't keep a clean sheet + c) Luis is currently reserve full-back = d) Luis was poor himself.

I saw one news outlet give Ivan a 7 whilst giving Luis a 5. Lamentable stuff. Entirely reputation-based and narrative-driven. Just like last season where it took news outlets/the general football-watching public almost all season to realise that Azpi was a more than merely 'decent' LB.

Agree with you guys. He was far more effective in the 1x1 duels today. I think he's starting to progress.

Too bad for him to get in the team, Azpilicueta, and not Iva will be benched - which I don't even know if feels like progress in all honesty. Iva should be the one to move, but he will never be displaced this season... Time for him to get a red card ban maybe?

Agree with you guys. He was far more effective in the 1x1 duels today. I think he's starting to progress.

Too bad for him to get in the team, Azpilicueta, and not Iva will be benched - which I don't even know if feels like progress in all honesty. Iva should be the one to move, but he will never be displaced this season... Time for him to get a red card ban maybe?

I agree, Iva needs a rest or just a spell on the sidelines.

Dave + Luis

Luis was great last night against a really dangerous team, if we're all being honest yes they are 7th but Anfield was rocking and we looked nervous.

Thought he had a really great game. Probably my MOTM only after Hazard before he came off. His passing was great, he really helped the front 6 and defensively he did much better than he was doing lately as well. For me, clearly his best performance for us so far.

Luis pled his case to Mourinho last night. Does Mourinho have enough adaptiveness to cast aside his stubbornness and drop Ivanovic for Azpilicueta?

..I don't think so.

Truth be told, I actually think that Azpi is the FB that currently 'deserves' to be on the bench when going purely by the level of performance and impact shown by each of them over the last month.

Azpilicueta: Poor against Spurs, very good (at RB) against Watford, awful against Newcastle, poor against Bradford, and decent (off the bench) against Liverpool.

Ivanovic: Awful against Spurs, average against Newcastle, very good against Swansea, poor against Liverpool in the first leg, and decent (with a goal) in the second leg.

Luis: Average against Watford, decent (off the bench) against Newcastle, very good against Swansea, and good-to-very good in both games against Liverpool.

Please note, however, that I DO consider Azpi to be the best of the three when all of them are playing at (or near) their maximum levels.