Filipe Luís

Jase

Since when is Filipe Luis not good at going forward? Sure, he isn't as cavalier as let's say Marcelo (not a lot are tbh) but he's still very good at going forward, overlapping his winger and putting in a good cross.

He's the complete fullback. Good at attacking, good at defending.

I remember the brazilians saying Luis is the worse attacking fullback in the ranks...

Alves, maicon, maxwell, marcelo, danilo, etc.

People can talk about how Eden needs someone to overlap, etc, but if Jose plays luis the same way he plays dave last season, its going to be the same for hazard.

Again I completely disagree with you.

Luis wasn't bought to give Hazard on option on the flank(though I think he will help a bit), he was bought to alleviate the defensive responsibility Hazard has on the left flank. Having a solid, veteran defender in behind Hazard will allow him to focus most on what he does best.

Luis can overlap but his main function is providing sufficient cover for Eden.

Luis wasn't bought to give Hazard on option on the flank(though I think he will help a bit), he was bought to alleviate the defensive responsibility Hazard has on the left flank. Having a solid, veteran defender in behind Hazard will allow him to focus most on what he does best.

My comments was based on what people wrote concerning hazard +lb.

Hazard already had dave and cole, which are as solid as lbs in the epl a team can have

Hazard already had dave and cole, which are as solid as lbs in the epl a team can have

Cole was past his best and Azpi was playing out of position. Luis is the kind of vet that will allow Hazard to flourish. He's smart... Also, I never rated Azpi until Jose worked with him, if his impact on Azpi can be similar to that of Luis we're golden.

But offensively we were limited because Cole lost his legs and Azpi is not a natural LB and with him being right footed we were not as fluid attacking down the flanks.

Not necessarily. Sure, against the bigger teams who are more threatening on the attack, Filipe Luis won't venture forward as much, but against teams that sit deep against us, he'll definitely be providing Hazard with options going forward. That's the beauty of a "dual threat" fullback if you will.

He wasn't just bought for his main function to just be providing sufficient cover for Hazard. If we want to get the best out of Hazard we need to open up spaces for him and have willing runners that will overlap/make intelligent runs for him, and not just leave him isolated to face 2/3 players on his own. Luis will definitely help in that regards too.

Not necessarily. Sure, against the bigger teams who are more threatening on the attack, Filipe Luis won't venture forward as much, but against teams that sit deep against us, he'll definitely be providing Hazard with options going forward. That's the beauty of a "dual threat" fullback if you will.

He wasn't just bought for his main function to just be providing sufficient cover for Hazard. If we want to get the best out of Hazard we need to open up spaces for him and have willing runners that will overlap/make intelligent runs for him, and not just leave him isolated to face 2/3 players on his own. Luis will definitely help in that regards too.

Where have I said he was just bought to cover Hazard? I said his main function is this.

And I would bet good money this is true. Jose doesn't flip philosophies so quickly, Luis is Ashley Cole and Azpi's replacement.

Where have I said he was just bought to cover Hazard? I said his main function is this.

And I would bet good money this is true. Jose doesn't flip philosophies so quickly, Luis is Ashley Cole and Azpi's replacement.

That's what I'm saying though - I would say his main function is to provide defensive cover and to assist Hazard in going forward. Not just defensive cover.

With Luis we now become immensely strong going forward down the left. Hazard has always been fantastic at going forward, that isn't in question here but the overlaps from Luis and combination with Hazard will prove a real threat for any team. Luis has the ability to get at people but won't have a problem doing both, he is a superb athlete.

Hard to agree with that. Why did Jose spend £20m on Luis when Azpi was doing the defensive job perfectly?

IMO Luis is bought to provide a new dimension to the left flank and compliment Hazard. We hardly saw any link up play between Hazard and Azpi last season. It was almost as if he was own his own and double marked every time he got the ball on the left flank. Luis is a perfectly balanced signing and I don't think Jose is going to ask him to bring down his attacking game.

Hard to agree with that. Why did Jose spend £20m on Luis when Azpi was doing the defensive job perfectly?

IMO Luis is bought to provide a new dimension to the left flank and compliment Hazard. We hardly saw any link up play between Hazard and Azpi last season. It was almost as if he was own his own and double marked every time he got the ball on the left flank. Luis is a perfectly balanced signing and I don't think Jose is going to ask him to bring down his attacking game.

:clap:

I highly doubt that is the case. If you see Azpi average position last year, you can see how low Azpi position was.

Luis signing is an obvious signing, we only have one left fullback in our team and we need one more.

Couple Things to consider:1. Morinho was very impressed with azpi last year, azpi was defensively very good

2. Ivan attached 24/7 and he wasn't that great

So I'm guessing signing Luis was for his offensive contributions.

Luis agreement reached

Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with Atletico Madrid for the transfer of Filipe Luis.

The move is subject to the 28-year-old left-back agreeing personal terms.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/luis-agreement-reached.html