Filipe Luís

Jase

The player doesn't have the final decision in regards to what number they're going to wear...

Yes, but most likely the club will say yes, right? What is the club reason to reject it? Benayoun get 10, Boulahrouz get 9.

Well, sometimes no but sometimes yes. Kinda depends on the situation really.

Yes, but most likely the club will say yes, right? What is the club reason to reject it? Benayoun get 10, Boulahrouz get 9.

Ultimately, the final decision is down to the club. Can't ever see the club allowing Romeu to take the number 8 shirt... Especially so soon after Lamps has left. Don't think Oriol would want that number to begin with anyway.

Not to nitpick as I agree with the rest of what you said, but £35M isn't cheap. It's about average. We paid that for Hazard and you wouldn't say that was cheap would you? And Hazard is a better player than Sanchez, or at least as good. £27M for Fabregas is cheap, £35M isn't.

Sanchez was bought by Arsenal as a world-class player in his prime, whereas we bought Hazard who was barely out of his teenage years largely based on potential. That's not to say I wouldn't prefer Hazard over Sanchez, because I would, even though he's still developing and at a younger age with the best yet to come.

Ultimately, the final decision is down to the club. Can't ever see the club allowing Romeu to take the number 8 shirt... Especially so soon after Lamps has left. Don't think Oriol wouldn want that number to begin with anyway.

Like I said, it depends on the situation. Obviously if it comes to the shirt numbers like No.8, No.26, No.25, then the club will be strict with it and be the ones making the final decision. Otherwise, the club will give the choice to the players to select their favorite number.

Shouldn't they make it official soon? If he's going to join our Austria tour...

Don't think it's gonna be an issue but there's still a personal term to agree on and medical to complete before the official announcement. So, chill...

Absolutely.

If Mourinho's main concern was offering cover to Hazard's advances, he wouldn't have gone for a Brazilian LB of all possible.

No matter how less impressive in the attack he is compared to other Brazilians, he's still a Brazilian FB and as I said here in Brazil (and he played plenty of time still in Brazil) FB are rated more about their offensive game rather than their defensive game. We still play a lot through the flanks, it's our style and while we've incorporated wings (we were the ones who invented them in the first place in the 70's), even the smallest side here will have a FB bombing forward, it's how we play the game.

If Mourinho wanted to offer only defensive stability in the left flank he had two options 1) keep Azpili there (he's a beast defending) or 2) in case he wanted to restore Azpili to his original position he would have gone to the same profile for a LB (and there were a few available, even if not as good as Luís), not for Luís.

All that said, I do think Luís is better defending rather than attacking and overlapping, although of course he isn't shy in the latter.

This particular Brazilian actually likes to put in a tackle.

If any of you could find me another LB who wins the ball up field with 4.1 tackles and nearly 2 interceptions then you may be onto something. Azpi was great out of position but now with Luis we have proper balance down both flanks, two guys capable of winning the ball in dangerous areas and initiating the counter.

Luis is a very balanced LB in the terms of attacking and defending. If Jose was not going to let him attack a lot, he would have just kept Dave there who does the defensive work amazingly well but lacks quality going forward because he is a right-footed player.

I don't think Jose would mind Filipe going forward more than Dave as long as he does his defensive work perfectly which he did at Atletico. Same thing applies to whoever plays on the right.

I guess in time we will see... Really don't get this argument about playing a guy out of position, yes Azpi was great there so why not get the guy who actually plays that position and allow Azpi to be great in his natural position?

There will be times our FB's get forward but for the most part they will sit deep and provide a platform for our attackers to build from

There will be times our FB's get forward but for the most part they will sit deep and provide a platform for our attackers to build from

I disagree. I think for the majority of times (against inferior teams which we'll face more often than not) they'll support our attackers to build play, and not only provide a solid platform.

I'm very certain our fullbacks will be more involved in general play next season. Mou will not be as conservative next season as he was in the last.

I disagree. I think for the majority of times (against inferior teams which we'll face more often than not) they'll support our attackers to build play, and not only provide a solid platform.

I'm very certain our fullbacks will be more involved in general play next season. Mou will not be as conservative next season as he was in the last.

Nah... that usually happens if we haven't scored and we're searching for it. 70mins or so.

You guys are hoping Mourinho changes his stripes but he knows how to win and his methods don't variate all that much.

You guys are hoping Mourinho changes his stripes but he knows how to win and his methods don't variate all that much.

Now which stripes are these? The ones where he played Marcelo as a very attacking left-back or the ones where he was last season pretty much forced to play a right-back out of position on the left?

I get it, you have this agenda against Mourinho but let's not still be ignorant. To even talk about 'stripes' with Mourinho is wrong, the man's more like a chameleon who can adapt to work with what he's got (to some extent).

Now which stripes are these? The ones where he played Marcelo as a very attacking left-back or the ones where he was last season pretty much forced to play a right-back out of position on the left?

I get it, you have this agenda against Mourinho but let's not still be ignorant. To even talk about 'stripes' with Mourinho is wrong, the man's more like a chameleon who can adapt to work with what he's got (to some extent).

I LOVE MOURINHO! Have no idea what you're talking about!

Oh and by the way I know a bit more about Mourinho's methods than most, I actually know a guy who took his coaching badges with him. I've actually SEEN one of Jose's dossiers.

Marcelo also lost his job to Coentrao, Azpi played left back for defending purposes not attack.