Diego Costa

Spike

I'm assuming because we're waiting to shift Ba out because he has Diego Costa's number.

I can't see us waiting for Ba to be sold to announce this. We don't have to announce his squad number the day he signs!

The delay is purely because he wanted his holiday out the way first.

Costa: "I do not think there are many changes [with style]. Chelsea are a great team and the English Premier League is good to play." #CFC

Costa: "The Premier League is a league in which I wanted to play for a long time and I think it will be a very good & fast adaptation." #CFC

Costa on Torres: "It's always good to have competition. The important thing for a big club is having great players." #CFC

Costa: "Torres is a great player, I know I will have to fight hard and I like it. So I think it will be a clean & healthy competition" #CFC

Torres is a great player?! Oh Diego, you and those PR skills.

Can't wait to see him at Cobham!

Costa: "Torres is a great player, I know I will have to fight hard and I like it. So I think it will be a clean & healthy competition" #CFC

Torres is a great player?! Oh Diego, you and those PR skills.

Can't wait to see him at Cobham!

Not sure if patronizing Torres or serious.. :lol:

Really dont understand why he is going to link up only 3 weeks before PL starts.

Its different for players who were already in the side, as they dont require integration, just match fitness.

With New Signings, they should be asked to join as soon as possible so they can be fully integrated into the Chelsea way of things.

A week more of training with the Manager and players can do wonders for a new signing, so i think this is an issue which should be taken care of in future summer windows.

Really dont understand why he is going to link up only 3 weeks before PL starts.

Its different for players who were already in the side, as they dont require integration, just match fitness.

With New Signings, they should be asked to join as soon as possible so they can be fully integrated into the Chelsea way of things.

A week more of training with the Manager and players can do wonders for a new signing, so i think this is an issue which should be taken care of in future summer windows.

There was a World Cup for christ sake. When do you suggest he has his holiday then?

Are you serious?

Having completed his medical in June, Chelsea announced on 1 July 2014 that they had agreed to meet the £32 million buy-out clause in Costa's contract. On 15 July, Chelsea confirmed the completion of the signing of Costa, who signed a five-year contract on a salary of £150,000 a week. Costa said: "I am very happy to sign for Chelsea. Everybody knows it is a big club in a very competitive league, and I am very excited to get started in England with a fantastic coach and team-mates. Having played against Chelsea last season I know the high quality of the squad I am joining". Following the departure of former Chelsea striker Demba Ba, Costa inherited his number 19 shirt, the same number he wore at the 2014 World Cup for Spain, and previously at Atlético.

Costa scored on his Chelsea debut on 27 July, running onto a through ball from Cesc Fàbregas in a 21 friendly win against Slovene club Olimpija. Costa then scored his second goal of pre-season in a 20 friendly win against Fenerbahçe, on 8 August, described by the Daily Mail as a "wondergoal". He ended his pre-season with two goals in his first match at Stamford Bridge, a 20 friendly win against Real Sociedad, on 12 August.

Costa in Chelsea's game against Arsenal at Stamford Bridge in October 2014

His first competitive match was Chelsea's first game of the league season, away to Burnley on 18 August, scoring the team's equaliser in a 31 victory. Costa also scored in his second league game, opening a 20 home win over Leicester City. He scored in his third consecutive match on 30 August, netting the first and last goals of a 63 win at Everton, the first goal coming after 35 seconds. Costa was given the Premier League Player of the Month award for August 2014. He completed his first Premier League hat-trick in his fourth game of the season against Swansea City as Chelsea continued their perfect start to the season with a 42 win. With seven, Costa holds the record for most goals in his first four Premier League matches, surpassing the tally of six by both Sergio Agüero and Micky Quinn. In spite of his form at the start of the season, Costa had been suffering from a recurring hamstring problem which limited his participation in training; manager José Mourinho said that it would not heal until mid-November.

Costa scored his 10th goal of the league season to give Chelsea a 21 win away to Liverpool on 8 November, preserving their unbeaten start to the campaign. On 17 January 2015, he scored twice in the first half as Chelsea won 50 away at Swansea. Later that month, Costa was charged by the FA in relation to a stamp on Emre Can during Chelsea's win over Liverpool in the League Cup semi-finals, and was given a three-match ban. Costa won his first trophy for Chelsea on 1 March, as they defeated Tottenham Hotspur 20 to win the League Cup Final at Wembley Stadium. In the 56th minute, his shot was deflected in by Kyle Walker for the second goal of the game. Initially the goal was given as a Walker own goal, but Costa was later awarded the goal.

On 26 April, Costa was chosen of one of two forwards for the season's PFA Team of the Year, alongside Tottenham's Harry Kane. Five of Costa's Chelsea teammates were also in the selection. Due to injury, he missed was due to miss the remainder of the season, in which Chelsea won the league title with a 10 home win over Crystal Palace on 3 May. However, he featured in their last match of the season on the 24th, replacing the injured Didier Drogba after half an hour against Sunderland. Seven minutes later scored his 20th goal of the league campaign, a penalty to equalise in an eventual 31 home win.

Click here to view the record