James Rodríguez

If we refuse (which we seem to have) the asking price for James, I believe it'll motivate any other suitor (Man Utd) to negotiate a slightly lower fee. That in itself sends a reminder to Real that they cannot ask for whatever price they want and get it with ease. This could be the start of a knock-on effect to reverting things to how they should be. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Leif said:

It doesn't have to be that way. If some key teams simply refuse to play to this silly game of inflated fees, like ourselves, Arsenal (lol), 'Pool, Spurs, all the German teams bar Bayern, Juve, & then again all La Liga teams bar the top 2; so essentially anyone not named City, Bayern, Barca or Madrid; things will return to normality in European football. Those who'd be willing to pay more than us, only those 4 teams, can buy only so many players. Once they're full of players, any teams selling players wouldn't find any teams they're able to extort, since the rest of us would be rooted in reality. With a world class scout team & board members who see that big names aren't necessarily better than cheap, hidden gems, we'd always be able to compete at the top, with the rare splash on someone worth the sickening fee. (Just look at Atletico/Seville, Dortmund, Napoli.)

Summary: We should and perhaps must refuse to pay over the odds for players. Don't adjust to the demands of other teams. Only weaklings allow others to dictate the value of what they seek. 

Yes, let's delay the club's progression even further.... 

2 hours ago, Leif said:

If we refuse (which we seem to have) the asking price for James, I believe it'll motivate any other suitor (Man Utd) to negotiate a slightly lower fee. That in itself sends a reminder to Real that they cannot ask for whatever price they want and get it with ease. This could be the start of a knock-on effect to reverting things to how they should be. 

What?!? If we refuse then someone else will come in with whatever they want and sign him instead of us, particularly someone like Man United, who have shown they aren't worried about spending huge sums on players in last few years like they did on Pogba, Di Maria, Bailly, Shaw... so yeah lets just start trying to tell Real Madrid 70M is too much for a player with atleast 3-4 years of a contract left, who originally cost them something similar and will attract interest from other huge clubs. If we want him get him, no point fucking about trying to lower a fee with Real Madrid, they'll just sell to highest bidder, we arent Arsenal. Also Real Madrid along with Barcelona are the BIGGEST clubs in the world, as if it wasn't hard enough trying to buy off them. 

4 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

And? United paid 90m for Pogba.

They are 13 points behind us.

Signing quality players is one thing, signing overpriced marketing stars is another.

lol it's been 17 games. I doubt united regret their decision yet. 

9 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

But he is/was. In this market, 60M is a minimum for a player of his calibre.

The point I was making is that if our squad builders share your opinion that James is worth £60 million then, fine, go-ahead and make the deal. If however, they think that the man is overpriced for what he offers, then that shouldn't change simply because they have a load of Chinese money they weren't expecting.

6 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

There's no going back, it will only get worse, if we don't pay, PSG/City/United will, that's it.

If the player concerned is not worth the cost of his transfer, then let them. You know what will happen if we allow our rivals to waste money on sub-premium players? They'll end up in the same fine mess Premier League clubs have dug themselves into.

Never have Premier League clubs spent more money than they are doing currently, yet, relative to their continental counterparts, they are nowhere near as good as they were 10 years ago. If you simply keep spending more and more money on the same calibre of players, how do you expect to improve?

In fact, over time, you will end up spending more money for worse players. This is because the clubs to which you are shelling out all of this transfer largess will use that windfall to increase the wages of the good players they want to keep. The pool of talent which is available to you will shrink and you will end up paying higher transfer fees for a lower rank of footballer.

Money works for football clubs if they invest it wisely.

If anything we should have gone for Gotze last summer, who is superior to James. But in truth both of them don't fit our current system at all, because we need a workhorse on the wing, like Alexis Sanchez.

6 hours ago, Chelsea? said:

lol it's been 17 games. I doubt united regret their decision yet. 

I know and perhaps long term he will end up one of their best players.

Im just saying that if you pay 70m for someone, it doesnt mean you will get such good player who will give you great results.

Football is 11 men sport and I rather bring someone that fits the squad and coach, than sign overrated player just because he is big name in football and people ''believe'' he can improve and win you games. 

Conte hasn't even had a "big" signing yet at Chelsea, so this one would be a terrible bust for the manager when Rodriguez comes up with every excuse for why he can't hack it in the Prem. NO.

You wanna break the bank for a player, go with Verratti. Known quantity, what we need to get our possession game up to the next level and the manager likes this kind of true CM.

7 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

If the player concerned is not worth the cost of his transfer, then let them. You know what will happen if we allow our rivals to waste money on sub-premium players? They'll end up in the same fine mess Premier League clubs have dug themselves into.

Never have Premier League clubs spent more money than they are doing currently, yet, relative to their continental counterparts, they are nowhere near as good as they were 10 years ago. If you simply keep spending more and more money on the same calibre of players, how do you expect to improve?

In fact, over time, you will end up spending more money for worse players. This is because the clubs to which you are shelling out all of this transfer largess will use that windfall to increase the wages of the good players they want to keep. The pool of talent which is available to you will shrink and you will end up paying higher transfer fees for a lower rank of footballer.

Money works for football clubs if they invest it wisely.

There's a big flaw in your analysis. You didn't give it time. At this rate English football will dominate again, but those things take time and good administration. I have no doubt we will soon be at the top again. 

It's going to be more and more difficult for teams with less investment to go far in Europe. We need to catch up and that's investing. English teams have the funds now, not spending it with very top players won't take them anywhere. Football became this. Organized teams with less investment can have a fluke now and then and reach finals or fight for titles up to a few weeks before the end of the season. They will win nothing and those chances are going to happen less and less. 

The problem with England isn't how much they've been investing, but the lack of a well founded plan. 

This is the 1st proper transfer window Contes had with us. IF the story is to be believed that he gave the board his wants list when he came (Bonucci,Nainggolan,Manolas) then none of them came off and considering we presumed all the Italian players would jump for a chance to play for him we was wrong.

So we shall see IF he wants any new players and what direction hes going to go in.

Now me I'm not sure if James would fit. I'd like to think he would. But I do think that we need to pay whatever thr prices are if we are going to get players that we truly need.

Conte doesn't seem like a daft bloke so I cant see him wanting to buy shit. What I would like to see is him buy the players HE wants and have the board behind him. Instead of Emenalo and others buying players the manager just isn't bothered with for 1 reason or another and have them collecting rust.

I know it would never happen but I'd love to know who is behind whichever player we signed so we got some idea how our transfer politics worked..

1 hour ago, Barbara said:

There's a big flaw in your analysis. You didn't give it time. At this rate English football will dominate again, but those things take time and good administration. I have no doubt we will soon be at the top again. 

It's going to be more and more difficult for teams with less investment to go far in Europe. We need to catch up and that's investing. English teams have the funds now, not spending it with very top players won't take them anywhere. Football became this. Organized teams with less investment can have a fluke now and then and reach finals or fight for titles up to a few weeks before the end of the season. They will win nothing and those chances are going to happen less and less. 

The problem with England isn't how much they've been investing, but the lack of a well founded plan. 

I thought that was what I said. :-) 

Paying premium prices for premium players is the right way to use financial muscle. Paying premium prices for sub-premium players is the right way to waste a lot of money, and make your rivals better.

On 25/06/2014 at 1:38 PM, Rmpr said:

Neymar has played better than both...

We could have Neymar joining chelsea before Pele open his mouth telling him not to joining chelsea picture Neymar hazard Costa in the same team that trio would destroy the PL 

17 hours ago, Beigl said:

If anything we should have gone for Gotze last summer, who is superior to James. But in truth both of them don't fit our current system at all, because we need a workhorse on the wing, like Alexis Sanchez.

You're kidding, right? Gotze is shit.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You