The Board

It's quite ardently clear why the transfer policy at our club is a failure. Basically you expect managers to work with players who they didn't want in the first place, trying to fit them into a team they don't belong in. I know this is a business and they have a transfer budget and policy, then why don't just go and give the managers a budget for transfers, instead of trying your hand with players that the coach doesn't even want in his team in the first place. It's a waste of money basically, with no meaningful outcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Also it's a crying shame the board is devoid of anyone remotely connected with football. All ex Sibneft cronies yes men and women. Even a mediator between the board and manager/ players would be good.

What the fuck are we selling Cech, Lukaku, Salah, Matic etc to Premiership rivals for ?? That there straight away is chucking points away.

Ferguson was a bully  -but during United's Red Reign in the 80s 90s he and Kenyon made sure no quality player was offloaded to rivals. It's madness.

I agree. When United sold us Mark Hughes in the mid 90's he was still more than a useful player but not quite anymore at that top level but we weren't at their level at that time. 

When they sold us Veron, Fergie knew he was a busted flush and we'd struggle as much as they had with getting the best from him.

I can understand the logic behind selling Matic and replacing him with Bakayoko, who the board/manager felt would bring something different that we were lacking and a much younger player. But we should have pushed for Matic to go abroad or held out for more money. There is no way with the greatest respect to Drinkwater, that we should be selling Matic for £40m and buying Drinkwater for £35m. In that situation Matic becomes worth £50-60m, then we'd see how much United still wanted him for. Mata is much the same, he's had a pretty good career at United since we let him go there and it looks good business on their behalf now.

Lukaku doesn't annoy me as much because we sold to a club that wasn't challenging us so I can understand that more. (like above with United selling us Hughes) The annoyance is the lack of long term planning by not including buy back clauses with some of these players who we clearly had high hopes for (Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah). Even if Mourinho didn't want them, it protected us should we feel the need to bring them back in the future once Mourinho had left. 

18 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Also it's a crying shame the board is devoid of anyone remotely connected with football. All ex Sibneft cronies yes men and women. Even a mediator between the board and manager/ players would be good.

What the fuck are we selling Cech, Lukaku, Salah, Matic etc to Premiership rivals for ?? That there straight away is chucking points away.

Ferguson was a bully  -but during United's Red Reign in the 80s 90s he and Kenyon made sure no quality player was offloaded to rivals. It's madness.

Emenalo was reportedly the mediator, a football person. Things turned for the worse quickly after he left, it was said they were close and he was on Conte's side fighting his battles in the board room. Also, we didn't sell Lukaku and Salah to premiership rivals... Salah to Roma and Lukaku to Everton (not a rival). Cech, Mata and Matic are the only ones I can recall from the top of my head, which were still quite bad (though respectful) sales. Now two of them are directly contributing to depriving us from Champions League. :rant:

1 minute ago, manpe said:

Emenalo was reportedly the mediator. Things turned for the worse quickly after he left, it was said they were close and he was on Conte's side fighting his battles in the board room. Also, we didn't sell Lukaku and Salah to premiership rivals... Salah to Roma and Lukaku to Everton (not a rival). Cech, Mata and Matic are the only ones I can recall from the top of my head, which were still quite bad though lauded sales by ourselves at those times.

Emenalo was also reportedly Romans eyes and ears, we don't know what the truth is/was. He was a friend of Average Grunt who ingratiated himself to Abramovich -that we do know.

United also sold their best players abroad -with a contract stipulation that they couldn't play for Premiership rivals. That's the difference. The exceptions being the ones Superblue 1986 quoted above.

1 minute ago, Fulham Broadway said:

United also sold their best players abroad -with a contract stipulation that they couldn't play for Premiership rivals. That's the difference.

Wait, so a transfer agreement between clubs can have a clause that the buying club is not allowed to sell to specific clubs? First time I hear of it. The selling club must make a hell of a discount or include a bunch of perks for the buying party to agree to that.

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

Wait, so a transfer agreement between clubs can have a clause that the buying club is not allowed to sell to specific clubs? First time I hear of it. The selling club must make a hell of a discount or include a bunch of perks for the buying party to agree to that.

Wait so yes. This was very often the case between Gooners and Yernited.

2 minutes ago, manpe said:

Are such deals still allowed? Haven't heard of any happening.

Well you can (agents and lawyers)  put whatever you want in contracts. Some of the most complex involved Tevez and third party ownership - but the compromise is as you say, is discounts to the selling club. Hence I reiterate the need for a proper footballing mediating persona, and Buck an alleged lawyer to go through the contracts with a fine tooth comb

26 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The annoyance is the lack of long term planning by not including buy back clauses with some of these players who we clearly had high hopes for (Lukaku, De Bruyne, Salah)

Exactly ! We have in the board people with alleged acumen to sort this.

Sounds like the type of director we need.

Campos was a scout for Real Madrid during Jose Mourinho’s tenure before moving to Monaco, where he helped recruit a once-in-a-generation crop of talent including Joao Moutinho, James Rodriguez, Bernardo Silva, Djibril Sidibe, Benjamin Mendy and Mbappe.

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not a fan of that website it's full of middle class pretentious wankers and it's a poor article in my opinion. Yes we nearly folded in the 70's mainly because of building the East Stand but he doesn't mention why. What happened was Britain in the 70's was like a third world country everyone was on strike and it lead to a three day week. It also coincided with the builders who were working on the East Stand going on strike meaning the costs went through the roof.(no pun intended). The board were overambitious no question about it but they couldn't foresee what was going to happen in Britain economically.

Yes we have some concerns but comparing it to 70's Chelsea is frankly bollocks we might have a few lean years but from 74- 97 we were a mess on and off the pitch. In the 80's and when the first Sky deal came in the early 90's the big five where Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool bloody Tottenham and ha ha Everton.