Yaya Toure also looked only decent when playing at Barca, a team that couldnt play to his strengths. He had very limited role at DM and CB, yet he become world class CM in Premier League.

Song was beast in his last season at Arsenal, perhaps he went to forward for a DM, but he would have Matic next to him, so it wouldnt be a problem.

Most importantly, playing for Barca, you cant judge his ability. They play him on fucking CB position, he is DM or box to box. They completely limit his ability, play him only to stay back and protect goal. And he doesnt play much or regular either.

Would consider him getting for decent price, but only if he is in good physical shape to replicate Arsenal form.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and in the past 2 years? essien was a beast in 2007-09. was loaned out to RM as a LB in 2012. 2 years are enough of a time to change a player and for this guy, it has. he is a shadow of a player who played that long, perfect ball to rvp against everton (i think).

He barely plays any games and Barcelona aren't really using him properly. Essien analogy isn't really relevant because the main thing that ruined Essien was his injuries.

At £10m/£15m he would be a great buy.

Don't forget he's HG too.

We have young players like Chalobah, Van Ginkel, Baker and Loftus-Cheek on the cusp of the first-team. I'd like to see them given a chance before we spend £30 million + on someone else.

This is a player who has proven himself in this league, is probably underpriced because he was apparently bought to Barca as a defender and is homegrown.

I want to see some of our young players also but we need to be realistic here. If we want to win trophies next season a world class CM is needed with our without the young players..

He barely plays any games and Barcelona aren't really using him properly. Essien analogy isn't really relevant because the main thing that ruined Essien was his injuries.

At £10m/£15m he would be a great buy.

Don't forget he's HG too.

Only 26 years old too so it's not like Song has been shit because his career is on the decline, he just hasn't got a chance at Barca. With midfielders like Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Busquets, Thiago (last season) in the team it's no shame being stuck on the bench.

I want to see some of our young players also but we need to be realistic here. If we want to win trophies next season a world class CM is needed with our without the young players..

Wouldn't classify song as 'world class', I'd see him as a squad player if anything.. Someone who's going to play a good bulk of games but also ease someone like MvG into the first team eventually.

Song was pretty amazing in last two seasons at Arsenal...now we have Matic, Song isnt required, but wouldnt mind it if he replaces Ramires and Mikel (and possibly Luiz will be sold too), while we get another CM

Matic, top CM, Song, Ginkel, Baker?, Lamps. If we are serious about selling Mikel, Ramires and Luiz, we will definately need another DM (besides more creative CM) and Song would fill that role good enough. I also like Gueye from Lille, another realy good allround DM who wouldnt cost much and looks like Mou type of player.

I'm not really sure. On one hand it's hard to deny his positive spell at Arsenal, even their fans will maintain the RvP's blistering form in his last season was mostly down to Song playing in those accurate balls into feet. On the other hand all of his prior interviews have always talked about his love for Arsenal etc and to me that sort of creates a conflict of interest.

The pro's are obvious to me as well, he can play both next to Song and can fill in as an emergency CB if we do get his with an injury crisis. His passing is also quite good and his strong build means next to Matic we'll have a firm wall protecting the CB's

The con's (and I can't speak for his time at Barca) were at Arsenal. While he was successful in assisting attack with RvP he was also very much liable in the stupid goals Arsenal conceded that season. He suffered from Yaya Toure syndrome.. Where he'd love to go walk about in the attacking 3rd of the pitch but was slow and unreliable in getting back into position to due his defensive work. Sure we've got Matic to fill that void, but can we afford tactical indiscipline? Especially when Mata was sold for that reason.

Overall, if he's a squad player than that's not bad business on him arriving alone. Mourinho will obviously do his best to embed tactical awareness into the midfield player. But if he's going to be a regular then I'm sure we can do better from the money we raise from selling Luiz.

This is why it won't happen in my eyes.

Good player, ok lost his confidence at Barca,has PL experience but he only picked up assists because Wenger let him off the leash a bit with Arteta next to him so he could push further up because Arteta was holding his position to contribute in building play in a deeper position but that still came back to bite Arsenal. I also think Matic-Song isn't going to be the most creative midfield pairing despite Song having 11 assists in his last season in the PL, it was the only time in his career he had more than 5 assists in a season. I doubt he will be given that same freedom when you consider Matic has periods in games where he is allowed to contribute more further up the park due to the fact he can carry the ball quite well and is mobile enough to do so.

This is why it won't happen in my eyes.

Good player, ok lost his confidence at Barca,has PL experience but he only picked up assists because Wenger let him off the leash a bit with Arteta next to him so he could push further up because Arteta was holding his position to contribute in building play in a deeper position but that still came back to bite Arsenal. I also think Matic-Song isn't going to be the most creative midfield pairing despite Song having 11 assists in his last season in the PL, it was the only time in his career he had more than 5 assists in a season. I doubt he will be given that same freedom when you consider Matic has periods in games where he is allowed to contribute more further up the park due to the fact he can carry the ball quite well and is mobile enough to do so.

But flip the coin for a second.

Mourinho's complaints about us this season have been being unable to break down the teams who keep 11 players in their own box and us being unable to find that killer ball or that striker to finish. The striker problem will of course take care of itself over the course of the summer. But there's a case to say we've missed those deep lying runs of Mourinho's first tenure with us.. We all remember the importance of Makelele. Now of course I don't dare suggest Song is near Maka's level or ability but he does possess that ability to make strides into the heart of the defenses (and/or play an acute long ball to feet.)

Under Mourinho he can get the balance between Song and Matic right, instilling the discipline into Matic to make sure he doesn't go walk about and stays in position. As it is Matic doesn't really go forward much anyway so we don't really have to worry. As you said, Song delivered when Arteta was brough alongside next to him. Pellegrini identified this flaw in Manchester City and one of his first signings was Fernandinho. Forget the price, he got exactly what was missing in that midfield.. the job Javi Garcia was unable to do.

Song will be a stop-gap, he won't be the lynchpin of our midfield.. But he offers options. He offers a plan b which we've often lacked. I wouldn't want Luiz to be swapped to be honest. I'd rather we got the value for Song correct, which if it is £10million would be a bargain for a player of only 26.

But flip the coin for a second.

Mourinho's complaints about us this season have been being unable to break down the teams who keep 11 players in their own box and us being unable to find that killer ball or that striker to finish. The striker problem will of course take care of itself over the course of the summer. But there's a case to say we've missed those deep lying runs of Mourinho's first tenure with us.. We all remember the importance of Makelele. Now of course I don't dare suggest Song is near Maka's level or ability but he does possess that ability to make strides into the heart of the defenses (and/or play an acute long ball to feet.)

Under Mourinho he can get the balance between Song and Matic right, instilling the discipline into Matic to make sure he doesn't go walk about and stays in position. As it is Matic doesn't really go forward much anyway so we don't really have to worry. As you said, Song delivered when Arteta was brough alongside next to him. Pellegrini identified this flaw in Manchester City and one of his first signings was Fernandinho. Forget the price, he got exactly what was missing in that midfield.. the job Javi Garcia was unable to do.

Song will be a stop-gap, he won't be the lynchpin of our midfield.. But he offers options. He offers a plan b which we've often lacked. I wouldn't want Luiz to be swapped to be honest. I'd rather we got the value for Song correct, which if it is £10million would be a bargain for a player of only 26.

It all goes down to Oscars ability to create. If he reaches his best form and starts creating chances along Hazard and Willian, then Song-Matic would be good enough, because we would have plenty of creativity upfront. But if Oscar stalls like this season, we defo need a deep lying playmaker next to Matic.

It all goes down to Oscars ability to create. If he reaches his best form and starts creating chances along Hazard and Willian, then Song-Matic would be good enough, because we would have plenty of creativity upfront. But if Oscar stalls like this season, we defo need a deep lying playmaker next to Matic.

Thing is, we don't need him to step up that much to an extent.

Bare with me here.. He does need to improve on this season, no doubt about it. But within Hazard, Willian and perhaps the addition of Schurrle and Salah to an extent we do have options for different kinds of creativity. From Salah's undoubted pace and Hazard wonderful technical movement to get to the byline and cut back. There's a variety of options for a new striker to feed on.

I don't see Mourinho as deep lying playmaker kind of guy though. Yeah he did have Modric and Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid but they were already there so he utilised but at Inter and Chelsea it was always a tradition no10 he played with. Wesley Sneijder at Inter Milan and Lampard at Chelsea.. He builds his team around that. You could even say Real Madrid it was Ozil (but that's a different kind of discussion).

His 2 in front of defense was usually a more defensive option as opposed to reliance on them for a creative option. That's why one of his favourite players was actually Khedira for example. The more I write about it, the more I actually think Song is the type of player Mourinho would actually want at Chelsea.

I don't think anyone would say he's one to solve our problems by any stretch. But he does bring experience, depth and another option for attack to the table.. Which makes this signing logical.

Thing is, we don't need him to step up that much to an extent.

Bare with me here.. He does need to improve on this season, no doubt about it. But within Hazard, Willian and perhaps the addition of Schurrle and Salah to an extent we do have options for different kinds of creativity. From Salah's undoubted pace and Hazard wonderful technical movement to get to the byline and cut back. There's a variety of options for a new striker to feed on.

I don't see Mourinho as deep lying playmaker kind of guy though. Yeah he did have Modric and Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid but they were already there so he utilised but at Inter and Chelsea it was always a tradition no10 he played with. Wesley Sneijder at Inter Milan and Lampard at Chelsea.. He builds his team around that. You could even say Real Madrid it was Ozil (but that's a different kind of discussion).

His 2 in front of defense was usually a more defensive option as opposed to reliance on them for a creative option. That's why one of his favourite players was actually Khedira for example. The more I write about it, the more I actually think Song is the type of player Mourinho would actually want at Chelsea.

I don't think anyone would say he's one to solve our problems by any stretch. But he does bring experience, depth and another option for attack to the table.. Which makes this signing logical.

I agree, however Oscar needs to step up quite a bit also because Hazard needs someone close to his level so that he can exchange the ball etc...mostly I have feeling Hazard is level above all and no one understands him...

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You