Chelsea v Liverpool

Jase

I'm really looking forward to the last game of the year. The Bridge should be in good voice, what with it being a 4pm Sunday game against a title challenger who we aren't exactly best friends with. A good atmosphere can only help the players.

It's genuinely fascinating to find out which tactics Jose adopts on Sunday. In the last two games we have gone back to basics, or more specifically back to his more preferred style of play, especially in the game at Arsenal. I can definitely foresee Jose employing a 4-3-3 with Essien-Mikel-Lampard across the middle, then Hazard and A.N. Other out wide with probably Torres up top. By the same token, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if, like with the home game against Man City, he uses the 4-2-3-1 by playing Mata or Oscar off the frontman. Personally, my cautious self thinks we should go with the former, cos Liverpool are a real threat on the counter as they proved at the Etihad, but ultimately I approve of whatever Jose goes with.

Ramires will be a big loss for us, no doubt about it. Especially in a game like this, cos a fairly static midfield including any or all of Mikel, Essien and Lampard against mobile, nifty midfielders like Allen, Henderson and Coutinho is a cause for concern.

I haven't seen a great deal of Liverpool lately but clearly they have been on a good run. In the two games I did catch on the box, away at Tottenham and City they were very good. They shift the ball very quickly from back to front and if you let them play in front of you they still have the creativity to create chances, so there's no ideal way of playing them really. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to note that their achilles heel is defending set-pieces. Almost half the goals they've conceded this season have been from penalties, corners or free-kicks, something I feel Jose will look at and look to exploit with the aerial ability of JT, Cahill, Ivanovic and a couple of others. I don't think Gerrard is half the player he was now his legs have caught up with him and, if anything, their midfield probably plays better in the big games without him but they're without Enrique at left-back who I rate highly (especially compared to Aly Cissokho :D) and Sturridge who, were he playing, would be a surefire bet to score against us again.

I think it has the makings of a great game. Reading the previous posts in this thread I feel a few people are too pessimistic (predicting two or three goal defeats!) while others are underestimating them.

If we score I see it being from either a set-piece, counter-attack (they sometimes leave themselves exposed, like for City's second) or maybe, just maybe, Torres will finally banish some demons against them. Suarez will probably notch or create a goal.

Hate predicting matches like these but if I had to I'd go with 1-1. We preserve our unbeaten home record under Jose in the league, they go away happy knowing how tough it is to get a result at the Bridge.

C'mon you Blues!

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm salivating at the random thought of us battering those scum 5-0 or just a score of 3 or more goals than them, with Torres netting a hat-trick!

I hope we play a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1-like formation where Oscar can use more of his defending abilities now that Ramires is suspended, and help Mikel and Lampard as much as possible. In my opinion we shouldn't concentrate with a lot of energy on Suarez, but more on the midfielders behind or besides him, Henderson, even if he looks awkward running, is good at reading passes and knowing where to be when they have the ball, the same with Sterling and Coutinho. They're the ones that need to be nullified to the fullest.

4-3-3:

Cech

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Azpi/Cole

Mikel

Oscar Lampard

Willian Torres Hazard

4-5-1:

Cech

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Azpi/Cole

Mikel

Willian Oscar Lampard Hazard

Torres

I think the guys may be starting to hit their stride, though it has not shown on the scoreboard due to the lack of ability to finish opportunities. I have a good feeling about this one. 3-2 Blues in their best effort of the year. Torres, Hazard and Terry.

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the FA cup win in '12 end a 5 game winless streak against liverpool, and we haven't won against them since?

You are right, although it has to be said we were robbed blind at Anfield last season.

Not sure if anyone realizes this but we have actually not beaten Liverpool in the league since 09/10 season! Record since then has been LLLLDD. A win here on Sunday would be great especially when this Liverpool side is arguably better than in recent seasons!
To add to recent woes against them, Liverpool in the 2008-09 season, ended our unbeaten at home record, which had been building up since Mourinho's last reign. I realize that we were beaten by a lucky deflected goal that day, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the FA cup win in '12 end a 5 game winless streak against liverpool, and we haven't won against them since?

we have played 3 games against them since them.

the first one was a dead rubber. it was i think 2 days after the fa cup win. pool wanted revenge while we simply were hungover from the celebration and were preserving the players who had to play in the CL final after missing 4 first team players and 2 CBs in (gc and DL) who were injured.

then was the game at SB last year, which ended 1-1. we raped them in the first half. should have been 3-0 up minimum. simply bossed the match until suarez scored after pushing rambo off the ball in the corner.

the 3rd match was a disgrace. suarez bited ivanovic but still stays on the pitch. the ref gives pool 1 minute more than the given extra time. and we are robbed blind.

so forgive me if i dont think there is much to take from these stats.

Just hope for some magical reason Torres plays and have the game of his life then some how broke his leg and rule out for 3 months, making us signing a striker in Jan and spare us from him going on a 15 game scoreless streak again.

Just hope for some magical reason Torres plays and have the game of his life then some how broke his leg and rule out for 3 months, making us signing a striker in Jan and spare us from him going on a 15 game scoreless streak again.

Excuse me, but Ferda to have the game of his life, when ?

Yeah Eto'o missed some chances but it's gotta be tough not knowing when you're playing and the few chances you get define if you're playing next match. Just like DeBruyne, Willian, Schurrle and Mata. The only sure things getting penciled in are the back four, Lampard, Ramires and Hazard. Eto'o needs to play with another striker up top so he can make his cutting runs, he's not built to stand with his back to goal and pretend to be Didier. He and Ba would work really well with Ba holding up the ball and Eto'o slashing past him. Torres has had his lion share of chances, I say let Eto'o get another run out there but in tandem with Ba.

Bad, bad idea! Have you seen the 2 against Stoke in the second half? They were so pathetic that it hurt, and it probably won't happen again.

Some of you might say, have faith in the team. Then, the others are skeptical about the result.

Personally, I am tired of the front-line´s inability to score, so is Jose & all of you here.

How can Jose play an attacking football if these so called strikers cannot score one goal out of 3-4 chances in every game ?

Jose is even too soft on them in the media. He says, " they give what they can. "

All 3 of them are nothing but a disgrace in Chelsea´s shirt, I feel.

If nothing is done here soon, this team might as well say bye-bye to the PL title.

Today, I even read some story as follow:

Imagine the Shrek in the Chelsea team. They would be 10 points clear at the top of the table, title in the bag.

Right on here, I feel.