Ray Wilkins hits out at attitude of young players

Stats

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/8913231/ray-wilkins-hits-out-at-attitude-of-young-players

Thought Wilkins was bang on with this. Think this will provide an interesting topic discussion. Interesting that he mentioned the likes of Chalobah and McEachran. I think it is a bit harsh on Nat because he keeps on progressing. Was almost part of a promotion winning team last season and produced moments of quality but giving him around £30k per week while not even playing a professional game for us is a sign to a player that they have already made it. I am not saying Chalobah will turn out like this but this is what the message sends out by giving him such a big contract.

I do think Wilkins is right about Josh though. He has not really pushed on. I remember when he was excellent in the youth team and broke through to the first team quite quickly around the age of 17 he was then. He was regarded as an exceptional talent then and even at the age of 17 made premiership cameos against the likes of Man City and Aston Villa and even played a full CL game against Marseille IIRC. 3 years on and he has not pushed on at all. At the time of around 17/18 years old he was on just over £2k a week from what I have read but after being rewarded with a big contract around £35k a week, just seems to have got to him a little. When he was 17/18 you saw a kid who was showing that he can make the cut here and many people around the club were excited at the talent we had but now his future is in limbo. Had a loan last season where for most of it he was a regular, was playing well at first but then gradually his performances started to stall from what I have heard and was even pushed out of his natural position sometimes to then being relegated to the bench. I just feel that if we did like Wilkins recommended other clubs do by rewarding players with contracts that reflected performance related contracts instead of high wages to make sure the player stays, maybe players like Josh would of pushed on a bit more.

He also has proof to back it up. As he mentioned with the Ferguson point. He has a much tougher stance on his younger players. He has brought many players through and this is done through dedication. I give Cleverley as an example. A good player now and regular in the United team. When he was around 17/18 he was not given the sort of hype that Josh was but hard work has got him where he is and now he has made his position in the team firm, he is rewarded with a deserving contract which I think is the way to follow and there are several other players he has developed who have gone on to represent England.

I read the stories of RLC and what he will be earning a year despite not even playing a game for us and I think it is crazy. He does look like a real gem but I hope this contract he has been offered does not get to him because it happens far too often but I think it is crazy if he is getting the reported wages he will be on then a few years down the line he might not of even developed as much as we thought he would of. Similar with Sterling but maybe a bit harsh as I guess you can blame it on fatigue but lasts season when he broke through he ripped the PL by storm and was on around £2500 a week and after his performances he was awarded with a lucrative £30k per week contract and some Liverpool fans believe this has caused him to become far too big-headed and think it was a link with his dip in form. Just look at the players who Germany, Spain and Holland develop. There is a link. The young players have a much bigger drive and are not offered all the lucrative wages compared with the English players.

I will give another example. Ravel Morrison of West Ham and formerly of United. He has improved now from what I have heard however when he was at United, was regarded as someone who would go on to replace Scholes. I remember watching him for United in the youth cup and thought he was exceptional and United wanted to reward him with a contract. But what was his main agenda I guess, money? Probably. Anyone with even better ability than him in Germany or Spain would have accepted his wages and kicked on.

Just look at Ronaldo. Is naturally gifted but did not rest on his laurels and pushed for more and since then has added much more goals and is arguably the best player in the world now.

Would like people to give their opinions on this but I think Wilkins was bang on.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At Chelsea, we gave debuts to Chalobah and McEachran, but have they pushed on? No, they haven't. Do these lads have the desire to be world-class footballers?

Unless Wilkins classes being an unused sub as making your debut, then Chalobah did not make his debut when he was at Chelsea.

Unless Wilkins classes being an unused sub as making your debut, then Chalobah did not make his debut when he was at Chelsea.

Yes, unsure why he mentioned Chalobah. He never has actually played an official game for us bar friendlies and is only 18 and doing well.

Yes, unsure why he mentioned Chalobah. He never has actually played an official game for us bar friendlies and is only 18 and doing well.

Just what i thought, he was part of a youth cup winning team and has had a hugely successful loan at a promotion chasing club at his 17/18 years old season. Wilkins is talking utter shit about Nathaniel.

I do agree with what he said in general however, on talent alone McEachran can easily be one of the best players in the Premier League he really can, he needs to bulk up a bit and show more drive and commitment, he disappears in games far, far to easily and is doesn't have great fitness, hench why he often gets hauled off in matches.

I will give another example. Ravel Morrison of West Ham and formerly of United. He has improved now from what I have heard however when he was at United, was regarded as someone who would go on to replace Scholes. I remember watching him for United in the youth cup and thought he was exceptional and United wanted to reward him with a contract. But what was his main agenda I guess, money? Probably. Anyone with even better ability than him in Germany or Spain would have accepted his wages and kicked on.

Just read through your whole piece and i thought inclined to comment on this, from what i heard he had a bit of an attitude problem, in other words Fergie the supposed youth genius gave up on him to easy.

I have to object Butch at this point. Everywhere you see young players giving their all to become pros. There are players who get too much money early on and are sated with their trophy girl and bi gcar and don't push on, but this is a case of selective perception. Because of the vast media coverage we see those exceptions as the rule. One has to agree many young lads get too much too early without having proven their ability on the highest level but the level of football and the enormous pressure force the clubs to pay them so much. Nonetheless, regardless of money the competition is so strong when one guy fall out of the line and neglects his work because of a lack of attitude there a 100s to take his place.

I have to object Butch at this point. Everywhere you see young players giving their all to become pros. There are players who get too much money early on and are sated with their trophy girl and bi gcar and don't push on, but this is a case of selective perception. Because of the vast media coverage we see those exceptions as the rule. One has to agree many young lads get too much too early without having proven their ability on the highest level but the level of football and the enormous pressure force the clubs to pay them so much. Nonetheless, regardless of money the competition is so strong when one guy fall out of the line and neglects his work because of a lack of attitude there a 100s to take his place.

the trouble as I see it is ,,,,too many think they are the real deal when they are just setting out. Wilkins was our Captain at 17 or 18 and he was GREAT..

There's a lot of complication's when it comes to blooding young players these days, unless they are a freak of nature like Rooney or Fabregas they need to be carefully nurtured or damage could be done.

Take Scott Carson for example, back in 2007 he was the next big English goalkeeper, got thrown in against Croatia thinking he can handle it and boom, made a mistake and since his career went downhill and is now a championship goalkeeper. One game pretty much turned a young prospect's career upside down.

The mental side of football is often underestimated by supporters, manager luckily are more wise to it.

I agree with him on not giving big contracts to young players...you're talking about 17-18 yr olds earning as much as top flight senior players...it could affect their motivation to strive for greater heights.

From what I have read, Chalobah and McEachran are earning more than Lewandowski and probably most of the entire Dortmund team was earning last season. Totally crazy if you ask me.

Of course. This fact has been stated a lot of times when discussing why English youngsters aren't reaching the heights that they should be*

However the problem that's now emerged is that because all the clubs are offering these big-money-contracts, everyone's having to do the same because otherwise you lose that talent. So unless every club decides to cap young salaries, you can finally get some control.. But that's not going to happen.

*not just limited to English youngsters anymore. English clubs are giving foreign youngsters lucrative contracts now.

Of course. This fact has been stated a lot of times when discussing why English youngsters aren't reaching the heights that they should be*

However the problem that's now emerged is that because all the clubs are offering these big-money-contracts, everyone's having to do the same because otherwise you lose that talent. So unless every club decides to cap young salaries, you can finally get some control.. But that's not going to happen.

*not just limited to English youngsters anymore. English clubs are giving foreign youngsters lucrative contracts now.

But you have to admit that we are "leaders" when it comes to this issue and not followers.

But you have to admit that we are "leaders" when it comes to this issue and not followers.

I mean it's very hard to break that down.. On the face of it, it wouldn't be hard to argue. But we don't really have access to the figures of what Academy players are being paid, and I have a gut instinct that Man United were actually bigger financiers. The thing about that is, even if it were true, SAF would've made sure they stayed level headed despite those wages.

If we're talking about Chelsea alone, then we're disgraceful to be honest. I think it started with Sturridge, when it got really bad, because as soon as we signed him from City I heard we put him on something like £40,000/week*. So if Sturridge started the trend, it was only going to get worse with the players who showed more potential that we had to desperately keep.. Like Nat & McEachran.

We can only hope that now Mourinho, Holland & Newton have enough power and influence over these guys that they can keep them level headed and under control. But even then.. Nat & Josh could both out on loan, so now Chelsea has an obligation to continue to keep an eye on them at these locations. Especially if they go abroad.

Out of interest, on this issue, does anyone remember Manchester City's youngster Michael Johnson? If you do, or don't, take a minute to read his story. http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/david-bolt/2013/01/21/the-sad-story-of-michael-johnson/

*Can't verify this though.

What if he mentioned Chalobah to try and push him even harder? Maybe Wilkins just wants him to achieve his full potential.

Well I assume that was the point of his tirade, not just to Nat but to all the youngsters coming through the ranks of England.