Ray Wilkins hits out at attitude of young players

Stats

Of course. This fact has been stated a lot of times when discussing why English youngsters aren't reaching the heights that they should be*

However the problem that's now emerged is that because all the clubs are offering these big-money-contracts, everyone's having to do the same because otherwise you lose that talent. So unless every club decides to cap young salaries, you can finally get some control.. But that's not going to happen.

*not just limited to English youngsters anymore. English clubs are giving foreign youngsters lucrative contracts now.

The problems in football are mirroring the problems in society. A handful of clubs do 95% of all the spending and get all the talent and even that is not enough because they also have to compete for all the young players. We are as guilty as any other club in the world for both of these. I think one of biggest problems with developing talent is the loan policy which allows top clubs to buy and keep infinite young talent without ever committing to them and maybe never really giving them a chance. I've never understood why you couldn't make a maximum number of loans per team which would be vastly better for football overall. It would allow young talent to end up on Premier League teams that actually play and develop them.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find myself agreeing with Ray Wilkins 100%, also regarding Chalobah. They seem to spend more time updating their social media accounts, visiting the hairdresser or a mall rather than focusing on what's important. When was the last time a youngster made it in Chelsea? Only one is John Terry. Other's have failed miserably, especially the England lads. Thank god there is this country called Belgium that has been spoon feding us with the best talent there is at the moment. I'm most excited about Courtois, he seems to have that mental edge over every other youngsters. In that sense I don't hold high hopes for Josh nor Chalobah, they might think they've made it but that's far from the truth, isn't it?

I find myself agreeing with Ray Wilkins 100%, also regarding Chalobah. They seem to spend more time updating their social media accounts, visiting the hairdresser or a mall rather than focusing on what's important. When was the last time a youngster made it in Chelsea? Only one is John Terry. Other's have failed miserably, especially the England lads. Thank god there is this country called Belgium that has been spoon feding us with the best talent there is at the moment. I'm most excited about Courtois, he seems to have that mental edge over every other youngsters. In that sense I don't hold high hopes for Josh nor Chalobah, they might think they've made it but that's far from the truth, isn't it?

Chalobah's only 18. You're being extremely harsh on him, he's definitely got his head in the right place and has the right mentality. He's already had successful loan last year in the Championship where he was one of the best players - this at age 17. He hasn't even made an official first team appearance yet.

Mourinho said himself he really likes the kid and that he thinks he'll be ready for the squad next year. Saying that he's not serious because spends a lot of time on social media (which isn't really true to begin with) is a bit misguided IMO.

I agree with Butch over Josh though.

Nat will make it. He has the right attitude.

Josh probably won't and the reason is he's basically too soft. I was going to call him a pussy, but that's unfair. He's a nice kid, but he's from a comfortable background. Lamps had that too but he worked his bollocks off despite his famous name.

Drive and hunger can't be taught by clubs and we have a problem with that in this country. We have fat lazy kids. Look at people like David Luiz. Not the most technically gifted player but has more heart than some teams and that's why he is who he is.

Josh has talent but he's pea-hearted.

Josh probably won't and the reason is he's basically too soft. I was going to call him a pussy, but that's unfair. He's a nice kid, but he's from a comfortable background. Lamps had that too but he worked his bollocks off despite his famous name.

Drive and hunger can't be taught by clubs and we have a problem with that in this country. We have fat lazy kids. Look at people like David Luiz. Not the most technically gifted player but has more heart than some teams and that's why he is who he is.

Josh should leave Chelsea for a smaller club like Shelvey left Liverpool for Swansea.

At least as a lower level club, Josh would have the chance to compete for a first team place...whilst at Chelsea, he's no-where near the first team.

Josh should leave Chelsea for a smaller club like Shelvey left Liverpool for Swansea.

At least as a lower level club, Josh would have the chance to compete for a first team place...whilst at Chelsea, he's no-where near the first team.

Sadly, that will probably end up happening.

100% correct ...talent really can't make up for lack of commitment...its a pity but I think josh is lacking in the determination factor

This. I would like to see that happen. Earn less, and work hard to achieve something better. He will get the hunger in him again.

how is david luiz not technically gifted????? for a centre back his technical ability is superb

how is david luiz not technically gifted????? for a centre back his technical ability is superb

I said he wasn't the most technically gifted - He isn't Kaka or Ronaldo, but he's made the most of his skills with dedication and hard work.

Josh seems to be almost the complete opposite.

That's probably because he's a centre back. He's one of the most technically gifted defenders in the world.

defenders rarely earn the highest recognition ...its almost always strikers and AMs...but then our sport isnt blessed with the level of pundits as in Cricket ,Rugby and Golf..

listen tonight and you will hear the same old cliches wheeled out

Yeah right. Never give the youngsters a chance and then point fingers when they eventually become disillusioned. I wish Wilkins just buys some small hut in a village and retires there forever so I don't have to hear of his stupidity again.

I think this is because they get so much money and famous at a age where they are not smart enough to make adjustment.... you look in Hollywood and in American music, the young people that become stars, they always get problems... it is not just football. They get surrounded by people they think are friends, but really these people are like the vulture, they will look at the young rich person and see that he is easy to cheat and fool. Or else they become very arrogant and think that they have done enough already... I think when you become like this so young, the amibiton, it is not there anymore. If you have 5 million already when you are 20, that is enough for life.

I said he wasn't the most technically gifted - He isn't Kaka or Ronaldo, but he's made the most of his skills with dedication and hard work.

Josh seems to be almost the complete opposite.

Well, DAvid Luiz is probably the worst example ever for a "not that technically gifted" player. Ramires would be the epitome of hard-working player, who compensates a lack of technique with immense workrate. His stamina is a product to endless hours of tireless running.

Whatever. We can't look into people's minds. Maybe Josh really wants to cut it but just can't transport his ambition to the pitch. Everyone has patterns set up by habits, social environment etc. It is hard to break out of them, you can' transform yourself into another person over night. there can always be private problems & shit that inhibit.Those wholesale arguments "waaa they haven't the right attitude" is just way off and does not do justice to many of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're being a bit harsh on him. He's young and enjoying the limelight that Chelsea gives, but there's no denying his ability on the pitch. He's number 25 on this list of emerging talent and I think that's a fair reflection of his potential.