Man United v Chelsea

Jase

@JayC, Would you like to do opposition views for us?

Btw, you're kidding yourself if you think De Gea is better than Cech. Although, tbf, the only time I've seen him put in genuine world-class performances is against us. And Cleverly as good as Ramires? Come on.

Well I honestly think Cleverley is slightly underrated, if you check his passing accuracy, it's good for a CM. However he does lack creativity, yeah. Ramires is pretty normal too, nothing special about him really. It's close.

Like I said too, De Gea won the league and was voted in TOTS - I can't really argue with that.

And yeah I can have a go at the questions, sure.

Don't particularly agree with your player ratings, but I see your point. We shouldn't be underestimating United, afterall they are champions. But I think we have a slightly better team this year, however most of our players are not proven yet.

Cech is better than De Gea.

While I don't think Terry should be a starter, I don't think Rio should of been anyway near the team of the year. End of.

Cole and Evra, don't agree either.

Ramires and Cleverly tie? Nah.

While I do concede that Zaha has a much higher ceiling than Moses, I believe Moses could contribute more as of now.

Fair comments. It can be argued either way what you've questioned.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway.... *The Champions* are about to send out an unstoppable warning - fear us; I predict a wake up call for you all. We are the champions, and we will show you why on Monday.

I so hope that your manager feels the same way and fields an attacking line up with his team taking the game to the opposition but sadly i feel Moyes will do the opposite!

I had to tip De Gea after last season. I rate Cech highly. I do however think Cleverley is as good as Ramires.

Hey, I don't mean to annoy any of you. Say if you feel I've got it wrong. My player judgement is not perfect.

My argument is simply - your squad is not better than ours. I should have made that clear.

NO WAY. the only thing u are actually better than us is in the striker department and that too by more than a mile, which compensates for your midfield.

i mean if chelsea had been struggling for the 1st 30 odd minutes against swansea the way united did, we would have definitely lost the match because we no longer possess a striker who can produce a moment of magic and turn the match on its head. and that is exactly what RVP did against swansea. he bailed u out, big time.

as for the rest of the squad, our GK is better and one of the best in world.

our RBs and LBs are better than yours though the CB pairing is not, infact we dont even know what our best CB pairing is like united's is vidic-ferdinand.

both the team's deep-mid or pivot is on the same level. but if u think ramires is "nothin more than a SQUAD PLAYER", than u dont know anything about chelsea AT ALL.

we take the cake, the baker and the bakery when it comes down to the attacking mid-fielders/wingers. also the fact that u dont even inculde KDB (or rather think that he is a CDM) in your analysis tells me u dont know the chelsea squad. he is going to be a really important player for us this season and u ll know how good he is on monday.

strikers - i dont wanna talk about because we are hopelessly lacking in that field.

manager - we have the best in the world.

as for the match, its going to be a rude awakening for "the champions" as you put it. in your analysis (your first post) u expect moyes to deploy the same tactics of sitting back, let us do the passing and then counter. i think that would be playing into our hands. i think u have forgotten the 2 2-0 leads you squandered last season was when u thought u had done enough, sat back and let us get into the game. i expect united to try and squeeze us higher up the pitch, give no space to the 3 behind the striker and try and put our pivot under question.

My prediction;

Manchester United (2) vs (1) Chelsea
(v.Persie) (D.Welbeck) - - - (E.Hazard)
-------------------------------------------------
Probable team; 4-3-3/4-5-1
======================
De Gea
Smalling - Rio - Vida© - Evra
Carrick
Jones------Giggs
Valencia ------------------Welbeck
- v.Persie -
---------------------------------------------------
Don't expect to see an overly attacking team strategy for this game. We know your central-midfield is stronger than ours. Moyes will look to pack it a bit I thnk, so it isn't easy to keep the ball there. Or just limit Hazard and Mata's options, and space. Although possession isn't so crucial to be honest - as it worked allowing Swansea the ball and to pass it around until they advanced... then they were shut down. They're a good passing team and they had little joy. Moyes is defensively well organised. Still early days, but there are signs. We looked very solid last game. This is what we will see. A much better Manchester United defensively. We'll retain our forward players/play, and be harder to score past. Whilst Fergies' style was very exciting, it was always nail-biting stuff. I think Moyes will shake this off, and have us defend really well. He does seem to be applying the pressing as I hoped- but not overly, for our players legs.
This team is basically a 4-5-1 defending, with players that will work hard. Welbeck and Valencia drop back into the holes on the flanks when defending - equaling the 4-5-1. At the same time the team has so much pace down the wings. Perfect as Chelsea can be exploited at RB and LB in my opinion. Ivanovic never looks convincing but I'm pretty sure he'll play there since Mourniho said that's his place. Pretty sure of that anyway. Zaha could probably terrify Cole if he gets the chance....not to mention Nani. I don't think Chelsea have the fire-power to beat us. Furthermore, your central defense is weaker. Terry will have no answer to the pace. The depth of our bench would be pretty stupid for this game - Rooney, Kagawa, Nani, Hernandez, Zaha; Januzaj. That's not all of them, but you say you have a stronger team - looking at that bench, I'm not sure you do. We have Rafael out too, and are still able to put out a strong squad.
Lets do a basic sum up out of interest. I'll try and stick to the same position played for comparisons.
(Assuming 100% squad availibility)
GK; De Gea vs Cech 1-0 (Keeper of the season - it's close however)
RB; Rafael vs Ivanovic 1-0 (Getting close to the complete RB, and has been more impressive lately - and Iva is Out Of Position for me)
CB; Vidic vs Luiz 0-1 (This would be Vidic all day if it wasn't for recent injuries)
CB; Rio vs Terry 1-0 (Team of the year Rio....oh yeah)
LB; Evra vs Cole 1-1 (I'm being kind to Cole here after Evra's season - and you know it)
CDM; Carrick vs Mikel/De Bruyne (No point) 1-0
LCM/LF/CAM; Kagawa vs Hazard 0-1 (Hazard with the game time to prove himself)
CAM/SS; Rooney vs Oscar 1-0 (Last seasons contribution speaks for it's self)
CM; Cleverley vs Ramires 1-1 (Both are just good squad players)
RM; Valencia vs Mata 0-1 (Best comparison, since you generally don't use convential wingers)
CF; Welbeck vs Torres 1-1 (Welbeck is in form but it's up in the air)
ST; v.Persie vs Lukaku 1-0 (Why bother)
SUBS;
Nani vs Schurllee 1-1 (Nani is clearly better but his form is dreadful - hence the draw)
Hernandez vs Ba 1-0 (More goals - way more important key goals)
Anderson vs Lampard 0-1 (Anderson will be eating something somewhere - he won't care)
Smalling vs Cahill 1-1 (Whilst Smalling doesn't get that many run outs, he's certainly no worse than Cahill)
Zaha vs Moses - 1-0 (Zaha shown more in a couple of weeks than Moses in six months)
SCORE: United #13. Chelsea #9.
In my summation our squad is still better after no signings. Don't say I'm biased, those player scores are fair. I'm not going to say you couldn't make an argument somewhere but it's as fair as I can see. I think some of you vastly overrate your squad. You would fall apart without Mata and Hazard. We motor on with nobody with any world-class creativity from centre-attacking-midfield. We can easily replace any of our team members with the exception of Robin and not really be weakened. You cannot - and with those striking options I'd settle for third. Not even Jose Mourniho can make Fernando Torres play well. As for Demba Ba - we all know his priority was the money. Which leaves you Lukaku; excellent striker but needs to play every game to make the progress, and I don't know if he's going to get them games. Mourinho is desperate for some world-class attacking goal scorer. He's worried, and rightly so.
Anyway.... *The Champions* are about to send out an unstoppable warning - fear us; I predict a wake up call for you all. We are the champions, and we will show you why on Monday.

Personally, I am very impressed by your posting. However, I still can not find your previous scores between these two teams though. If I remember correctly, Chelsea blanked your manures not too long ago.

So, I assume it just might be the same.

As for your analyses of Chelsea, I would rather if you look at your team, instead & then tell us what´s so good about them.

Well I honestly think Cleverley is slightly underrated, if you check his passing accuracy, it's good for a CM. However he does lack creativity, yeah. Ramires is pretty normal too, nothing special about him really. It's close.

Like I said too, De Gea won the league and was voted in TOTS - I can't really argue with that.

And yeah I can have a go at the questions, sure.

Ramires' pace and runs and his ability to finish make him pretty special. His goals in big games made him on of the highest rated midfielders in 2012.

As for De Gea, he was voted into the team of the year in the season when he was benched for two months because of his bad performances..allow me to disagree.

It's still a bit early for the opposition views, I'll send you the questions in a couple of days. Thanks :yes:

I had to tip De Gea after last season. I rate Cech highly. I do however think Cleverley is as good as Ramires.

I don't think Cleverly is an average as people like to make out, but Ramires is unbelievable and looks to be getting even better under Jose. De Gea is going to be a great keeper is he isn't already, but he needs more than a appearance in team of the season to reach Cech's heights.

NO WAY. the only thing u are actually better than us is in the striker department and that too by more than a mile, which compensates for your midfield.

i mean if chelsea had been struggling for the 1st 30 odd minutes against swansea the way united did, we would have definitely lost the match because we no longer possess a striker who can produce a moment of magic and turn the match on its head. and that is exactly what RVP did against swansea. he bailed u out, big time.

as for the rest of the squad, our GK is better and one of the best in world.

our RBs and LBs are better than yours though the CB pairing is not, infact we dont even know what our best CB pairing is like united's is vidic-ferdinand.

both the team's deep-mid or pivot is on the same level. but if u think ramires is "nothin more than a SQUAD PLAYER", than u dont know anything about chelsea AT ALL.

we take the cake, the baker and the bakery when it comes down to the attacking mid-fielders/wingers. also the fact that u dont even inculde KDB (or rather think that he is a CDM) in your analysis tells me u dont know the chelsea squad. he is going to be a really important player for us this season and u ll know how good he is on monday.

strikers - i dont wanna talk about because we are hopelessly lacking in that field.

manager - we have the best in the world.

as for the match, its going to be a rude awakening for "the champions" as you put it. in your analysis (your first post) u expect moyes to deploy the same tactics of sitting back, let us do the passing and then counter. i think that would be playing into our hands. i think u have forgotten the 2 2-0 leads you squandered last season was when u thought u had done enough, sat back and let us get into the game. i expect united to try and squeeze us higher up the pitch, give no space to the 3 behind the striker and try and put our pivot under question.

We were not struggling, we were content to allow them possession in non-threatening positions, and wait for a break. We take our chances usually - that is the difference. It wasn't always RvP who bailed us out last season - Rafa and Evra scored a few crucial goals as did Evans, and Hernandez.
By the way I watch Chelsea on a regular basis, and I come to the conclusion Ramires is nothing special I'm afraid. Don't take it personally - as you can see I rate a lot of your players. You are correct in the assumption I do not know KDB - I can't know everything, but I know the vast majority, and I'm more than knowledgeable enough on Chelsea to comment.
I may have got a few things wrong, but I don't think you had to go to the: "you don't even know the team" thing. It's just a way to dismiss my opinion - but is really totally ignorant and an easy way out. However, I don't mind. I was 99% on the ball, except for some difference in opinion on Cech and Cleverley - and to be honest that is a matter of personal thinking. Well it all is... but I think there is some you really can't argue.
As for my tactics I'm obviously guessing, he will probably do something nobody expects. I do think to win the game though one thing is a certainty we can't allow you the midfield and passing space. The ideal way is what I said - deploy attackers with work-rate, and good defensive understanding. But let's wait and see....

We were not struggling, we were content to allow them possession in non-threatening positions, and wait for a break. We take our chances usually - that is the difference. It wasn't always RvP who bailed us out last season - Rafa and Evra scored a few crucial goals as did Evans, and Hernandez.
By the way I watch Chelsea on a regular basis, and I come to the conclusion Ramires is nothing special I'm afraid. Don't take it personally - as you can see I rate a lot of your players. You are correct in the assumption I do not know KDB - I can't know everything, but I know the vast majority, and I'm more than knowledgeable enough on Chelsea to comment.
I may have got a few things wrong, but I don't think you had to go to the: "you don't even know the team" thing. It's just a way to dismiss my opinion - but is really totally ignorant and an easy way out. However, I don't mind. I was 99% on the ball, except for some difference in opinion on Cech and Cleverley - and to be honest that is a matter of personal thinking. Well it all is... but I think there is some you really can't argue.
As for my tactics I'm obviously guessing, he will probably do something nobody expects. I do think to win the game though one thing is a certainty we can't allow you the midfield and passing space. The ideal way is what I said - deploy attackers with work-rate, and good defensive understanding. But let's wait and see....

i seriously felt that united were being over-run in the mid against swansea. they were proving (and they really are) a handful to handle. as for rvp - i dont think any single player could have had more influence on a team's whole season as he did. be it your FA cup match against west ham or the numerous matches where u went a goal or 2down and rvp brought u back. the rest of the squad did play their role and chipped in but i am sure that if u add all the goals from the players u named would still be less than rvp's league goals. that was the limit of his influence on united last season.

i am sorry if u felt i was being harsh on u, but u called rambo a "squad player". he would be the 1st name on the team sheet right now (or maybe 2nd after cech). i seriously dont think any1 here can even fathom us playing this match or for that matter any big match this season without rambo in our pivot. the thread itself would be proof enough. i can bet u than none of the proposed team line-ups by any of the posters would be lacking rambo. also i feel u are under-rating ramires BIG TIME (which is surprising since he has done exceptionally well against united, scored a lot of goals against them and dont forget the tackle on rooney to dispossess him which led to the goal at OT). his importance to chelsea right now is as much as mata/hazard. his running, pace, finishing, tackling and most importantly his immense workrate and the sheer will to try and win any and every ball (be it united or pre-season) makes him very very very special. and mark my words "HE IS GOING TO BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TEAMS". he will win it for us.

i seriously felt that united were being over-run in the mid against swansea. they were proving (and they really are) a handful to handle. as for rvp - i dont think any single player could have had more influence on a team's whole season as he did. be it your FA cup match against west ham or the numerous matches where u went a goal or 2down and rvp brought u back. the rest of the squad did play their role and chipped in but i am sure that if u add all the goals from the players u named would still be less than rvp's league goals. that was the limit of his influence on united last season.

i am sorry if u felt i was being harsh on u, but u called rambo a "squad player". he would be the 1st name on the team sheet right now (or maybe 2nd after cech). i seriously dont think any1 here can even fathom us playing this match or for that matter any big match this season without rambo in our pivot. the thread itself would be proof enough. i can bet u than none of the proposed team line-ups by any of the posters would be lacking rambo. also i feel u are under-rating ramires BIG TIME (which is surprising since he has done exceptionally well against united, scored a lot of goals against them and dont forget the tackle on rooney to dispossess him which led to the goal at OT). his importance to chelsea right now is as much as mata/hazard. his running, pace, finishing, tackling and most importantly his immense workrate and the sheer will to try and win any and every ball (be it united or pre-season) makes him very very very special. and mark my words "HE IS GOING TO BE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TEAMS". he will win it for us.

Well in my opinion it was the right decision to take up a static defensive formation and sit until they went for our goal. It means we didn't commit people out of position and chasing an effective passing team doesn't work unless you go all out. They had more of the ball, but it did nothing for them. They were basically nullified in the final third. They had shots, quite a few, but clear cut ones, I don't remember many, if any.

And don't worry about it, no hard feelings. Maybe I need to watch Ramires more carefully.

I think underestimating ManUtd just because SAF left is a capital mistake that could be other teams' downfall. But we can't deny the transition weakens the side.

I agree about some of JayC ratings - others I disagree completely. Bias is not something we have total control over. Sometimes we know we're being biased, but many other we're convinced that something is true - not only our opinion - because of many facts related to that situation.

So it's only natural we are biased about some of our players the same way JC was biased about some of ManUtd's players both without noticing. Every fan overrates a player or other based on their perception and moments that player granted us - moments we cherish.

I'm no ManUtd expert as I try to avoid watching their matches but I've watched my share of them last year against Chelsea, RM and a few others occasions, so I may be wrong, but there's no way imo de Gea is already better than Cech and I think Cleverley vs Ramires also doesn't make much sense, but it's debatable, I'll give Jay that. Still Ramires is more creative imo, has about the same quality passing (he improved a lot this season on that) and they're also equivalent defending. Ramires is also faster imo and more versatile. Also I don't think Lamps will start and with either Essien or Mikel (I don't see Marco starting or even playing) Ramires won't be the deepest DM, that would be either Essien or Mikel.

The thing is they have van Persie and that makes a whole difference. We have to play in a way we don't offer him space, double the marking over him if we must. I'm not sure Moyes will have an attacking team against us. I think he'll gamble with a more defensive formation counting on Robin to get things done for them.

He knows our attacking midfield is much better and it's quite dangerous. He will try to look at what Villa did well (and that was jam-traffic the midfield, especially the center) that caused us to play so poorly compared to our first half against Hull. I hope he fails to take into consideration the problem was us mainly, not something Villa created to us.

Mata was out of shape and Lampard was too tired to make his legs obey his brain.

Mourinho admitted on his presser he may have made a mistake starting with only two fresh players and thanks to squad depth we have more fresh players to start Monday. Such as Kevin, Essien/Mikel and Torres (ugh). That's one fresh man in each zone and if he feels like he needs to rest someone in our defense and somehow Luiz isn't the new blood coming in, he could rest Ivan and bring Azpili or he could rest Cahill or Terry, move Ivan over and start with Azpili. I know he said he sees Ivan as a RB, it doesn't mean he will never play as a CB under Mou.

I'll gamble a win for us because I think Mourinho has something special waiting for Moyes and although Moyes is experienced and a fair decent manager, he's not even close the tactician José is. Of course José could make a mistake and go with the wrong tactics. But if they both pick the best tactics, I believe José has the advantage.

I don't even doubt Moyes won't play 3 CB's to be honest. I think he might do it.

I really like this

--------------Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Ramires - Essien(lampard)

KDB(mata) - Oscar - Hazard

--------Torres(Lukaku)

Another possibility:

---------------Cech

Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole

----Ramires - KDB(Lampard)

Schurrle(Mata) - Oscar - Hazard

-----------Lukaku(Torres)

I think underestimating ManUtd just because SAF left is a capital mistake that could be other teams' downfall. But we can't deny the transition weakens the side.

I agree about some of JayC ratings - others I disagree completely. Bias is not something we have total control over. Sometimes we know we're being biased, but many other we're convinced that something is true - not only our opinion - because of many facts related to that situation.

So it's only natural we are biased about some of our players the same way JC was biased about some of ManUtd's players both without noticing. Every fan overrates a player or other based on their perception and moments that player granted us - moments we cherish.

I'm no ManUtd expert as I try to avoid watching their matches but I've watched my share of them last year against Chelsea, RM and a few others occasions, so I may be wrong, but there's no way imo de Gea is already better than Cech and I think Cleverley vs Ramires also doesn't make much sense, but it's debatable, I'll give Jay that. Still Ramires is more creative imo, has about the same quality passing (he improved a lot this season on that) and they're also equivalent defending. Ramires is also faster imo and more versatile. Also I don't think Lamps will start and with either Essien or Mikel (I don't see Marco starting or even playing) Ramires won't be the deepest DM, that would be either Essien or Mikel.

The thing is they have van Persie and that makes a whole difference. We have to play in a way we don't offer him space, double the marking over him if we must. I'm not sure Moyes will have an attacking team against us. I think he'll gamble with a more defensive formation counting on Robin to get things done for them.

He knows our attacking midfield is much better and it's quite dangerous. He will try to look at what Villa did well (and that was jam-traffic the midfield, especially the center) that caused us to play so poorly compared to our first half against Hull. I hope he fails to take into consideration the problem was us mainly, not something Villa created to us.

Mata was out of shape and Lampard was too tired to make his legs obey his brain.

Mourinho admitted on his presser he may have made a mistake starting with only two fresh players and thanks to squad depth we have more fresh players to start Monday. Such as Kevin, Essien/Mikel and Torres (ugh). That's one fresh man in each zone and if he feels like he needs to rest someone in our defense and somehow Luiz isn't the new blood coming in, he could rest Ivan and bring Azpili or he could rest Cahill or Terry, move Ivan over and start with Azpili. I know he said he sees Ivan as a RB, it doesn't mean he will never play as a CB under Mou.

I'll gamble a win for us because I think Mourinho has something special waiting for Moyes and although Moyes is experienced and a fair decent manager, he's not even close the tactician José is. Of course José could make a mistake and go with the wrong tactics. But if they both pick the best tactics, I believe José has the advantage.

I don't even doubt Moyes won't play 3 CB's to be honest. I think he might do it.

I rate players on current/recent form. A year ago is no use to me. De Gea was a monster last season, and single handedly saved many points for us with his keeping. He was in a title winning team and contributed so much near the end of the season he was voted the best, by players. The overall ability of both is probably close, however De Gea is on better form - so he gets the nod from me. I can understand why you'd be aggrieved a bit - Cech is a consistent faultless keeper 99% of the time, no doubt. Like I said though Dave is the man at the minute. You have to remeber these saves are real difference makers - with this comes pressure and the fear of letting the team down. At such a young age, it's really something. I'll say again though - it's super close.
Ramires and Cleverley makes perfect sense. Ramires is not a DM in my mind - he is noted as a DM, but I honestly find him more of a CM. He's at least not a convential DM. He's far too mobile in the middle, and with runs. I think you start with two players in that position marked DM but one of them always has freedom to move forward pretty much at will. His passing as you say is good, and it's like a CM playing a DM role, but yeah I can see why you think it doesn't make sense to compare them. To be honest I was never going to find perfect matches for everyone anyway.... look who I had to compare Mata with. It's far from perfect. It was a basic idea - and it created some discussion, which is better than everyone stating the obvious.
Besides I don't pretend to be perfect. You can all learn me bits and pieces, as I comment. See it as education. Usually if I get something wrong I can accept it easily, and move on. For example checking Ramires' position again on who scored, it is DM - however his positional play throughout the game suggests something completely different... He plays with Hazard and Oscar who won't really want to be in CM if they can help it, they'd rather be somewhere inbetween - so I think Ramires is pretty much a box to box CM. Some comparisons can be drawn. Cleverley doesn't live up to defensive duties but he can pass.... When comparing two trequartistas, you don't need them to be identical - other than having the main thing = creativity. Hence both Ramires and Cleverley are adept at passing, keeping the ball and making decent support runs. They both roam, so I think I can justify a comparison. Just. ;p
Anyways, I rambled on a bit then. You're right though I guess some under-lying biased views are in everyones make-up. I try my best to rid them from my thinking, but who knows.
I honestly think Moyes is going to silence all the doubters though - it's almost written in the stars.
- "What do you need to prove you're the man, David? Oh.. how about back to back to back ridiculous fixtures for the coming season?"
- "Consider it done. I'll just ring Jose, to ask which teams he'd like to choose" (;p)
One down - Swansea.
Three to go.........