Best Formation for current Chelsea Squad?

This season Chelsea used the 4-2-3-1 formation for almost all the matches. It really baffles me how we keep using a formation that makes 3 or 4 of our key players not as effective as they should be. I think the best formation for the current Chelsea Squad is probably the "Christmas Tree" 4-3-2-1

4-3-2-1.gif

Not only does it make Ramires and Lampard more effective we can also see if Oscar can play well in CM. He's done it with Brazil so he should do it with us. Mata will still be in his central role and we wouldn't have to use Oscar as a right winger. So what do you guys think?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just switch around some names. Take out Baines, add Shaw etc. Written a long time ago. Still stand by this (well, most of it.)

Wanna know how to sort some of our problems? Here you go:
We must switch to a 4-3-2-1.
Why? Well -
Mikel flourishes (heh) as a sole defensive midfielder. He clearly feels awkward playing with a partner. So he'd play deep in the midfield '3' much like in a 4-3-3.
Now Ramires can slot back into his best position, RCM, where he is bursting with energy and can run all over the pitch, doing as he pleases (within reason).
Lampard or whoever can take up a more stable and rooted position at LCM, doing both attacking and defensive work. But of course, my plan would be implemented next season, meaning there might not even be a Lampard! (De Bruyne, anyone?) Assuming we sign a deep-playmaker such as Benat who can also do defensive work, he'll slot into Mikel's role, Ramires remains, and then we need another player bursting with energy in the LCM role to protect Benat (or whoever). Again, De Bruyne could fill this role quite well while also adding another top-passer to the team.
So, that's the midfield sorted. (Well, in one way. There's so many options with a formation like this!!)
The '2' would of course be Hazard + Mata. However, instead of Hazard's current inverted winger role and Mata's advanced-attacking-midfielder role, they'd both act as inside forwards-come-playmakers behind the lone striker. This means both players are closer together, which will result in more 'magic' and interchanging in roles. They'd typically play slightly deeper than the position Mata currently occupies unless we're up against some minnows. I feel that if you're too close to the lone-striker you can't pick him out with as much precision. Both players pushing too far up with the striker would leave the 3 players behind them too exposed to long-balls.
So, you're probably thinking - "Are you CRAZY!? This formation would be too narrow! Who would track back!?". Ah, so naive.
With Hazard & Mata in more central roles, they'll still be able to drift out wide and create a standard 4-3-3 when needed. When the 4-3-2-1 is in place however, yes, we need width both for attacking and defending. A few seasons ago, Cole would be perfect for this. Now? Not so much. Do you know who is perfect however? Baines. He has the best crossing accuracy out of all players in the top 5 leagues this season, he tracks back well after attacking, can take set-pieces and is a reliable, solid option. On the right, Azpi can continue to grow and develop and hopefully become a permanent fixture there; marauding forward yet instilling defensive soundness. This would probably also suit Bertrand a bit more as he does like to (try) whipping in a decent cross when there's no-one ahead of him.
For the more cautious games where the team will line-up in a 4-3-3, it would make more sense to drop Mata completely (depending on the scenario), sticking Hazard out left and having Moses coming in on the right. (Yep, that's right. In this formation Mata won't be an untouchable!)
Ivanovic or Azpi can then go on the right for the full-back position.
This formation, with 3 deep players in midfield instead of the current 2 means the defense will be much more protected AND there'll be more close-by passing options. This means less running around for Terry and less need to maraud forward for Luiz!
As for the striker, we'd need someone who's not afraid to close down the opponents, otherwise they'll build up from the back and try to exploit the lack of width compared to other formations. Falcao is a big no-no. Cavani is a big yes-yes. Lukaku would also thrive in this set-up I feel.
This formation would be quite contrasting to what we've usually had. It's very much an attacking formation with (potentially) Baines, Azpi, Hazard, Mata & the striker all attacking while De Bruyne also likes to get forward a bit, as does Ramires. Discipline in roles would need to be restored so players don't get carried away.
Voila.
Note: If you ever saw Milan's 4-3-2-1, I believe Kaka and Seedorf were in the '2' roles I'm talking about. Kaka was a genuine goal-threat, often more-so than the striker. This is the role I'm expecting from Hazard while Mata would be in the more disciplined Seedorf role.

The problem with that is that it is just too narrow. You will have a very difficult time scoring against teams that set up to not lose and just pack the box with defenders like most weaker teams do when they come to the bridge.

This season Chelsea used the 4-2-3-1 formation for almost all the matches. It really baffles me how we keep using a formation that makes 3 or 4 of our key players not as effective as they should be. I think the best formation for the current Chelsea Squad is probably the "Christmas Tree" 4-3-2-1

4-3-2-1.gif

Not only does it make Ramires and Lampard more effective we can also see if Oscar can play well in CM. He's done it with Brazil so he should do it with us. Mata will still be in his central role and we wouldn't have to use Oscar as a right winger. So what do you guys think?

Wont work in England IMO now, because mainly now all oppositions use the 4-2-3-1 that for me counter very well this kind of very center-minded attacking formation.

If we attack with the center forward, the two offensive midfielders and one of the full backs will go up it wont be enough, and we'll probably end up losing possession right in the middle because the Hazard-Mata combinisation works perfectly when there is space, and since most of the teams play 4-2-3-1 a simple man marking will deduct our game and we'll most of the time have a sterile possession because our players will focus to give the ball to Mata-Hazard like they did this season.Defensively this formation is very good because the three center midfielders will provide cover and will perfectly counter the three attacking midfielders of the 4-2-3-1.Also we wont use Hazard's pace because he'll have to control the ball 90%, to turn, to dribble then to run.We'll lose some fluidity and also, we'll have less time to make the right movements.

If we attack with the center forward, the two offensive midfielders and one of the center Midfielders plus one of the full bakcs, it wont be enough too, because essentially the opposition will only have to block the striker by putting the two CB's on him so he wont hold the ball (Thinking of Cavani), and the two attacking midfielders with the two defensive midfielders of the opposition, we may break them with direct play, but it isnt as effective as to play more on the wings and to cut inside for Mata-Hazard, it will allow us to be more creative, we'll need to be very aggresive and technically very good to overcome that incredible amount of players with only four real attacking threats.Defensively we'll be very good and the counter-attacks will be controled, but for me it isnt enough.

If we attack with the center forward, the two offensive midfielders and two of the center Midfielders plus one of the full bakcs, we'll be defensively permeable and we'll suffer a lot from counters, because Hazard n Mata wont always track back, and Cole/Azpilicueta wont always win their duels against the Offensive Midfielders of the other team who'll only need to combine with the stiker to overcome the left backs or the CB's.

For me the 4-3-3 formation that we used under José in the first time is the key, because we'll attack with five and defend in counter with five if the left backs are quick enough, if the players can keep the balance and use their mind more often next season, we'll be title challengers.I could say a lot of things because it is much more complicated to talk about tactics, it depend of where area are we talking and against who, football cant always be played emotionally, but also cant always rely on tactics to overcome the opposition, for example the United-Madrid game were it was decided on red cards and individual achievements ( United perfectly countered Madrid, but it dint work for them because of circumstances) for me to win the title you must have that extra from your players at times, and to be disciplined and concentrated most of the season.

@Leif,

With Hazard & Mata in more central roles, they'll still be able to drift out wide and create a standard 4-3-3 when needed.

I dont think its that easy, they'll have to track back both and drift back which will create a big problem to the sole midfielder who cant go to this or this because he'll ask the question of "Hazard will be back there,so i'll go there, or Mata will go be back there, I should cover overthere" and it will creat a bit of a shake and if they reach the center forward we'll be in a big mess.To play that narrow in the attacking terms will affect our defensive shape.And there isnt better place to begin your attacks than wings, and since this formation need a hell lot of good-vision players and pace, it wont work.

If we want to play the Christmas tree formation, then we should bring back this fella...

Carlo_Ancelotti_769699a.jpg

He's like the only manager who actually plays the 4-3-2-1 formation.

While this formation has its weaknesses (every formation does) like the ones pointed above, it's worth remembering that we did have some success with it under Ancelotti.

4-3-2-1 won't work in the BPL. Lower teams will stack the MF against us and have a numerical advantage and our wide areas will be vulnerable as we won't proper wingers who will track back as Mata and Hazard will play as attacking midfielders in the formation.

I'd love to see us use 4-3-3 again at some point for a few reasons:

- formation has a better defensive shape than 4-2-3-1

- easier to create passing triangles in midfield and attack

- Suits some of our players better: Ramires will be able to play like he did under AVB as an explosive box to box MF player. Mikel would be better suited to 4-3-3 as well as he was under Carlo and Jose in the past. So would Romeu suit it better

4-3-2-1 won't work in the BPL. Lower teams will stack the MF against us and have a numerical advantage and our wide areas will be vulnerable as we won't proper wingers who will track back as Mata and Hazard will play as attacking midfielders in the formation.

I'd love to see us use 4-3-3 again at some point for a few reasons:

- formation is better defensively than 4-2-3-1

- easier to create passing triangles in midfield and attack

- Ramires will be able to play like he did under AVB as an explosive box to box MF player

- Mikel would be better suited to 4-3-3 as well as he was under Carlo and Jose in the past.

4-3-3 doesn't suit our best player.

4-3-3 doesn't suit our best player.

I assume your on about Mata and not Hazard who would probably excel as a LW in 4-3-3 tbh. Mata could perhaps play RW or LW like he did under AVB but I suppose he suits the central role better as he can have a greater effect on the game in central roles.

Tbh Mata did quite decent on the LW until AVB got sacked and really it wasn't until the start of this season that just finished that he played better as an CAM in comparison to LW under AVB. He didn't really stick out as much when Robbie was interim manager in the central role as he does now.

Whatevr formation we use, we should play atleast 2 striker. Even Ba has been crying bout that for far too long.

If we use 2 strikers we either lose a MF player or a defend and revert to 3 at the back. If we were to go 4-4-2 that means we'd be outnumbered in MF by most teams in the PL and I have concerns about us playing 3 at the back.

If we use 2 strikers we either lose a MF player or a defend and revert to 3 at the back. If we were to go 4-4-2 that means we'd be outnumbered in MF by most teams in the PL and I have concerns about us playing 3 at the back.

Mikel is fucking useless so well that doesn't count, we would have the same defence line. Hazard would drift wide, Oscar and Mata in the Middle and Hulk on the other side. Cavani and Torres or anyone you'd like would be leading the line.

Oscar would play as DLP, and Mata could be told to fucking stay in his line. YOU'RE NOT A SECOND STRIKER anymore.

Don't know about Hulk but Hazard has started to drop back recently and help in defense so hulk would need a little lecture from MOU.

OH AND Mata and Torres could change position whenever they want cause Mata has a shit tendency to go forward and Torres has to drop back lol.

PLUS ATTACK IS THE BEST DEFENSE.

I could aready see us winning the champions league :P

Whatevr formation we use, we should play atleast 2 striker. Even Ba has been crying bout that for far too long.

I'd love to see a 352 or variant a la Juventus and Conte, but not many teams in modern European football play with two strikers; the setup a three man defence is set up to counter.

Against teams playing with one striker (most, as there is a droolfest with 4231 right now) there is a three on one difference at the back. Good for shutting out the striker, not good because it concedes an extra, unnecessary spare man, giving the opposition a spare man elsewhere. So right there it's a no for me, as very few teams play with two outright strikers.

Added to this, is that the width in a system with three defenders normally comes from one wide player on each side, which means they have to be capable defensively. Sure this allows us to play with 2 wingers, a CAM, and 2 strikers, but if you look at the players Juve play in wide spots (Lichsteiner/Asamoah/De Ceglie) then you see that Hazard can't really occupy one of those spots if the system is going to be effective.

A four man defence then, and if we have two strikers then realistically that leaves us with a 442 or a 442 diamond. A flat 442 is dead, and a diamond, while better, doesn't make the best use of our wingers, nor does it make sense to select a formation that restricts the number of players we can play in attacking midfield positions, given the talent we have there.

I think it's a straight fight between 433 and 4231. Mourinho at Inter persuaded Eto'o and Pandev to play deep and work hard defensively in their 4231/4213 variant, and I think he could ask the same of Mata and Hazard, so flexibility between the two seems likely. At Real, he used a 4231 normally, and a 433 in tougher games. Think of Mata as the Ozil, in the number 10 role in the 4231, and pushed wide in the 433.

I would be surprised if we end next season with the same formation that we start with.

Jose has a habit of changing formation's just before it's about to get found out. 05/06 teams were starting to suss out our wingplay, United made up 10 points on us and were 7 behind with us still to play, so Mou decided to scrap it and unleash Drogba and Crespo together, a move which caught the whole league with their pants down and we won the league.

Mourinho brought 4-3-3 to the English game in the first place, so don't be surprised if he finds a new formation from somewhere.

I'd love to see a 352 or variant a la Juventus and Conte, but not many teams in modern European football play with two strikers; the setup a three man defence is set up to counter.

Against teams playing with one striker (most, as there is a droolfest with 4231 right now) there is a three on one difference at the back. Good for shutting out the striker, not good because it concedes an extra, unnecessary spare man, giving the opposition a spare man elsewhere. So right there it's a no for me, as very few teams play with two outright strikers.

Added to this, is that the width in a system with three defenders normally comes from one wide player on each side, which means they have to be capable defensively. Sure this allows us to play with 2 wingers, a CAM, and 2 strikers, but if you look at the players Juve play in wide spots (Lichsteiner/Asamoah/De Ceglie) then you see that Hazard can't really occupy one of those spots if the system is going to be effective.

A four man defence then, and if we have two strikers then realistically that leaves us with a 442 or a 442 diamond. A flat 442 is dead, and a diamond, while better, doesn't make the best use of our wingers, nor does it make sense to select a formation that restricts the number of players we can play in attacking midfield positions, given the talent we have there.

I think it's a straight fight between 433 and 4231. Mourinho at Inter persuaded Eto'o and Pandev to play deep and work hard defensively in their 4231/4213 variant, and I think he could ask the same of Mata and Hazard, so flexibility between the two seems likely. At Real, he used a 4231 normally, and a 433 in tougher games. Think of Mata as the Ozil, in the number 10 role in the 4231, and pushed wide in the 433.

Having Hulk and Hazard on the wings would totally shut the role of our fullbacks, so they could fucking staay in their line, providing cover for the midfield and well yuss idk, Mata could even play as a second striker to Cavani in the 4-4-2, they would help us fit De bruyne in their, but I don't know if he's anybetter than Mata in defensive area so yuss well, Even Chalaboah could play.

It merely depends on discipline, if our players are willing to play their role and not be badass to fuck with the other guy role.

I think 4-2-3-1 is our best formation, because Mata and Hazard work better with it.

Also, by the rumors, Jose is looking for a ST, RW, DM and CB. Which fits the bill for a 4-2-3-1 formation plan...