2013-14 Season Expectations

Chelsea Season Expectations Poll  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What should be Chelsea's objective in the Premier League?

• Winners
    • Title Challenge
    • Continental Qualification
    • League isn't a priority
  2. 2. What should be Chelsea's FA Cup expectation next season?

3. 3. What should be Chelsea's Champions League objective next season?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, the league is the priority. The CL is the biggie but I want us to win that when we are the best team in Europe, not the 6th best team in England.

So with the managerial changes at the Manc clubs I think we need to capitalise and hit the ground running. Moyes and Pellegrini aren't at the same level as Mourinho as coaches, and I think we already have a pretty good team. Citeh are going to be moving to a whole new system whilst United could really struggle to move on from arguably the greatest British coach of all time. The dark horses could be Arsenal though, depending on their spending this summer and the fact they'll get an earlier competitive start in the CL.

But I've thought for a while now that next season was when we make a proper run at regaining the title and that this season was essentially a write-off with the appointment of Robbie and the loans we made.

FA Cup - have to win it. Jose takes the cups seriously and although a lot depends on the draw (can see United and City struggling in this too, United less so) I reckon we could go all the way, especially if we use some of the fringe players who were on loan last season or just coming through the academy.

League Cup - not mentioned, but this was important to Jose in the first season and will be a good measure of where we're going. Also important to use the likes of Ake, Loftus-Cheek and even some of the older players like Lamps and Essien to keep the squad fresh and if we do that then I think we've got a very good shot, although I expect Arsenal to target one of the two cups.

Champions League - this season I don't really care to be honest. I've said final because I don't want us to reach the semis and get knocked out, and for that to become a thing with Jose but in all honesty I'd take a respectable run and the league title, and then focus on winning this the season after. Having said that with all the managerial changes in Europe this could be wide-open next season.

So my expectations are high. I said to a friend when I saw the odds of the quadruple at 1000-1 that they were low and I stick by that, but next season is about coming out of this period of transition and establishing something new for the next decade. It's a first-step in a new direction but I expect us to be back at the top of the tree with the right signings. The use of players like Lukaku is going to be a massive factor but I trust Jose.

I second that...EPL should be the priority, one of FA Cup, Supercup or League Cup is a must and Champions League is whatever but going out on group stages or semis will hurt! :)

One thing though, if we end up trophiless and finish second on EPL, will you say the season was a failure?

Premier League has to be the Priority. Anything less than that would be fucking sad and a failure from his side. He would get a 100M, a fucking HUNDRED MILLION lol, plus he aready has Mata and Hazard, So PREMIER LEAGUE IS A MUST :cfc:

And if he really is the special one, It'd not be wrong to expect another Champions League cherry :halo: ?

Finishing the season with Jose......

Strong finish in the league and strong cup runs.Jose always took them seriously in the past so doubt that change.Not that we didnt take them seriously last season just played mega shite throughout...

Another European title :P that be fun lol...or a strong finish/get out the group stages this time

We have to close the gap and at least contest the premiership. I think given the state of City and United, we can win the league next season because of Jose's experience and the experience the younger players got last season.

I don't have my biggest expectations for this season as it'll be Mourinho's first and I think the team needs a lot of adjustments as RDM unfortunately isn't a very tactical manager and any word said about Rafa Benitez is more than he deserves.

So while I expect us to challenge EPL and go deep in CL I know this will be a transition season and I just we evolve as a team. We only had a bunch of players (some of which amazing and promising) but we never had a team this season or a pattern or something collective and still we finished EPL 3rd and won Europa League. For the future both things will be unacceptable, but for next season I really want to see improvement and some of the boys off on loans to join the team.

League- Winners

We potentially have the squad to do it if we invest in a world class striker. I don't see Man United as much of a threat because Moyes will want to put his own stamp on the team which will take time. Man City could be right up there and they have brilliant strength in depth. Where I think we will have the edge is gaining more points at home than in recent years. Mourinho has a fantastic record of home games and the last few seasons we have dropped stupid points at home, which I don't think we will do anywhere near as much now.

FA Cup- Semi Final

Of course this relies heavily on the draw. We could play teams in leagues below us and each the final with relative ease. Alternatively we could end up playing Premier League teams. Our record is very good in the FA Cup in recent years and we should try to win it but at the same time we shouldn't neglect a few fringe players. Give them playing time and mix one or two in with the first XI. I expect us to reach at least the semi-finals.

League Cup- Don't care

It would be nice to win this trophy, we haven't done so since 2007. However, I would rather see us experiment with some younger players, regardless of if we end up going out to a League One team at home because there are very, very few teams that bother taking this trophy seriously anymore. If we end up getting to the semi-finals like last season then that would be great. We should then play our strongest side because it would be 3 games with a potential trophy at the end. If we don't get that far I don't care as long as the likes of Chalobah, McEachran, Piazon et al are given a chance (providing they are not on loan).

Super Cup- Winners

This is a big, big ask. Bayern are the best team in Europe at the moment and are only getting stronger with Goetze and possibly Lewandowski. Can we beat them though? Yes. Mourinho has had the edge over Guardiola in recent years and finally worked out how to crack the Barca team. It would be a nice trophy to win, especially because it is Bayern as well, but I will hardly lose sleep if we don't win it.

Champions League- Semi Final

Like in the league, we potentially have the squad to do it. I genuinely think with a Cavani or Jovetic up front we will have one of the best teams in Europe, plus Mourinho who is the best technical coach in the world. Like in the FA Cup it depends on the draw. We could draw Bayern or Barca in the last 16 and go out then or we could end up playing Copenhagen and then Porto and end up progressing to the semi finals fairly comfortably. If we have the 3 creative midfielders playing like they were last season with a top drawer striker and solid holding player behind then I don't see many squads better than ours. Bayern and Barca have better ones IMO but I don't see Dortmund, Milan, Madrid with stronger squads than us.

I'm looking forward to the Super Cup match. although it's so early in the season that maybe we won't show our best yet.

I'm not expecting an EPL title yet. those long competitions are better settled for teams that are already ready and ours isn't yet.

So I think we have better chances to go deeper in UCL - depending on the teams we end up drawing - than in EPL