The curious case of Courtois

The problem for Thibaut is that Cech is still by far the better keeper and definitely in the top 3 keepers in the world. You can't replace someone like that even if he's getting old. And you can't rotate keepers like outfield players, that's just a sure way to ruin both. Right now, it's pretty clear that we should keep Cech and loan Courtois. A loan to a PL club would be the best for his development, imo, but it would be unfair to not let him play in the CL after helping his team get there. At the end of the next season we have a look at the kind of season each of two keepers have had and make a decision again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem for Thibaut is that Cech is still by far the better keeper

By far? Not at all. Courtois is a very good goalkeeper and one of the best in Europe. I think you could swap Courtois in for Cech next season and not see any negative effect on our team.

The problem for Thibaut is that Cech is still by far the better keeper and definitely in the top 3 keepers in the world. You can't replace someone like that even if he's getting old. And you can't rotate keepers like outfield players, that's just a sure way to ruin both. Right now, it's pretty clear that we should keep Cech and loan Courtois. A loan to a PL club would be the best for his development, imo, but it would be unfair to not let him play in the CL after helping his team get there. At the end of the next season we have a look at the kind of season each of two keepers have had and make a decision again.

The gap isn't that big. I don't think Cech was this good at Courtois' age. At worst all that will happen is Courtois' first game for Chelsea will be delayed by a couple of years. I'd sell Cech for good money to be honest. If we can get 30 million pounds from Monaco, I'd do it, but only if Cech is ok with it. It's a bit hard to let go of a club legend. He has been with us so long now and has been an absolute role model in his time here.

He had a dip for a while after his head injury, but he's come back and is one of the best in the world.

Look at it long-term though. What an achievement it would be to go from one great keeper to another, creating two decades of stability at that position. That's almost unheard of - just look at how United coped with Schmeichel leaving. Maybe Cech could play for a few years more but there's been plenty of rumblings about his body's ability to cope.

Yes, I agree with you on the Cech fitness situation. Don't think he will last that long unfortunately. We'll see how it goes.

For me it's Mourinho's choice. If he decides to keep or sell Cech I am happy with either choice he takes.

By the way, how much do you guys think Manchester City would pay for Cech ?

For me it's Mourinho's choice. If he decides to keep or sell Cech I am happy with either choice he takes.

Seeing Cech is a City jersey would be disgusting....and i'm sure they'd pay alot..cause he's much better than Joe Hart can ever hope to be.

By far? Not at all. Courtois is a very good goalkeeper and one of the best in Europe. I think you could swap Courtois in for Cech next season and not see any negative effect on our team.

Well I disagree. I've lost count of the times this season that Cech has came up with an out of this world save to keep us in a game. It almost happens every single game but we are so used to Cech that we don't remember anymore. If we want to just build a squad for the future next season and settle for a top 4 finish then we can sell Cech and recall Courtois, but if we want to challenge for the tittle then we're going to need the likes of Cech and Cole and JT.

The gap isn't that big. I don't think Cech was this good at Courtois' age. At worst all that will happen is Courtois' first game for Chelsea will be delayed by a couple of years. I'd sell Cech for good money to be honest. If we can get 30 million pounds from Monaco, I'd do it, but only if Cech is ok with it. It's a bit hard to let go of a club legend. He has been with us so long now and has been an absolute role model in his time hear.

I'm not comparing Courtois to Cech when he was his age, I'm comparing then right now. And at this instant, Cech is the better keeper and if we want instant results and short time success then Petr should be in goal for us next season.

As long as Cech is playing well you keep him. He's still easily the better goalkeeper....for now.

Courtois is undoubtedly talented but has benefited from playing with a far better, committed and disciplined defense than the lunatics Cech has to deal with at the back.

Atletico only concede 10 shots on goal p/g which is the 7th lowest in Europe overall while Cech faces 12, 35th best in Europe. A lot of those 10 shots Courtois concedes are hopeful punts from 30 yards out while Cech seems to bail us out about 3/4 times a game alone.

Technically, Cech is still a level above Courtois anyway. Better with his feet, far better diving ability, better reactions and reflexes and most importantly ALWAYS shows up in the big games.

BOTH CL finals, Barca at home, Europa League final etc.

Cech is still the best GK in the PL and possibly the World.

Well I disagree. I've lost count of the times this season that Cech has came up with an out of this world save to keep us in a game. It almost happens every single game but we are so used to Cech that we don't remember anymore. If we want to just build a squad for the future next season and settle for a top 4 finish then we can sell Cech and recall Courtois, but if we want to challenge for the tittle then we're going to need the likes of Cech and Cole and JT.

Whereas Courtois just throws in worldies to win Copa Del Rays?

Cech's a great keeper but his reputation isn't so fragile that we need to do Courtois down. We can certainly win the league next year with Courtois in goal because he is that good. Barcelona seem to think the same if the reports are true.

If you honestly think Courtois would cost us points that Cech wouldn't then let's just add this to the list of things we disagree about.

The point is that unless the defence and midfield improves, we're not going to win the title. I trust Jose to sort that out first (by shipping off some dead wood) and I honestly believe that swapping Courtois for Cech wouldn't damage our chances in the slightest.

I'm not comparing Courtois to Cech when he was his age, I'm comparing then right now. And at this instant, Cech is the better keeper and if we want instant results and short time success then Petr should be in goal for us next season.

Is Courtois even better than Cech was at the same age? He was the best Gk in the World at Euro 2004 and he was around 22 then, so just a year older than Thibo currently is.

For all of his world class saves, don't forget that there's also been moments in the season where Cech could've done a lot better. Cech is a legend and all, but he isn't perfect, but neither is any keeper for that matter.

All I know is that Courtois has a lot more time on his side and is one of the best young goalkeepers that Europe has seen in quite some time, probably since Casillas (in terms of age/raw talent) broke at Real. I'm a sucker for sentimentality to some degree, but these aren't players who can be rotated like Lampard and Terry.

Cech is still world class and will be for a while yet, I'm not doubting that, but Courtois can be world class for us for much longer. We have a chance to transition from one top keeper to another, that a real rarity in the game, especially considering how little we paid. I just don't think we should risk throwing away one of the brightest talents in Europe for mainly, what I can see, are sentimental reasons.

P.S. I think Courtois should be loaned back to Atletico next season (after a contract extension) and to a PL club the season after before attempting to take no. 1 spot.

Whereas Courtois just throws in worldies to win Copa Del Rays?

Cech's a great keeper but his reputation isn't so fragile that we need to do Courtois down. We can certainly win the league next year with Courtois in goal because he is that good. Barcelona seem to think the same if the reports are true.

If you honestly think Courtois would cost us points that Cech wouldn't then let's just add this to the list of things we disagree about.

The point is that unless the defence and midfield improves, we're not going to win the title. I trust Jose to sort that out first (by shipping off some dead wood) and I honestly believe that swapping Courtois for Cech wouldn't damage our chances in the slightest.

I'm not disputing that Thibaut is a good keeper or that he is capable of pulling off world-class save, I'm just saying that he can't do it as consistently as Petr. Cech is still the better keeper, especially when it comes to positioning and decision making, which is only natural because those things come with experience. But that could sometimes be the difference between 3 points and no points. Not sure how Barcelona come into the equation. They have Victoe Valdez i goal, there is absolutely no comparison.

I'm not disputing that Thibaut is a good keeper or that he is capable of pulling off world-class save, I'm just saying that he can't do it as consistently as Petr. Cech is still the better keeper, especially when it comes to positioning and decision making, which is only natural because those things come with experience. But that could sometimes be the difference between 3 points and no points. Not sure how Barcelona come into the equation. They have Victoe Valdez i goal, there is absolutely no comparison.

I just think this is one more point where you're just dead wrong. I've watched Courtois a lot this year and he's got a great head on those shoulders, which is in keeping with a lot of the other youngsters we've got in our squad. I think you're just throwing around generalities that one might expect to be true and don't take a shred of knowledge of the player to spout.

It's like that save of his against Madrid that you decided to criticise, but you simply showed up your lack of knowledge about goalkeeping. That was a world-class save that combined anticipation, reflexes and bravery and you still decided to tear it to shreds in a completely bogus manner.

For all of his world class saves, don't forget that there's also been moments in the season where Cech could've done a lot better. Cech is a legend and all, but he isn't perfect, but neither is any keeper for that matter.

All I know is that Courtois has a lot more time on his side and is one of the best young goalkeepers that Europe has seen in quite some time, probably since Casillas (in terms of age/raw talent) broke at Real. I'm a sucker for sentimentality to some degree, but these aren't players who can be rotated like Lampard and Terry.

Cech is still world class and will be for a while yet, I'm not doubting that, but Courtois can be world class for us for much longer. We have a chance to transition from one top keeper to another, that a real rarity in the game, especially considering how little we paid. I just don't think we should risk throwing away one of the brightest talents in Europe for mainly, what I can see, are sentimental reasons.

P.S. I think Courtois should be loaned back to Atletico next season (after a contract extension) and to a PL club the season after before attempting to take no. 1 spot.

That doesn't really conflict with what I said. I'm not saying that we should throw Thibaut away, just that at the moment it makes much more sense to keep Cech and loan Courtois out because Petr is still the better keeper. At the end of next season we can asses the situation again and make a decision again.

PS: I'm not sure what mistakes you're talking about. You can literally count the 'mistakes' Cech has made this season on one hand.

We have to remember how Cech made his break in a Chelsea jersey.

When he first came to the club we had Carlo Cudicini as our #1 and we didn't think he'd be replaced any time soon. I used to love watching Cudicini keep, he wasn't the tallest but he made up for it with class reflexes and brilliant footwork. Back then, he was untouchable, we didn't think this random Czech signing would be displacing our favorite Italian any time soon, did we?

Then what happens? Cudicini picks up and injury pre-season, Mourinho gives Cech his opportunity and almost 9 years on, we haven't looked back. Though Ranieri signed Cech, it was Mourinho who gave Cech and inch and the Czech took his opportunity and ran a mile with it.

Who's to say the same won't happen this time. There's been paper talk about Mourinho wanting to bring Courtois back with him, which makes sense because Mou would've kept a close eye on the Athletico keeper. For all we know, Mourinho might decide to 'do a Cech' with Courtois and 'a Cudicini' with Cech.

i ll take out my eyes before watching cech in a city, united and especially arse-anal jersey...