The curious case of Courtois

Obviously we have two top quality players in Cech and Courtois, and obviously we don't want to hinder the development of Courtois. So I was just thinking what everyone thinks is the best solution to this situation. Should we loan Courtois to Atletico again, a premiership club, keep him and Cech at the club, just him or just Cech.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both of them in my opinion. we will be playing about 60 games( 38pl games + 10-12 COC+FA games + 1 uefa super cup + 10plus ucl games) next season. courtouis can easily get 25-30 games and get a first hand experience of PL. his shot stopping, reflex and all is probably as good as cech but i am not so sure about his cross handling... hence why use both of them?

Rotating goalkeepers doesn't work in my opinion. One has to be top dog, and know it. Otherwise it's Always trouble.

So for me the question comes down to either Courtois, either Cech. I would let Courtois develop one more year (loan to Atletico or another team) and then let him take over next year, when he is even more of a beast then he is now.

Rotating goalkeepers doesn't work in my opinion. One has to be top dog, and know it. Otherwise it's Always trouble.

So for me the question comes down to either Courtois, either Cech. I would let Courtois develop one more year (loan to Atletico or another team) and then let him take over next year, when he is even more of a beast then he is now.

Spot on. This idea of swapping keepers every week is absolutely absurd. Goalkeepers thrive on consistency and building a rapport with their defenders. Arbitrarily switching them would be to the detriment of the team.

Plus he'll get his first experience of the Champions League next year and it'll be interesting to see how he copes with the title of best keeper in Spain. Right now I'm of the opinion that we could make the switch to Courtois without noticing a drop in the team's performance, but Cech is a legend and it's going to be a tough move to make unless he has a drop in form.

When we do make the change then it has to be definitive, probably moving Cech on so that Courtois knows he is the number one.

1/2 more years on loan for courtois.

But I reckon we will keep Cech for 4 more years, and eventually swap/get rid of courtois. Just can't see us getting rid of Cech in 1 or max 2 seasons time when he will probably still be a top keeper.

2013/14 - loan Courtois. Cech as number one.

2014/15 - Cech 30-ish league games, and European competitions. Courtois the remainder and any dead-rubber UEFA fixtures, so probably 15-ish matches.

2015/16 - if Cech hasn't left, then the opposite of 14/15.

Cech is a legend and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, and not just cast away like a leper.

I've said it already: you don't change the winning formula. And Cech has been just about that for us. If he keeps this level of performance, I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

But that's exactly what we've been doing for the last 5 years. We also haven't won a league in three years. We haven't been one of the top two clubs in England for the last two years.

So what is this winning forumla? Crossing our fingers?

2014/15 - Cech 30-ish league games, and European competitions. Courtois the remainder and any dead-rubber UEFA fixtures, so probably 15-ish matches.

Cech is a legend and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect, and not just cast away like a leper.

See to me, that is a great way to halt Courtois's progression as a footballer. Yes Cech is a great keeper but sentimentality is the best way to ruin a football club.

Once the club decides that Courtois is ready to be the first-team keeper then it should be a swift and decisive change. Fucking around trying to placate people's feelings is a great way to create uncertainty in the squad.

People need to realise that this club is over 100 years old and changes will happen. Players are ultimately paid professionals brought in to do a job. They know this.

I just don't see that working out...

I think Courtois will ask to leave in 2015 if he isn't the #1 at Chelsea...

Cech is a legend...but I'd be happy to let him go a season early if that means Courtois is given the chance to establish himself for the next decade.

Why rotate him when he can have a full season out on loan. We are just taking valuable game time from him. No point having both of them rotate because say Courtois has one excellent game for us then gets rotated next game, not really good for confidence and it brings uncertainty for the keepers.

But that's exactly what we've been doing for the last 5 years. We also haven't won a league in three years. We haven't been one of the top two clubs in England for the last two years.

So what is this winning forumla? Crossing our fingers?

See to me, that is a great way to halt Courtois's progression as a footballer. Yes Cech is a great keeper but sentimentality is the best way to ruin a football club.

Once the club decides that Courtois is ready to be the first-team keeper then it should be a swift and decisive change. Fucking around trying to placate people's feelings is a great way to create uncertainty in the squad.

People need to realise that this club is over 100 years old and changes will happen. Players are ultimately paid professionals brought in to do a job. They know this.

Thats a different story mate. You do have a point, but tell me that Cech hasn't been one of the best players for us all these years, and probably the most consistent one (even if its easier for a goalie). :D

Again, if Cech can play like this at the age of 48 I'd pass on anyone else.

Thats a different story mate. You do have a point, but tell me that Cech hasn't been one of the best players for us all these years, and probably the most consistent one (even if its easier for a goalie). :D

Again, if Cech can play like this at the age of 48 I'd pass on anyone else.

He had a dip for a while after his head injury, but he's come back and is one of the best in the world.

Look at it long-term though. What an achievement it would be to go from one great keeper to another, creating two decades of stability at that position. That's almost unheard of - just look at how United coped with Schmeichel leaving. Maybe Cech could play for a few years more but there's been plenty of rumblings about his body's ability to cope.