The curious case of Courtois

Cech has become a complete professional though. Won everything there is in club football and has the experience of big matches in the most unlikeliness of odds. Ofc we are all sentimental towards Cech, but he is a world class keeper that I wouldn't trade in just yet. Courtois should get 1, possibly 2 more years (hopefully at a PL club too) on loan and then come back to train with Chelsea.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the discussion is already in the Courtois data base as the debate has been going on in there for the best part of a year where Zolayes and I have remained steadfast about the situation, not sure why this thread wasn't/hasn't been amalgamated?

Anyway I'm not going to go over all the old ground but I will just add that Jose has been successful in his career because he hasn't allowed sentiment into his thought process when making tough decisions - this one will be no different. If this is not managed properly then we could see Courtois leaving on a free probably to Barca in a couple of years, let's hope the club tie him down for the long haul first and let Jose handle the rest.

not sure why this thread wasn't/hasn't been amalgamated?

Probably because I have absolutely no idea what that means :dunno:

Seriously though, the season is over and there is no actual football to discuss so people tend to create threads like this and this stops the forum from being too inactive.

I think the important thing that Chelsea should do is make him sign a contract extension. Courtois is an amazing keeper and he will definitely be the number one choice to replace Cech. Give Courtois two more seasons in Madrid then gradually put him in the starting eleven, a few Champions league, league and cup games.

I've been watching Courtois for a long time in the spanish league and I can tell you that he is more than ready to join Chelsea. Obviously, we have Cech and he is playing well but Courtois is younger and eventually we will need to replace Cech and Courtois is the better option, I'm really sure of that.

yeah, Courtois was great in Atleti last season which is why we're in a crossroad with him now.

If we load him again we may lose him as he keeps showing how much potential he has. If we bring him to the Bridge he won't be happy - as he said he'd prefer to have another off-loan season rather than be in the bench the whole season and I understand him. It's even more important for goalies to play than other guys because it's all about getting experience and avoiding getting rusty.

If we bring him to the Bridge we would have to move Cech to the bench and that's inconceivable in my head. He was too good this season - despite a few mistakes (that are expected) and I think he has at least another good season on him.

But how much longer should we invest in one of our greatest players in recent history over giving the chance to the next star? I wonder if those loans won't end up with Courtois going somewhere else. He seems pretty excited to play in La Liga if you ask me and I don't want us to lose such a promising player. So yeah, his case is curious to say the least and I hope Mourinho can talk to him and find a good common ground. I'd keep him in a loan for another year, but before I would prolong his contract and increase his contractual fine.

Okay, so now that we've released Turnbull and Hilario we have only Jamal Blackman as a back up keeper. I can't see Courtois being used somehow so we'll probably give him one more year on loan and get some experienced old keeper to cover Petr.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems sort of obvious to me: one more year on loan. The following season, let Courtois play all of the cup games and Cech play all of the Premier League games. If you look at our game count, it's fairly close to them each getting a full season this way. I love Cech and have huge respect for him. But AT THIS POINT, I think it's more important to keep Courtois.

It seems sort of obvious to me: one more year on loan. The following season, let Courtois play all of the cup games and Cech play all of the Premier League games. If you look at our game count, it's fairly close to them each getting a full season this way. I love Cech and have huge respect for him. But AT THIS POINT, I think it's more important to keep Courtois.

Courtois will not come down from being regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in Spain to cup games at Chelsea. I don't know why people fail to grasp that.

Besides, him saying he's more of an Atleti player than a CFC player - what do you expect him to say? Of course he is. He's going for his third season there now so he's just being honest. Nothing wrong with what he said - he's a wise bit and understand the situation with Cech. It's not like we're talking about a 12 year old.

Courtois will not come down from being regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in Spain to cup games at Chelsea. I don't know why people fail to grasp that.

Besides, him saying he's more of an Atleti player than a CFC player - what do you expect him to say? Of course he is. He's going for his third season there now so he's just being honest. Nothing wrong with what he said - he's a wise bit and understand the situation with Cech. It's not like we're talking about a 12 year old.

I fail to grasp it because I want the best of both worlds and I don't want to compromise. Why can't you allow me that? :clown:

• 2 weeks later...

if he wants Barca, otta let him go for 20+ mil. We can't abonden Cech anytime soon.

What not though?

We are in a crucial time of our transition with Mourinho now appointed, and we must understand that Cech's influence this season's transition phase could be massive in that, but after the WC we should be seeing to get some profit off of him. After the WC, Courtois is more than ready to join us considering he has accomplished so much at a tender age. He's been performing way above standards and has the quality to easily be the BEST keeper in the world. He must be introduced after the world cup or the following season. An absolute Must