Match Fixing - Did it affect us?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

So it has come out that a Champions League match that has been played in the last three or four years and happened in England.

In the past 3-4 years in the CL there hasn't really been any games played in England you could look at and think there's an actual possibility that this game has been fixed, but one!

3 years ago in May 2009 we played Barcelona and had 4 blatant penalties turned down by Tom Henning Ovrebo. This was the first ever big match that Ovrebo had reffed and even before the match people were questioning his appointment. Putting everything together you have to think, is this the match that was in question? I most certainly think it is and I pray they find out the truth.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

So it has come out that a Champions League match that has been played in the last three or four years and happened in England.

In the past 3-4 years in the CL there hasn't really been any games played in England you could look at and think there's an actual possibility that this game has been fixed, but one!

3 years ago in May 2009 we played Barcelona and had 4 blatant penalties turned down by Tom Henning Ovrebo. This was the first ever big match that Ovrebo had reffed and even before the match people were questioning his appointment. Putting everything together you have to think, is this the match that was in question? I most certainly think it is and I pray they find out the truth.

The match fixing being referred to is betting related and as such I don't think we'll find that it's got any links to Ovrebo.

Now whether there was mental or moral corruption/pressure being put onto Ovrebo from other sources, that's an entirely different question.

I'd suggest that maybe the FA or the Professional Match Officials organisations have questions to answer related to very recent mental/moral corruption, if you've watched us since Clattenburg you'll see we very much get the rough end of decisions. I've not see a home side get less in the way of 50/50 type decisions than we have since then, never mind what we don't get away from home.

Reports - Chelsea vs Barcelona UCL semi 2009 was fixed

German league alone accounted for nearly £8m in betting

Europol has found 380 matches involving 425 corrupt officials across 15 countries

Read more here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21321562

via F.A

There are lots of matches that could be fixed but if that one was, the referee did an awful job. You can fix games and make it look a lot fairer than that. The easiest way is to give a lot of yellows out early. To the team you want to win, you give a couple out to attacking players, to the team you want to lose, you give it to defending players or for the team you want to win, you give them to minor players and the team you want to lose, you give them to major players. Then, later in the game, you give one key player a second yellow and he's off. You can also call a lot of unfair calls that nobody really questions like that shoving in the box on corners, Ovrebo's game was so obviously terrible, that everyone was talking about it. and we're all still justifiably mad over it. It could have been fixed, but it also could have been another game we don't know about.

There are lots of matches that could be fixed but if that one was, the referee did an awful job. You can fix games and make it look a lot fairer than that. The easiest way is to give a lot of yellows out early. To the team you want to win, you give a couple out to attacking players, to the team you want to lose, you give it to defending players or for the team you want to win, you give them to minor players and the team you want to lose, you give them to major players. Then, later in the game, you give one key player a second yellow and he's off. You can also call a lot of unfair calls that nobody really questions like that shoving in the box on corners, Ovrebo's game was so obviously terrible, that everyone was talking about it. and we're all still justifiably mad over it. It could have been fixed, but it also could have been another game we don't know about.

You seem to know what you're talking about...A bit too much....You been fixing matches TC?

i think the system focusses on getting first throw-in, first free-kick etc because fixing results is a lot tougher in football. Cricket has had a lot of match-fixing in the past and that's because a single person can affect the result of a game. Azharuddin, Cronje anyone? But I dont think this has anything to do with Ovrebo. I would love for this to be about Ovrebo though!

i think the system focusses on getting first throw-in, first free-kick etc because fixing results is a lot tougher in football. Cricket has had a lot of match-fixing in the past and that's because a single person can affect the result of a game. Azharuddin, Cronje anyone? But I dont think this has anything to do with Ovrebo. I would love for this to be about Ovrebo though!

Remember the 2002 world cup in korea? How the refs in front of the whole wide world made a mockery of FIFA against Portugal, Spain, Italy and Germany?