Physical & Mental health

Leif

One thing I learned is working out in a gym with people versus at home is two different things...

At home, I work at my own pace and don't worry too much about anything...

However, at the gym I see competition everywhere, and worry about little things...

Conclusion, working out in gym is better...

Depends on the person. People, who can't motivate themselves as hard will always have better results in gym for the obvious reason. Though, you mentioned competition - there are many forms. There's also competition for weights, machines so in the long run you have to do a lot of adjusting and give-ups in order to get any sort of training done.

It's great to push yourself from time to time but your body has limits. When you try to compete with others in the gym you put yourself in a position, where you are prone to injuries, because in the end of the day you dont actually know who you are competing against. Having a huge ego and a need to show off is the quickest route to snap city.

Every person is different, but if you have all the needed equipment at home (light/average/heavy weights, pull up bar etc), the needed motivation - I think an average person will benefit a lot more from home workouts. Like you said, it's stress free, you've got the time and space to perform exercises and not rushed by other people.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on the person. People, who can't motivate themselves as hard will always have better results in gym for the obvious reason. Though, you mentioned competition - there are many forms. There's also competition for weights, machines so in the long run you have to do a lot of adjusting and give-ups in order to get any sort of training done.

It's great to push yourself from time to time but your body has limits. When you try to compete with others in the gym you put yourself in a position, where you are prone to injuries, because in the end of the day you dont actually know who you are competing against. Having a huge ego and a need to show off is the quickest route to snap city.

Every person is different, but if you have all the needed equipment at home (light/average/heavy weights, pull up bar etc), the needed motivation - I think an average person will benefit a lot more from home workouts. Like you said, it's stress free, you've got the time and space to perform exercises and not rushed by other people.

That's true!

On a side note, I go to the gym mostly cause of weights and swimming....

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the gym after a few months off - doesn't mean I didn't train, I did - just did my routines at home.

Routine was:

- warm-up

- bench press 3x 6-8 (80kgs)

- incline barbell press 3x 8-10 (50-60kgs) ; thinking of going over to the dumbell version of the exercise

- dips 3x10

- tricep pulldowns 3x 6-8

- chest fly 3x 8 + super-setting with 8 push-ups between every set

In and out in an hour, glad to be back in the routine.

How's it going for you, lads?

Back in the gym after a few months off - doesn't mean I didn't train, I did - just did my routines at home.

Routine was:

- warm-up

- incline barbell press 3x 8-10 (50-60kgs) ; thinking of going over to the dumbell version of the exercise

- dips 3x10

School has cut my gym time down, so I bought dumbbells and do a lot of curls at home really, also use my bench from times to time but the barbell has only 30 something kg on it as thats all that came with it so its quite easy. Holidays start today though so I might try get back into the swing of things. If I can be arsed.

School has cut my gym time down, so I bought dumbbells and do a lot of curls at home really, also use my bench from times to time but the barbell has only 30 something kg on it as thats all that came with it so its quite easy. Holidays start today though so I might try get back into the swing of things. If I can be arsed.

With up to 30kg barbell you can do loads of stuff: skull crushers, elbow raises, regular biceps curls, back rows, shoulder presses. Heck, even slow-motion bench presses. TONS of stuff you can do with that. NB! Form has to be clean on any of those exercises in order for them to work and minimize injury risk. Work hard but work smart, alright?

Routine was:

- warm-up

- dips 3x10

Is this chest and tris?

For chest+tri days, I usually start off with 15 cardio pushups, 15 stability ball pushups and 15-20 medicine ball switch pushups... x3

After this circuit, I go straight to the chest press machine 110lbsx20x3

Next, chest flies 110x15x3 (I hold it for 2 secs when my arms come in)

My triceps are jacked (in high school prior to football I did 1000x pushups a day), so I try to focus more on chest isos(chest jacked too, but not shaped properly!).

I do triceps pulldowns, but not so much these days.

Also, I seem to lose all my energy and power, that when I get to dips, I cant do them.... (maybe i should start doing them first)...

good stuff... I do like 2-3 of these usually for tris

But now my ankle is effed up and I might have to take a break from working out....... (getting some good old acupuncture today!)

As mentioned on top, you can do a lot with a 30kgs barbell.

If you could do a lot of sets with a 30kg barbell you must be in hella strong (AT LEAST).

My bicep workout is mainly 15-20 concentration curls of 22.5lbs-25 x3

e-z barbell curls 50lbs x15-20x3

barbell curls like 50lbs x 15 x2

and I do back with biceps, so a lot of the lat machines work biceps as well...

On a side note, I dont believe in benching (haha).

As mentioned on top, you can do a lot with a 30kgs barbell.

If you could do a lot of sets with a 30kg barbell you must be in hella strong (AT LEAST).

My bicep workout is mainly 15-20 concentration curls of 22.5lbs-25 x3

e-z barbell curls 50lbs x15-20x3

barbell curls like 50lbs x 15 x2

and I do back with biceps, so a lot of the lat machines work biceps as well...

On a side note, I dont believe in benching (haha).

The bench I've got came with a barbell and its got roughly 35 kg with it, which is relatively easy to bench, I don't know what I can bench upto but 35kg is quite easy I feel, not like I don't need to put a lot of effort in but I can do 3 or 5 sets of 10 reps quite well. You hear about a lot of people who bench much more than their own body weight but the bench I got I bought when I was 15 as I was preparing myself to go to the gym when I turned 16 only came with upto 35kg which I couldn't do 2 years ago lol.

I'm not particularly bothered about being massive, I'm looking to try and bulk up so I'm stronger for football. I try and do cardio as well when I'm in the gym too.

The bench I've got came with a barbell and its got roughly 35 kg with it, which is relatively easy to bench, I don't know what I can bench upto but 35kg is quite easy I feel, not like I don't need to put a lot of effort in but I can do 3 or 5 sets of 10 reps quite well. You hear about a lot of people who bench much more than their own body weight but the bench I got I bought when I was 15 as I was preparing myself to go to the gym when I turned 16 only came with upto 35kg which I couldn't do 2 years ago lol.

I'm not particularly bothered about being massive, I'm looking to try and bulk up so I'm stronger for football. I try and do cardio as well when I'm in the gym too.

I should of clarified I meant curling, not benching...

Curling 35kgs x10x3 is pretty impressive.

I guess benching that is good.... for your age.

When I was 15ish, I was able to max 175lbs (80kgs), however, I was athletic and uber strong at that time (however, i stopped benching after football). I kind of looked like the korean version of MJ Drew... Some kids on my team were maxing out 250lbs, (113kgs), however, I had my suspicions about them....lol

I thing a good workout for cardio and toning is roping...... I did a ton of roping, however, I have a tendency to break them after 2-3months (speed roping), so now I just do elliptical and spinning and swimming..

(This inspired me to start spinning!)

Depends on goals. If you are after the lean, resilient appearance and not so much after strength (bigger muscles), then you should do 12+ reps each set with sufficient weight. Though if you are after strength, more like bodybuilding then stick with good old 6-8 ( max up to 10) reps each set with heavy weights. 1000 push ups are impressive but over time it won't give you much other than arthritis, because your bodyweight stays roughly the same and in order to get more out of the exercise you need to perfrom silly amounts of push ups, which will wear your joints down. Plus it becomes more of a muscle memory activity. Not putting down push downs etc - very solid exercise if you're getting back to gym routines etc but it does ave it drawbacks.

Took 4 days for my ankle to heal....

Depends on goals. If you are after the lean, resilient appearance and not so much after strength (bigger muscles), then you should do 12+ reps each set with sufficient weight. Though if you are after strength, more like bodybuilding then stick with good old 6-8 ( max up to 10) reps each set with heavy weights. 1000 push ups are impressive but over time it won't give you much other than arthritis, because your bodyweight stays roughly the same and in order to get more out of the exercise you need to perfrom silly amounts of push ups, which will wear your joints down. Plus it becomes more of a muscle memory activity. Not putting down push downs etc - very solid exercise if you're getting back to gym routines etc but it does ave it drawbacks.

The main problem with pushups is they ruin your wrists, which is why they have also been abandoned in the German army. So if you do some, perform them on the fists. Healthier, more intense and looks more badass.

Everything has drawbacks if your going to go that route.... Benching, curling, whatever...

Shit, I had acupuncture done cause I messed up my ankle from pilates..

Routine was:

- warm-up

- dips 3x10

Or you can do what I do, which is going around attacking people with a cricket bat, GTA style! It's great for the neck muscles!

I took off from the gym for a week to heal my ankles...

All I did was eat Ice cream and more ice cream and more ice cream......

Now I can't do spinning or anything cardio for a while cause of my ankle precaution.