Physical & Mental health

Leif

I started the keto diet 3.5 weeks ago and day 1 I weighed in at 237 lbs (107.5kg), I'm 6ft0 so I was pretty fat. HOWEVER, I am now 216 lb (98kg) and I feel awesome, my cravings have gone away and I only get hungry after 6-7 hours hours. And guess what, I haven't been working out!! I recommend this diet to anyone wanting to lose weight.

KETO INFO:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QWYzekZIVmZYU28/edit?pli=1

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started the keto diet 3.5 weeks ago and day 1 I weighed in at 237 lbs (107.5kg), I'm 6ft0 so I was pretty fat. HOWEVER, I am now 216 lb (98kg) and I feel awesome, my cravings have gone away and I only get hungry after 6-7 hours hours. And guess what, I haven't been working out!! I recommend this diet to anyone wanting to lose weight.

KETO INFO:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7HUzyxEtLv5QWYzekZIVmZYU28/edit?pli=1

Im glad this is working for you, and you've dropped some serious weight. so well done!

despite the success you are having with the diet, its not something i would personally recommend. In the long run this diet fails, BUT i think if used properly it may be useful. so, you are having great success at the moment, and i think you've done well to lose the weight, i would say carry on with this and lose a bit more, but i can not emphasise enough how once you reach about 90kg (maybe a bit less) that you come off it, and start to exercise and eat a more balanced diet.

If you stay on the keto diet, you will most likely reach a point of failure which is hugely common with low carb diets (which is another reason why i recommend you ease yourself off it once you reach a certain weight where you are capable of exercising more easily). Theres a reason why it is recommended by the top dogs that 60% of our daily intake comes from carbs, carbs are hugely important for function and health. and when it comes to exercising its even more important - even when losing weight. this keto diet will cause some serious strain on the liver. you will also feel really tired, get dizzy, even suffer some feverish symptoms and worst of all... BAD BREATH! the lack of carbs limits transport of vital nutrients, it'll effect your water storage and therefore vitamin availability (hence the shit symptoms).

so i would personally say carry on with it,but as soon as you reach a decent weight, return to healthy balanced eating (whilst keeping a calorie deficit) and exercise. its better to be fat and fit than thin and unhealthy, but if done correctly tou should be able to achieve the fitness inside and out!

for ANY diet, the main positive of them is that it gives you a guideline and something fixed to work towards and achieve which is why they show success BUT every diet is wrong and unhealthy! the ultimate diet is a balanced diet, that has a deficit and regular exercise - but this diet is hard to follow has most people dont know what a balanced diet is!

im 6ft 4 and only about 165 at 16. i feel like i need to get bigger as i plan to join royal navy reserves soon and become a firefighter when i turn 18. i have some lean muscle and im quite strong but its just my arms that are small. anyone got any tips for growing arms?

as already mentioned by the superb SinineUltra, you are young and still growing. if your genetics are right, then you may not even have ot exercise to get bigger arms ;)

from exeprience, the arms sort themself out if you do exercises such as benching, press ups, chin ups/pull ups and similar exercises. you obviously have bicep curls and tricep exercises you can also do (work best after youve done the previous exercsises mentioned) but if you are doing the exercise, they are muscles that support most movements so will eventually grow. the lower arm are also muscles that will develop if you start to lift weights or do pull ups etc. if you grip confidently and strongly, it will work them!

just eat well, and try and get in to doing some resistance exercise and you should get the growth you desire. also, joining the navy, they will give you some routines and support that should lead to you developing, so i wouldnt worry too much!

im 6ft 4 and only about 165 at 16. i feel like i need to get bigger as i plan to join royal navy reserves soon and become a firefighter when i turn 18. i have some lean muscle and im quite strong but its just my arms that are small. anyone got any tips for growing arms?

I'm also tall and lean. 6"2 and only like 150 lbs.

Trying to grow.. listen to @SinineUltra he's right.

Like with any muscle it needs nutrients (hypertrohpy). There is no way in seven hells a normal person with relatively small knowledge can grow muscle and not gain fat in the same time - called bulking. Eat more, do the exercises that matter - compound exercises. Biceps curls won't do much if you haven't developed anything yet. Pull ups, push ups, bench press, occasional curls to stimulate the fibers in a different way. That's the big secret really. :) Plus you are young, when you become older (18-21 depends when your puberty ends) your metabolism will become slightly slower and your body will be developed into a grown up one. There is a reason why most teenagers are very thin - biology. There's also your height - you're a tall lad and still growing(?) so 2kgs of muscle on you will not be as VISUAL as for a shorter boy or man.

Number one thing in training (and in life) is that if you want to succeed you need to be consistent and show up - work out regularly and don't make excuses. @Hutcho's story is a great example.

Btw Hutcho, the funny thing is that as soon as you become lean and have a normal fat percentage most probably you will want to gain muscle and gain weight. But it will be good weight that will be beneficial for you. Never ending circle really.

Good luck to both of you!

True that !

Just checked my original post when I started this thread in November. I was 179lbs. Today I'm 138lbs :getin::getin::getin::getin::getin: This is the first time since I was around 5 years old that my BMI hasn't declared me as 'overweight'.

I probably could have lost 41lbs quicker than I have but I hit a slump at one point when I got to 152lbs. The weight stopped coming off so i 'gave up' and went back up to 166lbs which took a while to get off.. again.

Now I'm just waiting for my delayed gynecomastia appointment. Once that's done, I'll be having 6 weeks rest, and then i'll know what a flat body feels like. Excited. :ph34r:

Im glad this is working for you, and you've dropped some serious weight. so well done!

despite the success you are having with the diet, its not something i would personally recommend. In the long run this diet fails, BUT i think if used properly it may be useful. so, you are having great success at the moment, and i think you've done well to lose the weight, i would say carry on with this and lose a bit more, but i can not emphasise enough how once you reach about 90kg (maybe a bit less) that you come off it, and start to exercise and eat a more balanced diet.

If you stay on the keto diet, you will most likely reach a point of failure which is hugely common with low carb diets (which is another reason why i recommend you ease yourself off it once you reach a certain weight where you are capable of exercising more easily). Theres a reason why it is recommended by the top dogs that 60% of our daily intake comes from carbs, carbs are hugely important for function and health. and when it comes to exercising its even more important - even when losing weight. this keto diet will cause some serious strain on the liver. you will also feel really tired, get dizzy, even suffer some feverish symptoms and worst of all... BAD BREATH! the lack of carbs limits transport of vital nutrients, it'll effect your water storage and therefore vitamin availability (hence the shit symptoms).

so i would personally say carry on with it,but as soon as you reach a decent weight, return to healthy balanced eating (whilst keeping a calorie deficit) and exercise. its better to be fat and fit than thin and unhealthy, but if done correctly tou should be able to achieve the fitness inside and out!

for ANY diet, the main positive of them is that it gives you a guideline and something fixed to work towards and achieve which is why they show success BUT every diet is wrong and unhealthy! the ultimate diet is a balanced diet, that has a deficit and regular exercise - but this diet is hard to follow has most people dont know what a balanced diet is!

Thanks for the concern, I have been worrying about how I will/should handle myself after this diet, I'm currently trying to find what successful ketoers have done after stopping that have helped maintain their weight loss. The few of them say that if carbs must be eaten after keto make sure to maintain at least moderate exercise schedule, however the overwhelming response is that successful dieters have maintained keto as a lifestyle rather than a diet.

Thanks for the concern, I have been worrying about how I will/should handle myself after this diet, I'm currently trying to find what successful ketoers have done after stopping that have helped maintain their weight loss. The few of them say that if carbs must be eaten after keto make sure to maintain at least moderate exercise schedule, however the overwhelming response is that successful dieters have maintained keto as a lifestyle rather than a diet.

I really would not look to make it a lifestyle. i think its a good place to start, but once a decent weight is reached it would be so much healthier to involve some exercise and re introduce carbs.

obviously if it is something that is working for you then its up to you wether you continue it. for example, if you have tried many different diets, and this is the first thing thats worked for you, and you really want to lose some weight, then you're probably right to stick with it. but if this is the first thing youve tried, it shows you've got discipline due to the success and theres no reason to why you cant introduce some exercise and enjoy a balanced die, because you clearly have the ability to adapt and maintain.

just had a quick whip round some research because my knowledge of the keto diet is limited to about half a lectures worth... but recommendations are similar to what i've already said. it is effective, but should eventually be replaced with a balanced diet and exercise. there looks to be some nasty complications when used long term (rare, and mostly in children though).

it looks to be an effective treatment for epilieptics as well... interesting!

fair play to you for doing it though, i love carbs too much to be able to do it! and again, congrats on your weight loss, it is quite impressive.

Cutting carbs so low for a long time will be very bad for you. I'd really like to see a person who has maintained this kind of diet for a long time - I bet they are skinny alright but have no strength etc. Even if your goal is not to be muscular, you still have muscles attached to you and they need proper food to function properly. It's like cutting down on drinking water just to lose water weight, but the truth is you'd be killing your body. This is what athletes do to get to their target weight before matches, fights.

Reading your posts I understood that you don't do regular exercise or am I wrong? If so then diet is only an extra measure to lose weight, the main thing is to do regular exercise. It boosts metabolism, uses energy(-stores) and keeps your organs healthy. Let's be honest, unless you have someone besides you 24/7 to calculate exactly what you should eat and how much of it, then most probably you will be in macro/micronutrient deficiency very soon and they have serious aberrations (gastrointestinal disturbance, ketosis, osteoporosis and many more nutrient deficiencies.) Be smart about his, get your target weight and start eating healthy normal foods by cutting out junk food, sodas and add exercise to your lifestyle.

Hi there, following the template in the OP so here it goes.

Height: 6'1

Current Weight: 186lbs

BF%: 15-17%

Objective: Cut BF down to 11% before summer (again, did this last year)

Programmes: Custom work out - 4 days / week gym (free weights:

Split into:

-Back/Tris + HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) afterwards (30 second sprint, 30 second rest, 30 second sprint etc.) for 8 mins, then 2 min jogging break then continue.

-Chest/Bis

-Shoulders/traps + HIIT

-Legs (Squats) + Abs

Then, since I am cutting, I work in cardio for 2 extra days of the week so only one day of rest. Cardio is either running for 75 minutes or use of rowing machine until exhaustion (depending on how much motivation I have haha)

Diet (most important) - Whilst I don't carb-count I try to eat around 2700-2900 in order to lose weight. Sample eating plan for a day would be:

7am: Breakfast - 3 Eggs on 1 slice of low GI toast, + small bowl of oats with milk + fruits. + 1 Pint of milk.

11am: Snack - Protein bar (low GI carb, low fat) + banana + 1 pint of milk

1.30pm: Lunch - Chicken sandwhich in low GI baguette with lettuce + cucumber.. no butter or cheese.

4pm : Pre-dinner - Piece of fruit and some cashew nuts (protein shake post workout)

7pm: Dinner - 16oz steak or meat equivalent with sweet potato/brown rice/pasta etc.. + loads of vegetables because my parents always cook loads.

9pm: Supper - Cottage cheese (0% fat) + 1 pint of milk.

Supplements: Whey protein isolate, protein bar (low GI carb and low fat). I used to use creatine but found it ineffective and increased water retention.

Goals: Cut to 11% BF before I go on holiday in August, maintain muscle/strength in my main lifts (bench/squat/deadlift) I am not looking to gain strength and or muscle mass during this period, I have been doing that since september.

Update from my previous post back in march:

Have cut down to 174 lbs and about 12-13% bf, abs starting to come through now so getting ready for the beach (have clubbing holidays in Ibiza and Berlin this summer which my Nan is paying for as a treat for finishing my exams before I go to uni!). Down to only 2400 cals / day now so it's getting harder. Started drinking green tea again which has helped, I think, but it makes me need a piss so much in the night time which is really annoying..

Have lost a few KG off of my compound exercises (about 5 kg off bench + squat, but deadlifts + MP still the same), whilst this is annoying it is to be expected whilst on a caloric deficit.

Bring on the summer! :dance:

Height: 1.72m (5'8")
Current Weight: 61kg (134lb (that number is so high that by only writing it I feel fat))
BMI: as if I have any idea of what that is
Objective: muscles
Programmes: sleeping
Supplements: 6 meals/day or about 3000 Kcal diet
Goals: Priority - get out of the bed; then get out of the house; then start exercising

Really, I'm the laziest person ever (and the worst girl at being a girl as I don't even know how to properly put on make up, or make my hair and nails), and I'm not a little girl anymore, so I have to start worrying about becoming flabby although I'm thin. Cellulite is also a nightmare. I suppose I need to exercise but I hate everything except playing tennis and dancing. Would it work for that goal? I don't want to lose weight, I don't like the skinny look for women, I prefer curves over flatness. I already feel too thin as it is so whatever I do I can't lose weight.

So goal is really just exercise before I become a walking jello - where I'm headed to at this pace...

What should I do TC experts?

Current Weight: 61kg (134lb (that number is so high that by only writing it I feel fat))

Goals: Priority - get out of the bed; then get out of the house; then start exercising

Really, I'm the laziest person ever (and the worst girl at being a girl as I don't even know how to properly put on make up, or make my hair and nails), and I'm not a little girl anymore, so I have to start worrying about becoming flabby although I'm thin. Cellulite is also a nightmare. I suppose I need to exercise but I hate everything except playing tennis and dancing. Would it work for that goal? I don't want to lose weight, I don't like the skinny look for women, I prefer curves over flatness. I already feel too thin as it is so whatever I do I can't lose weight.

So goal is really just exercise before I become a walking jello - where I'm headed to at this pace...

LOTS of sex. Active kind.

:Goober:

That was too easy :-)

I am preparing myself to run the half marathon of Sao Paulo! :)

Currently running 5 days a week for 10k in about 1:10 hours. I need to change it to 15k next month and then I will try to raise the speed little by little...Any extra advice?

I am preparing myself to run the half marathon of Sao Paulo! :)

Currently running 5 days a week for 10k in about 1:10 minutes. I need to change it to 15k next month and then I will try to raise the speed little by little...Any extra advice?

just enjoy it. i think signing up for a half marathon is a great wait to try and inspire some CV exercise. but if you want to really improve and clock a good time heres some advice:

I dont know how long you've got to prepare, but ideally you want to spend your first week or 2 (depending on time and current ability) just building up to the distance. so youve done the 10k, run 15k ASAP (even if its slowly and a crawl!) then finish on the 20k (or however long the actualy marathon is!). record this time as well.

then once a week you will run 20k at or close to race pace (and record the time), thats it. its to keep you familiar with the distance to help pace yourself naturally. at this point the benefits you get from just running 20k are minimal.

Intervals: to train to improve you need to do a variety of interval training. As its a half marathon the intervals need to be a bit longer than you may suggest for a footballer. start off with 5 minutes of high paced running (a fast enough pace that you will not be able to go beyond 5 minutes!) then 5 minutes rest (walk/light jog) and gradually increase this to 7 minutes on with 5 minutes rest. then 10 minutes on and 5 minutes rest.

Speed endurance: another part that helps greatly (and will be very important in the last week or 2 before the race) is speed endurance. this is really high intensity intervals. you need to be running at atleast 80% of your maximum sprint speed for this. some e.g of intervals would be:

3x 30s runs at ~90% of your max speed (with 30s rest).

3 x 60s runs at ~80% max speed (60s rest).

start of with the first one, then after a couple of weeks do the second one. you only need to do these one session (and increase it to maybe 2) a week. the day after you will be very sore in the legs muscularaly so it may be ideal to have either a rest day, or a day consisting of the next part of fitness which is low intensity running.

low intensity running: this is like a warm up or a cool down. really slow paced running, not too exhausting, but a long distance (at least 10k). this isnt at race pace, its just to keep the body familiar.

and of course, eat lots of carbs!

so an example, lets say you've got 8 weeks:

post-6160-0-16964900-1371900861_thumb.pn

LI = Low intensity

SE = Speed Endurance

this is just an example. completely depends on the amount of time and how seriously you take it. you can add in more sessions or you can take out some. the last week or 2 are designed to reduce the amount of distance you are covering, but increasing the intensity you are running them at. infact in that last week, that last session should be the same as the session before (3 sets of 30s). as you get closer to race day intenisty should increase and distance should reduce. so each session lasts no more than around 60 minutes. you can sometimes do 2 a day (do a lower intensity workout in the morning and a higher one in the afternoon).

as its running you'll find that you dont get too many muscular aches (you may in the first couple of weeks, and after the SE stuff) but you should find you are capable to do a high frequency of exercise as long as you are eating well. a professional marathon traininer doesnt usually have a rest day in their peak of training. they would count running 20miles at a slow pace a rest...

Looks like you have good genes! i wouldnt worry too much. if it is something you want to keep on top off then join a tennis club or dance club. find a friend you can go on walks or jogs with. or even join a gym if you think its something you'd like to add in to your life. but there is really no need for a gym. just go on walks, little jogs, play tennis with friends and dance the night away!

and if you dont want to lose anymore weight (you are light!) you should be ok becasue as you exercise you will feel more hungry, so just eat as your body tells you. just dont over eat or under eat, but judging by your current weight it looks like you have good control of that.

just carry on enjoying yourself whilst adding some activities! its really that simple!

just enjoy it. i think signing up for a half marathon is a great wait to try and inspire some CV exercise. but if you want to really improve and clock a good time heres some advice:

I dont know how long you've got to prepare, but ideally you want to spend your first week or 2 (depending on time and current ability) just building up to the distance. so youve done the 10k, run 15k ASAP (even if its slowly and a crawl!) then finish on the 20k (or however long the actualy marathon is!). record this time as well.

then once a week you will run 20k at or close to race pace (and record the time), thats it. its to keep you familiar with the distance to help pace yourself naturally. at this point the benefits you get from just running 20k are minimal.

Intervals: to train to improve you need to do a variety of interval training. As its a half marathon the intervals need to be a bit longer than you may suggest for a footballer. start off with 5 minutes of high paced running (a fast enough pace that you will not be able to go beyond 5 minutes!) then 5 minutes rest (walk/light jog) and gradually increase this to 7 minutes on with 5 minutes rest. then 10 minutes on and 5 minutes rest.

Speed endurance: another part that helps greatly (and will be very important in the last week or 2 before the race) is speed endurance. this is really high intensity intervals. you need to be running at atleast 80% of your maximum sprint speed for this. some e.g of intervals would be:

3x 30s runs at ~90% of your max speed (with 30s rest).

3 x 60s runs at ~80% max speed (60s rest).

start of with the first one, then after a couple of weeks do the second one. you only need to do these one session (and increase it to maybe 2) a week. the day after you will be very sore in the legs muscularaly so it may be ideal to have either a rest day, or a day consisting of the next part of fitness which is low intensity running.

low intensity running: this is like a warm up or a cool down. really slow paced running, not too exhausting, but a long distance (at least 10k). this isnt at race pace, its just to keep the body familiar.

and of course, eat lots of carbs!

so an example, lets say you've got 8 weeks:

attachicon.gifHalf marathon training.png

LI = Low intensity

SE = Speed Endurance

this is just an example. completely depends on the amount of time and how seriously you take it. you can add in more sessions or you can take out some. the last week or 2 are designed to reduce the amount of distance you are covering, but increasing the intensity you are running them at. infact in that last week, that last session should be the same as the session before (3 sets of 30s). as you get closer to race day intenisty should increase and distance should reduce. so each session lasts no more than around 60 minutes. you can sometimes do 2 a day (do a lower intensity workout in the morning and a higher one in the afternoon).

as its running you'll find that you dont get too many muscular aches (you may in the first couple of weeks, and after the SE stuff) but you should find you are capable to do a high frequency of exercise as long as you are eating well. a professional marathon traininer doesnt usually have a rest day in their peak of training. they would count running 20miles at a slow pace a rest...

I was expecting a 'go on, you can do it', but I just got a professional advice! :lol:

Right now, I go to the gym every weekday. I run everyday for 10k at 9km/h (or I should, because sometimes I go to 8-9k and I am dead, lol) and three of those days I have a weight lifting training (not very hard though, since my focus is not to get big arms and legs, but only to get stronger little by little). Do you think I can balance this marathon training with mild weight lifting?

Thanks a lot man! :D

I was expecting a 'go on, you can do it', but I just got a professional advice! :lol:

Right now, I go to the gym every weekday. I run everyday for 10k at 9km/h (or I should, because sometimes I go to 8-9k and I am dead, lol) and three of those days I have a weight lifting training (not very hard though, since my focus is not to get big arms and legs, but only to get stronger little by little). Do you think I can balance this marathon training with mild weight lifting?

Thanks a lot man! :D

haha of course! im guessing its more for fun and motivation rather than smashing the sao paulo record! you can literally just take out and move around the stuff in that table around your weights and what you are currently doing. even if you just do some intervals once a week around what you are doing at the moment itll give you a benefit. if you run 10k every day at 9km/h then you will be very good at running 10k at 9km/h when it comes to it, if thats all you want then thats very good. the intervals and the endurance training is to help improve on that rapidly so you can run 10k at 12km/h instead. there are so many different ways of doing things: e.g. you could just up the speed 1km/h every 4 sessions or so. doing your weights is fine. the 2 exercises may conflict but you will still see improvements in both areas.

the one thing i would make sure you do is some running outside before the run. its very different from running in the gym so would be good to do a couple outside just get the feel for it becasue there aint no AC and even ground out there!

haha of course! im guessing its more for fun and motivation rather than smashing the sao paulo record! you can literally just take out and move around the stuff in that table around your weights and what you are currently doing. even if you just do some intervals once a week around what you are doing at the moment itll give you a benefit. if you run 10k every day at 9km/h then you will be very good at running 10k at 9km/h when it comes to it, if thats all you want then thats very good. the intervals and the endurance training is to help improve on that rapidly so you can run 10k at 12km/h instead. there are so many different ways of doing things: e.g. you could just up the speed 1km/h every 4 sessions or so. doing your weights is fine. the 2 exercises may conflict but you will still see improvements in both areas.

the one thing i would make sure you do is some running outside before the run. its very different from running in the gym so would be good to do a couple outside just get the feel for it becasue there aint no AC and even ground out there!

Yeah, it is mostly for fun. I really love practising sports and since I am not in the football nor tennis team anymore, the marathon is a good option so I have an objective and motivation. :P

The race is happening in 11-12 weeks and it will be on a Sunday afternoon (21.5km). So I do have a bit of time and I will use some of that time to run outdoors as soon as the protests stop...

Thanks once again and I will be following your amazing training scheme! :D

Looks like you have good genes! i wouldnt worry too much. if it is something you want to keep on top off then join a tennis club or dance club. find a friend you can go on walks or jogs with. or even join a gym if you think its something you'd like to add in to your life. but there is really no need for a gym. just go on walks, little jogs, play tennis with friends and dance the night away!

and if you dont want to lose anymore weight (you are light!) you should be ok becasue as you exercise you will feel more hungry, so just eat as your body tells you. just dont over eat or under eat, but judging by your current weight it looks like you have good control of that.

just carry on enjoying yourself whilst adding some activities! its really that simple!

Thanks a lot, but it's not about the weight - I have an insanely fast metabolism, but I'm becoming flabby... arms and legs especially. I want to continue to be firm, not sure if tennis would help that... after all I wouldn't play every day.

I hate jogging, I'd rather go to the gym, hehehehe

Thanks a lot, mate! I will do start with the tennis and maybe find some interesting dancing class ;)