Leif

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Term-X

Don't know if I've told you about a few great channels on youtube. They are very great to have an impeccable form when doing gym exercises and give a very detailed and logical explanations why something is the way it is - if it makes sense. :D

CanditoTraining HQ - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZmmDqEJv277d7hBa1nRfg

Benjamin Pakulski - https://www.youtube.com/user/BenPakIFBB/featured

Keep up the good work mate

I swear my bronchitis is chronic. It flairs up all the time, once a year at the least. I was sick for a week when I was in the States and I was sick for a while in March.

Have you tried consulting with doctors to get it under control? Either way hope you'll get well!

I should go to a GP this week.

But be persistent. Although I've been involved in medicine very little still as I'm still in med-school, then what I've learnt is that doctors usually discard or take patient's complaints lightly if the symptoms/description is vague and they can't detect something major with basic tests (might differ in Australia, our healthcare is free if you have insurance, in lot of places its very buyer(patient) and seller (doctor) type of relationship, the client is king there because more tests = more money for the healthcare facility). Go there as long as you've got a solution.

@MetsajCFC,

Metsaj, I actually have a question for you. Last years I haven't been sporting anymore due to a series of injuries (my last was a broken shoulder on three places after getting smashed into the boarding on the pitch). Now, Ive been playing footie for more than 20 years and it has taken a toll on the body.

Now I have been trying to get back into real shape but its really hard. Not because of the physical aspect but because the body protests after years of abuse and now 'not doing anything anymore'. I feel muscles are shortened and i lost a LOT of flexibility (i could do a full split 10 years ago and now can't even reach my toes). every time i get to starting to sport again (running, cycling, swimming, footie, ...) it starts out great but i end up injured. Mostly the outside of the knees (plate) or the hip joint that just starts failing.

Is there any way to slowly build it up again and avoid these recurring injuries. I have a history of intensive sport 5/6 days a week for decades really, but now i don't seem to be able to get into full shape again.

Just a question, it has really been bugging me. :-)

@MetsajCFC,

Metsaj, I actually have a question for you. Last years I haven't been sporting anymore due to a series of injuries (my last was a broken shoulder on three places after getting smashed into the boarding on the pitch). Now, Ive been playing footie for more than 20 years and it has taken a toll on the body.

Now I have been trying to get back into real shape but its really hard. Not because of the physical aspect but because the body protests after years of abuse and now 'not doing anything anymore'. I feel muscles are shortened and i lost a LOT of flexibility (i could do a full split 10 years ago and now can't even reach my toes). every time i get to starting to sport again (running, cycling, swimming, footie, ...) it starts out great but i end up injured. Mostly the outside of the knees (plate) or the hip joint that just starts failing.

Is there any way to slowly build it up again and avoid these recurring injuries. I have a history of intensive sport 5/6 days a week for decades really, but now i don't seem to be able to get into full shape again.

Football, while a fun sport, is not that healthy and puts extreme stress on hips-knees and alot of freak-accidents can occur out of nothing. So I'd advise you to stay away from it for a little while. You say you've had a pause for quite some time, that means your body is not used to that kind of stress anymore. Our bodies are built in a way that they're as lazy as you let them be, they get used to stuff fast, thus even when training the workload must be changed every now and then to stimulate the muscle to get the results needed. Losing flexibility is normal and it has more to do with practicing flexibility and stuff like yoga, if you've done it before I see no reason why you couldn't do it again, it just takes time, patience and work. There's even a saying that one missed week of training will take two weeks to get to the same point before the break. That's bro-science of course not a scientific fact but the point remains valid.

You describe getting injured easily, that's a sign from your body that you're over doing something. I'd say best bet for you is to take up for example bike riding and swimming, activities like that. They both put less stress on hip-joint and knees, especially swimming as you're in water and also works the whole body, especially shoulders and back. Be sure to check if you get enough carbs-protein-fat aswell daily (mostly people consume carbs of zero nutritional value thus gain weight while being in nutritional deficit and not getting the needed protein and so on). Please avoid any extreme diet plans (the word "diet" itself is largely misunderstood word. It doesn't mean eating only green stuff and two tomatoes a day, diet is any daily food in-take, your usual menu in essence.) Start slow, while your mind might be sharp and ready for a marathon, your body needs to adapt still and you can be sure it will come around, it just takes time. The thing that speaks for you is that you don't start from zero, you've got extensive training history and experience behind you. So start slow, give it time, eat, sleep and and don't make it a second job for you, it has to be enjoyable. That's the best advice I can think of right now man, all the best to you all the way to Belgium!

Football, while a fun sport, is not that healthy and puts extreme stress on hips-knees and alot of freak-accidents can occur out of nothing. So I'd advise you to stay away from it for a little while. You say you've had a pause for quite some time, that means your body is not used to that kind of stress anymore. Our bodies are built in a way that they're as lazy as you let them be, they get used to stuff fast, thus even when training the workload must be changed every now and then to stimulate the muscle to get the results needed. Losing flexibility is normal and it has more to do with practicing flexibility and stuff like yoga, if you've done it before I see no reason why you couldn't do it again, it just takes time, patience and work. There's even a saying that one missed week of training will take two weeks to get to the same point before the break. That's bro-science of course not a scientific fact but the point remains valid.

You describe getting injured easily, that's a sign from your body that you're over doing something. I'd say best bet for you is to take up for example bike riding and swimming, activities like that. They both put less stress on hip-joint and knees, especially swimming as you're in water and also works the whole body, especially shoulders and back. Be sure to check if you get enough carbs-protein-fat aswell daily (mostly people consume carbs of zero nutritional value thus gain weight while being in nutritional deficit and not getting the needed protein and so on). Please avoid any extreme diet plans (the word "diet" itself is largely misunderstood word. It doesn't mean eating only green stuff and two tomatoes a day, diet is any daily food in-take, your usual menu in essence.) Start slow, while your mind might be sharp and ready for a marathon, your body needs to adapt still and you can be sure it will come around, it just takes time. The thing that speaks for you is that you don't start from zero, you've got extensive training history and experience behind you. So start slow, give it time, eat, sleep and and don't make it a second job for you, it has to be enjoyable. That's the best advice I can think of right now man, all the best to you all the way to Belgium!

Thanks mate, Ill force myself into sloooooowly building.

My life took a huge turn the last weeks. For better or for worse i have yet to judge.

After working for 12 hours i came home and went to sleep. After 1 hour i heard a strange and loud machine noise in my room i woke up and was completly paralysed. I was soaked in sweat. Aftet 5-10 seconds i snapped out of it and went out of my room as fast as i could. I smoked a cigarette to chill the fuck out but it didnt work. After 20 minutes of trying to get my shit together i had enough and woke up my mom. My logic tells me that mothers have an answer for everything. As a 21 year old guy its hard to tell your mom that you were shitting your pants out of fear. She told me to not be silly and then went to sleep. I'm losing my mind now. This happend an hour ago.

Anybody got an idea what happend?

Should i hit the bottle or take some pills ?

Work in 4 hours yay.

Edit: wrong thread?questionmark?

My life took a huge turn the last weeks. For better or for worse i have yet to judge.

After working for 12 hours i came home and went to sleep. After 1 hour i heard a strange and loud machine noise in my room i woke up and was completly paralysed. I was soaked in sweat. Aftet 5-10 seconds i snapped out of it and went out of my room as fast as i could. I smoked a cigarette to chill the fuck out but it didnt work. After 20 minutes of trying to get my shit together i had enough and woke up my mom. My logic tells me that mothers have an answer for everything. As a 21 year old guy its hard to tell your mom that you were shitting your pants out of fear. She told me to not be silly and then went to sleep. I'm losing my mind now. This happend an hour ago.

Work in 4 hours yay.

Sounds like a night terror. Can be stress induced. I wouldnt worry too much about it and certainly dont go to the bottle. You might make it worse

@MetsajCFC,

I am serious when I say take up golf ,,I know it does me the world of good both physically

and mentally.

I am serious when I say take up golf ,,I know it does me the world of good both physically

and mentally.

Sounds like a plan tbh ....

dca9f87d2ff4e13735723abfd3724886.jpg

to be honest, I tried an initiation and it was fun! Its incredibly expensive in Belgium though - quite elitist... which is a bit of a turn down, but I liked the game!

Sounds like a plan tbh ....

dca9f87d2ff4e13735723abfd3724886.jpg

to be honest, I tried an initiation and it was fun! Its incredibly expensive in Belgium though - quite elitist... which is a bit of a turn down, but I liked the game!

was once very elitist in uk but now much more open to ALL and really only expensive in the time it can take , Now I mainly just play 9 holes ,, home to home can take less than hours .

I manage that about 5 times a week

Work in 4 hours yay.

From what you're saying, my first guess is that you could have experienced an episode of sleep paralysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

The terrifying things are usually visual though. I don't know if the machine sound thing fits.

From what you're saying, my first guess is that you could have experienced an episode of sleep paralysis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

The terrifying things are usually visual though. I don't know if the machine sound thing fits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

This is interesting