César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

Cesar Azpilicueta: I want to play for a bigger club

Olympique de Marseille full-back has conceded that he needs to be playing for a top European club if he wants to earn a place in the Spanish national side

It was said that Marseille have captured one of the brightest Spanish defenders when they paid 7 million Euros for Cesar Azpilicueta to Osasuna back in 2010.

The 22-year-old joined the French side following some impressive showings for the La Liga club. The Spaniard impressed in his first two seasons in Ligue 1 and was a regular starter in Didier Deschamps’ side.

Azpilicueta ruptured his cruciate ligaments in 2010 that halted his progress for a little while. However, the former Osasuna man returned to his previous best and played a crucial role for Marseille in the 2011/2012 campaign.

Cesar Azpilicueta was heavily linked with the Premier League side Chelsea last season and the player has expressed his desire to play for a top European club that can offer him Champions League football.

Despite being one of Marseille’s outstanding performers last season, and playing in Champions League quarter-finals, Azpilicueta failed to make the cut in Vicente del Bosque’s Spain squad for the Euros.

The highly-rated right-back feels that he might have to seek a move away from Marseille if he wishes to fulfil his dream of becoming a Spain international.

While talking to reporters, Azpilicueta said that his biggest wish is to play for Spain and to achieve that feat, he needs to be playing for a top European club.

"My dream is to play for the national team and I want to play for a club that allows me to achieve this goal. This year we [Marseille] played in the quarter-finals of the Champions League and that’s not bad in terms of international level.”

Marseille have failed to qualify for the next edition of Champions League and that is something that bothers Azpilicueta. The Spaniard wants to play Champions League football as it would enhance his chances of playing for Spain.

Having represented Spain at U16, U17, U19, U20 and U21 level,Azpilicueta is optimistic of his chances and hopes to become a regular for Spanish national side in near future.

Marseille are in financial turmoil and would not mind selling their star player if the right offer arrives.

Perfect time to get him!

I am only wondering that he wasnt even the first choice at u21 tournament last summer. Montoya played all games, how is that possible?

In recent season, Azpi become much better, but I think he will end up in Real, we will get Maicon.

Cesar Azpilicueta: I want to play for a bigger club

Perfect time to get him!

Not really because he would probably cost over 10 million (when we are getting Maicon for 6-8m) and probably play half the games he would at Marseille which is decreasing his chances even more of playing for Spain.

Just read this on the Sky Sports site: Marseille could lose two key players this summer with L'Equipe stating that Chelsea are chasing Spanish defender Cesar Azpilicueta, who could be available for around €10million (£7.9m). Cameroon midfielder Stephane Mbia could also be sold to help reduce the wage bill after Marseille failed to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Maicon? 8 years old and probably twice the wages? Do the maths...

Just read this on the Sky Sports site: Marseille could lose two key players this summer with L'Equipe stating that Chelsea are chasing Spanish defender Cesar Azpilicueta, who could be available for around €10million (£7.9m). Cameroon midfielder Stephane Mbia could also be sold to help reduce the wage bill after Marseille failed to qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Maicon? 8 years old and probably twice the wages? Do the maths...

Yeah in the article I put, Azpi said he would like to move to a bigger club, and that with the coach moving to the national french team, as well being in some tough financial situation there was a lot of chances he would be sold.

Chelsea seems to be doing smart business, so I would not be surprised if this transfer actually happens then a Maicon or Debuchy.

I'd love Azpi here but would he be happy being 2nd choice considering he's in his prime and good enough to be first choice on a lot of teams?

He might see it as a challenge for himself and also a big possibility to win trophies.