Wigan 0-2 Chelsea

BlueLion.

Poll  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Your MOTM Vs Wigan?

My personal opinion is that, part of the way we play particularly away from home is to let the opposition have possession, so it's easier for us to counter. We created a lot of opportunities on the break yesterday, I think Di Matteo wants us to soak up pressure then hit teams on the break. This tactic happens more like I mentioned above when we're playing away from home or when we're winning the game. It's why nowadays when we go one or two nil up, we sort of sit off a little as we know we're going to get the chance to counter as the opposition now have to attack. This tactic is one of the reasons we were so poor attacking wise in the Champions League final, we could sit back and soak up the pressure but ultimately we didn't have the players to counter with. No Ramires and not enough quality on the break. Kalou is not really good enough and it was too much to ask of Bertrand,(who was also a left back playing on the left wing).

Not the way I'd go about things but it's won us the Champions League and FA Cup.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torres probably has the worst luck but I think he looked good. The ref was horrible, hazard got smashed and not even a yellow an then Luiz gets a yellow for such a weak challenge.

All in all it was a decent game, they switched off at the end but Hazard looked quality while Juan can do much better.

It's not the simple fact that we need a striker who can bury his chances, its the fact we need a striker who can bury and create his own chances.

He should have gotten two penalties yesterday, one of them created all by himself. If he would have gotten them (or just one penalty and one clear 1 on 1 against the keeper, a chance he would have scored on), would you criticize him then?

It's funny how people scream after Drogba, one match into the season. Yes, he is the best player I've ever seen in a Chelsa-shirt (since the FA-cup final 1970), and possibly the only player we've ever had who's been the best in the world at some point in his career, but there is a certain amount of goldfish memory tied to him and his week in and week out-performances for our team. Drogba has missed more sitters for us than Torres will ever do, and he spent the first 18 months at our club diving and whining about signing for the royal blues.

So what do we expect of our striker? I've witnessed Osgood, Dixon and later Drogba playing for this club, all great players. However, people are living on a big and starry cloud of how good they were and how bad our other strikers have been. Yes, Torres hasn't performed anyway near his potential and not nearly good enough, but I find it amusing that people are jumping on the players backs after one proper match, a match were we played well below par after the first 15 minutes.

You say that we need a striker who can create his own chances, and that's fine. If you have the replay of the first goal you might want to take a look at it, because Torres played a role in that goal. When Hazard shook off Ramis, you could see that Torres drags one of Wigan's centre backs away from Ivanovic. Not much, but certainly enough to give the slightly stumbling Serbian more time to compose himself. Football is a team sport, and as much as the striker is supposed to score goals, he is also responsible for playing his team mates better. Torres is arguably a clever player, and what he does very well (also pointed out by The Butch on the Norwegian broadcast of the game) is that he stretches the opposite team vertically. That means that even if he doesn't get the ball (at times where he should get the ball), he makes space for Mata and Hazard who loves to work in that well known "hole".

Torres has got to prove himself regularly for us, but the fans should also judge a player on his actual performance, not just reading the highlights from goal.com. Nando's performance yesterday didn't make me think that he would flop again, he had one bad first half and a good second half. Reminds me of all the strikers in the world, really...

As for the raitings, I would give the MOTM to JT. I thought everyone played mediocre, like a 6/10, but Hazard and JT were a notch over the rest. Whilst Hazard faded after 15 minutes, JT stood up like the captain he is and saved us in the important first match of the season.

"Chelsea enjoyed only 48.1 per cent of possession, and attempted only six shots. That is our lowest figure since our visit to Old Trafford in Manchester United in September 2007."

Very, very disappointing despite the 3 points. I hope we will improve much.

"Chelsea enjoyed only 48.1 per cent of possession, and attempted only six shots. That is our lowest figure since our visit to Old Trafford in Manchester United in September 2007."

Get your point there but hey, at least we took the chances that came and won. We have had more possession and chances in previous games but still fail to win last season. And United went to the Etihad last season and only had 5 shots with none of them on target. Definitely need to improve but don't see why we should get panic in any way just yet.

I dont take too many positive things from this game.

Hazard gave an assist a got a penalty with 6 minutes and thats was all. The press quickly claimed he had a superb start. The press will quickly call him a flop if he dont score more than 10 goals or give at least 12 assists in the rest of the season.

We have a lot to improve.

I dont take too many positive things from this game.

Hazard gave an assist a got a penalty with 6 minutes and thats was all. The press quickly claimed he had a superb start. The press will quickly call him a flop if he dont score more than 10 goals or give at least 12 assists in the rest of the season.

We have a lot to improve.

you never do and your posts could improve as well .. Our Belgian fans do much better

Jesus so much hate of Fernando. Guy had a goal cleared off the line, a penalty disallowed and provided pretty good movement up front. Service to him was not great, but hey it's the first game of the season so you expect some rustiness. Give him a chance...

There is a huge difference between hate and not trying to glorify every little thing he does. Why does everything said about Torres that isn't a full blown compliment get translated as hate? it's not.

Do i critisize Torres? yes, his performances for Chelsea have not been good enough for a player who overall cost £100m, (contract and transfer). I also can't stand the myth doing the rounds that we supposedly owe him. The excuses made up for him annoy me when you consider Malouda, Kalou, Danny and even Didier have got bashed (in Danny's case still is) for much less.

Do i hate Torres and take happiness in seeing him suffer? no, far from it, i would love it if he turns his Chelsea career around.

When we won 6-0 there 2 season's back, we only had 7 shots, and the one that didn't go in the goal got put in on the rebound. So we could say we were poor that day too.

Find it odd how he gets so much stick from fans online, yet like yesterday, the fans at the games will always chant his name and support the guy.

I can still never forget the roar of disappointment around me in the Matthew Harding Lower when fans found out Lampard scored the goal against Sunderland and not Torres off the bar. The most cringe worthy moment of my life (life not just footballing life) and its beat's some stiff competition.

It was a superb start, after that he was roughly hacked down, and fouled several more times.

And then we were never really able to put pressure on Wigan again, as they had most of the ball.

I'm looking forward to see how he does in his first home game on Wednesday.

It was a superb start, after that he was roughly hacked down, and fouled several more times.

And then we were never really able to put pressure on Wigan again, as they had most of the ball.

I'm looking forward to see how he does in his first home game on Wednesday.

I was far from impressed at all. It was a good start but not worth the hype after 45 minutes of football.