Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 20 million, I'd take Sanchez over Schurrle.

Schurrle's development has stalled at Leverkusen, he generally has 1-2 good games...then goes missing for a few games and then has another 1-2 good games.

Exactly. He was an outstanding player for Mainz on their level (above average but not exactly very good) but ever since moving to Leverkusen he has remained that player. He hasn't had a real progress that would get you excited nor has he ever shown that he has the potential to become a guy who can put in world-class perfomances on a regular basis which is what I personally expect from a guy we pay 20m euros for. Right now he even struggles with playing well for more than 3 games. I'd much rather see us going for a proven player instead of Schürrle.

Exactly. He was an outstanding player for Mainz on their level (above average but not exactly very good) but ever since moving to Leverkusen he has remained that player. He hasn't had a real progress that would get you excited nor has he ever shown that he has the potential to become a guy who can put in world-class perfomances on a regular basis which is what I personally expect from a guy we pay 20m euros for. Right now he even struggles with playing well for more than 3 games. I'd much rather see us going for a proven player instead of Schürrle.

€20M is £17M. To expect a player coming for £17M to put in world class performances on a regular basis is way too optimistic. World class players (or players with the potential to become world class) cost a lot more then £17M in the current economy. Think you're in the wrong decade mate.

€20M is £17M. To expect a player coming for £17M to put in world class performances on a regular basis is way too optimistic. World class players (or players with the potential to become world class) cost a lot more then £17M in the current economy. Think you're in the wrong decade mate.

If you wanna bold a part of my post then bold the whole statement.

You're welcome.

If you wanna bold a part of my post then bold the whole statement.

You're welcome.

I'll do you one better and quote my own post.

"World class players (or players with the potential to become world class) cost a lot more then £17M in the current economy."

What player that has the potential to become world class is available for £17M?

Today you get a pretty good squad player for that fee, especially if you are a "big" team.

Don't expect World Class Hazard/Mata type signing. This guy is bought to fill in gaps and provide Option B. Schürrle is to Chelsea as Pedro is to Barcelona. Flexible and hardworking that won't always have a great game but will always put in 100%.

Don't expect World Class Hazard/Mata type signing. This guy is bought to fill in gaps and provide Option B. Schürrle is to Chelsea as Pedro is to Barcelona. Flexible and hardworking that won't always have a great game but will always put in 100%.

Pedro didn't cost Barcelona close to 20 million.

It should be Schurrle is to Chelsea as Sanchez is to Barcelona...both of them will try their best, they won't always have good games but they will play a part in squad rotation.

I am not a fan of this transfer at all especially when we dont have a manager. What if our next manager likes De Bruyne?? Besides 20 million are u kidding me?? He hasnt even scored 10 goals this season that money could be better used elsewhere like a central midfielder. We have 3 good strikers in our books and wingers who score so I dont see the need of an additional front line player. This whole superstar thing with the chelsea heirarchy is so annoying last time around we missed out on a decent central mid in Sissoko whilst we were looking for expensive options. Emeliano needs to get his act together otherwise we will loose good players like De Bruyne. The poor kid hasnt even been given a chance to shine and they want to sell him already. If you gonna sell someone to them give them Marko marin .

Sanchez would be the more ideal

Pedro didn't cost Barcelona close to 20 million.

It should be Schurrle is to Chelsea as Sanchez is to Barcelona...both of them will try their best, they won't always have good games but they will play a part in squad rotation.

Sanchez would be the more ideal

His style is more related to Pedro and that is one of the points I was trying to put across, but whatever.

German side Bayer Leverkusen confirm talks in London about Andre Schurrle

Reports in Germany claim that 22-year-old forward Schurrle has already agreed his part of a deal which could be worth in excess of £20million.

Voller travelled to England with general manager Michael Reschke to meet with Chelsea and talk terms over the highly-rated forward.

Asked about a deal with Chelsea, Voller told Bild: "Yes, I was in London and I have had discussions. There is nothing more to say, there is nothing decided yet. "

It is also claimed in the German media that Voller asked Chelsea about the possibility of taking Belgian winger Kevin De Bruyne as part of the deal.

The 21-year-old is currently impressing for Werder Bremen on loan and Bayer are hopeful that they can take De Bruyne on loan for next season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8650869/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Why are people acting as if we only have £20m to spend for next season? Now I know Schurrle is not needed as much as say a midfielder but the Schurrle signing makes sense to me. Look at our squad this season - the likes of Mata, Hazard and Oscar have played far too many games and this is simply because the back up we have for them is not good enough. Marin, who I think is a decent player but needs to play constantly for him to be useful, is not the player I would like to see replace Hazard or Mata if they went down injured for a long spell. Marin needs to leave for the sake of his own career.

If you want to heavily challenge on all fronts, good squad players are vital. It's about the depth of your squad. Schurrle isn't coming here to start week in week out - he's coming here to bolster our weak depth. €20m for a squad player is the norm these days anyway - look at United for example who've spent £17m on Valencia, around £20m for Ashley Young, around the same for Nani. United win the league this season because they have players who can step in when their starters need a rest/are injured. That's the main difference between us and them now.

I know KDB is coming back as well but he offers us a different skill set compared to Schurrle. I still believe that he might be converted to play as a deeper midfielder as I really think his strengths are there but of course, he's a nice option to have when Mata/Hazard/Oscar aren't playing in the -3- either. Presumably, maybe our next manager might even play 4-3-3 which KDB can excel in as well.

Becoming dominant in football isn't only about having the best 11. It's about having the best squad. With KDB and Schurrle coming in we'll certainly be up there.

KDB, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Schurrle, Moses, Ramires, Mikel, Romeu, Lampard/[new midfielder], [new midfielder] is a big upgrade from:

Benayoun, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Marin, Moses, Ramires, Mikel, Romeu, Lampard.

It changes from having to start (when resting Oscar, Mata & Hazard for example):

Marin - Benayoun - Moses

to

Schurrle - KDB - Moses

or

Schurrle - Oscar - Hazard

or

Schurrle - Mata - Moses

etc.

We'll have more options and we'll be far more unpredictable. Also don't forget that the new manager might put Oscar or KDB in the pivot which opens up another spot in the -3-.

Personally, I'm all for this signing. €20m for a good squad player is a decent price - it makes sense to me.

Schurrle is a good player and is hardworking.He has a good long range shot.He would add much needed depth to our squad so that we can challenge league and trophies.One cannot judge a player only on goals.Now a days 20million is a normal fee for a young player.I hope Roman and Board also spends on other areas like pivot

People here dont understand what rotation is. (Most of them) You are agains t this signing because of the price tag, but want Falcao for an idiotic fee of 60 milion when we have Lukaku , Ba , maybe Torres and maybe Schurlle?? Anyways about rotation , too often we have 2 matches in a week. The Fulham game was match number 60 and the only players that we have used are Mata, Moses , Hazard and Oscar . Way too little dont you think? Plus that our games don't go our way, and we need a game - changer and looking at out bench, we don't have one. Ba is not the only solution. We lack the dynamic winger that could come off the bench and use his pace against the weakened

side. When Hazard starts the only left player are Yossi, who proves to be a quiet depth signing and a hard worker, and Oscar, who is definetly not a winger in my eyes. So we have the coming of Ba , and probably Lamps. But we lack that winger. That could be put in the 50 + minute and go against the weakened Backs of the teams. And this is why signings like Schurlle make absolute sense.

Sorry for mistakes , writing from my phone.