Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

€20m for Schurrle isn't too bad tbh. We could do with another direct player on the flanks. If this is true I expect us to definitely get in another midfielder or two as KDB won't be coming back till next season and perhaps we'll be giving Lampard another year too. I think it's ultimately down to the coach though.

I hope we don't give Lampard another year. He has been a great midfielder for Chelsea over the years but it's time to move on with our rebuilding process.

As for Schurrle, 20 million isn't the worst transfer out there...he doesn't have that bit of flair or explosiveness but overall, he seems to be a solid team player.

At first I was going to type the following: "1 thing about Schurrle - He looks like piss when played on the right hand side, despite being right-footed. Like Marin, he likes the left, so he can cut in and shoot. But err, don't we have some Belgian called Hazard doing that?

Ah forget it actually, he can play in the centr-oh, wait, no, there's that guy called... Mata, is it? Yeah, that Mata guy plays there."

Now upon reflection, I've just remembered something we used to have and that I miss - depth.

There's no reason why he can't add competition to Hazard's spot and, if he earns it, start ahead of him (or have Hazard out right or even central some games.)

The reported price is rather good in my opinion. He also tracks back lots, which I love.

I'm all for adding squad depth and versitility but Andre Schurlle doesn't float my boat. I'd ratherr just bring KDB back from loan and start using his two footed genius instead!

I'm all for this personally. Next year will be an important one for KDB as it's world cup year and so getting game time week in week out will be essential for him, and it'll help his development rather than being behind Mata and possibly Oscar in the pecking order. With Marin's injury problems and the fact that there's a chance he might leave in summer we need a direct option for the wing who's capable of providing goals. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread Schurrle is also good for the fact that he can become our third choice striker, rather than getting an out and out striker who won't see much gametime and probably become unhappy. It just makes sense really. If things go to plan, we can fill a gap in our squad while KDB continues to develop and then goes to the world cup with Belgium and has a stormer and comes back to us an even better player. Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle and Moses are good, well-balanced options for me

At first I was going to type the following: "1 thing about Schurrle - He looks like piss when played on the right hand side, despite being right-footed. Like Marin, he likes the left, so he can cut in and shoot. But err, don't we have some Belgian called Hazard doing that?

Ah forget it actually, he can play in the centr-oh, wait, no, there's that guy called... Mata, is it? Yeah, that Mata guy plays there."

Now upon reflection, I've just remembered something we used to have and that I miss - depth.

There's no reason why he can't add competition to Hazard's spot and, if he earns it, start ahead of him (or have Hazard out right or even central some games.)

The reported price is rather good in my opinion. He also tracks back lots, which I love.

to add to your point - i think buying a classic right winger is better. Our best player at the Right side is currently Moses.

Hazard-Mata-Right Winger

would be better. Moses, Oscar, Marin, Piazon are depth for AM position

edit: wouldn't be too pissed abt Schurrle though

Lets just wait and see before jumping to all sorts of conclusion here. Big summer ahead, not only with players but management staff et al. A lot will be written and spoke about of course but lets secure fourth and make sure we approach silly season with a maximum we can offer any new player, and that's CL football and hopefully a trophy.

Not sure why bother with Schurrle when De Bruyne can also play out wide if needed. We should be spending the money elsewhere on a more important priority like getting a creative midfielder and a striker!

Today, I have read, Ferda is going nowhere for another three years.

So, I assume Andre being only 21 year old, it could be a pretty good signing for several years. At 20m reasonably priced, even better than the other players, like Falcao for 45m , I´d go for it. Of course, KDB included just for loan.

Not sure why bother with Schurrle when De Bruyne can also play out wide if needed. We should be spending the money elsewhere on a more important priority like getting a creative midfielder and a striker!

Ignoring the fact that I'm sure the board can chase more than one target at once (as well as a manager if you believe the reports), Schurrle just seems to fit the needs of the squad better. De Bruyne can play wide but clearly someone in our scouting department has seen something special in this guy. I'm inclined to trust them.

He can also play as a striker which gives us three options with him, Lukaku and Ba up front assuming we ship off Torres. You've also got to wonder what the plans are for Piazon next year, and to a lesser extent Kakuta.

Exactly!KDB can play on either wings plus as an attacking midfielder and as a central midfielder,he can basically cover the whole midfield except for the defensive midfield position while schurrle can play on the left and centrally only.

Schurlle is not a world class player !!!! I prefer Hulk

Come on wake up, Hulk ?

Have you seen him play lately ?

Just one thing you chaps forgot.

Ferda still has three years on his contract & he is going nowhere, unless he says so.

Because it'll just be a waste of his talent when he quite clearly flourishes most in the centre. We're already having this problem with Oscar. De Bruyne will see a lack of game time in his position because we already have Mata there and his defensive contribution isn't good enough for the pivot. It'll be better for us long-term if he can play regularly at a competitive club in his favoured position so that we can get the best out of him in future

Exactly!KDB can play on either wings plus as an attacking midfielder and as a central midfielder,he can basically cover the whole midfield except for the defensive midfield position while schurrle can play on the left and centrally only.

Schurrle plays Left, Right, Striker and just behind the CF. Just as versatile, while actually filling a need in our squad which is the 3rd choice striker position