David Luiz

the wes

4 hours ago, Robguima said:

he wasn't great obviously but people who see the game know the game was lost (and is won) in midfield.

He should've had the discernment to know he should've stayed back to avoid the worse, but that's exactly the thing he lacks. His importance in the outcome of that match is greatly exaggerated. 

I agree wholeheartedly. The whole team was whack. Luiz was kind of scape goated for the whole thing whilst others walked away reputation in tact (i.e. Silva who was just as atrocious). Doesn't mean he wasn't bad though!

20 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I agree wholeheartedly. The whole team was whack. Luiz was kind of scape goated for the whole thing whilst others walked away reputation in tact (i.e. Silva who was just as atrocious). Doesn't mean he wasn't bad though!

Dante played alongside Luiz on that day.

21 minutes ago, Mufassir08 said:

Dante played alongside Luiz on that day.

correct

Thiago had been suspended after picking up a silly yellow a match earlier - Thiago was breaking down in a different way.

The players were under tremendous pressure especially considering that was one of the worse brazilian sides I've witnessed-and I've seen pretty bad ones. Had they played anyone of quality prior to the semis and the worse would've been avoided.

The particular problem of the partnership of luiz and thiago is actually very simple: they are both the same player, ball playing CBs and very technical. Both make tons of mistakes, but Luiz has the crazy hair.

12 hours ago, Robguima said:

sorry but that's unrealistic.

there is nothing in the past years that imply we can compete with the clubs you cited. All it shows is that we *must* find "the finds" if we are to have a chance at competing. Buy younger and if the player develops into a star, great! if not, no worse than today and you try again.

(btw Conte's saying is disingenuous: players aren't just better or worse than others, they are different having different virtues and deficiencies) 

we approach the transfer market as a huge club would, but we just aren't one.

Cant agree with you at all. 

First, we absolutely can compete with Juventus and even Munich on the transfer scene, aparr from German stars or big players in the Bundesliga, i see very little pull. And Old Alonso and a Thiago that was permabenched at Barca does not show pulling power. Regarding our own activity in the last few years, its promising. Last year we had a huge bid turned down for Pogba and it seemed mostly due to bad timing. Juventus had just reached the CL final and were considered a dangerous club again. The club also seems to feel it needs to prove it is a big club with keeping players. Torres from Liverpool was huge in January no less and the signing of Hazard was significant. Eden was no find, he was known by everyone. 

Do not underestimate the moneyPL clubs _in general_ are making. Current trends mean this will only increase and thats just for being in the premier league. As i said, smart sponsorship deals in the manor of United (as we have been doing) and a new stadium will give us financial clout that only PSG, Madrid and Barcelona could dream of matching. At the moment, exceeding is out of the question. 

Dont forget that United has bounced back solely due to money. No crap about tradition or reputation or players just hoping to play for them. Money is running the game and chelsea can join arsenal in fighting for scraps or they can stay with the times and realise that prices are inflating. Thankfully, the club seems focused on establishing a self suficient money train to rival United in the near future. 

21 minutes ago, the wes said:

Does anybody feel David Luiz and Kante would make a good partnership in midfield??? 

I guess it depends which Luiz turns up ... If it's one which who partnered Matic against City and just shut them out, I would love to have him partner with Kante. I would love to have the partnership it gives us the spark but knowing Luiz he will have those bad days way too many times which is a let down. I see him more of a one change to Matic depending on situation. 

21 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Oh come on. Before that Germany game Luiz was legit the best CB in the tournament. Hence why he got picked in team of the tournament anyway. It was an awful display but he was awesome for Brazil before that. 

I didn't get into the merits of his performance.Is how he played a nation after the humiliating defeat that rubbed me the wrong way.

I know you weren't the one implying I meant his performance, but I was lazy to single out Parky's sentence.

As I said I think he's much better than what we currently have, so that's improvement.

Also, whoever said that just because Jose and Blanc didn't make him a better defender Conte is unlike to do, I disagree. First, the Italian way of defending is something of its own and second, there's chemistry in football. Mourinho turned Luiz into a great DM, but didn't improve him as a CB. I wouldn't rule Conte out. David does have the technical ability - which is the one thing that can't be taught, so let's not write any progress off before we actually give it a few months.

Unless he's out of form, he should take the spot from Cahill immediately. Terrible days or not, he's always been and continue to be better than Gary any day of the week. That speaks more about Cahill than it does about Luiz.

21 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Oh come on. Before that Germany game Luiz was legit the best CB in the tournament. Hence why he got picked in team of the tournament anyway. It was an awful display but he was awesome for Brazil before that. 

He was picked in fifa world11 2014. For world cup it was hummels ans Silva. 

This reminds, Hummels, another world class CB, who is super slow and makes stupid mistakes going forward, yet no one talks about it.

But yeah for a "shitty" CB, Luiz gets in these 11s alot. Got in both ligue 1 of past two years despite there are players like Nkoulou, Umtiti, Perrin etc who had good seasons.

On 9/3/2016 at 4:03 AM, Parky said:

In all honesty I think Luiz knows exactly how to play to the fans and media. The persona he carefully acts out has got him further than his rather limited defending ability. I personally don't see him even being close to a top quality CB at 29 years old. He needs to play alongside a world class CB partner like Terry and Silva to stop him from being a complete defensive failure. I really hope that something changes and Conte can make him a beast of a CB but like I said previously If Jose and Blanc failed at this then realistically there is little chance Conte can. Yes he is flashy and gifted on the ball for a CB but this will not make up for him getting lost in important defensive moments and being out of position in crucial situations.

Barbara is right his WC performance especially against Germany was exactly who he is as a player and person. He was running around the whole pitch like Superman oblivious to his defensive duties as a CB but that would have not been enough for his ego. The after match interview of him playing to the fans and camera sobbing proved my hunch about him. He plays for himself rather than the team and as I've always said he is a 'fake CB'. Terry and Silva are examples of genuine CB's who will give thier lives up to defend, position and tackle for the team then being more concerned about how good/flashy they look to their fans and media.

But in all honesty I really do hope he proves me wrong and becomes a world class CB for us.

Scenes when you realize that Blanc and now Emery are the reason for PSG's bad defence,Blanc is cluless and Jose can't improve or develop any player.Simply Conte >Jose,Blanc.