Marko Marin joins Chelsea

Anyone care to describe Marin's strengths and weaknesses in detail or something like that?

Not an expert but from I know.

Strengths:

Pace

Agility

Driblling

Weaknesses:

Lightweight

Shooting

Lacks end product

Inconsistent

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Clark Whitney on Marin:

Marin is a gifted winger, who in his earlier years was dubbed as the "German Messi." That comparison was proven premature, but the 23-year-old's strengths and weaknesses more resemble those of Angel Di Maria. Marin is a very talented dribbler, but stagnated after joining Bremen in 2009. He has primarily been used out of position as a central playmaker, where his dribbling qualities are less noticeable and his underwhelming playmaking vision is evident. He needs a fresh start, and perhaps he will flourish when used once more on the wing. It is, however, a great gamble for the player, who could find himself on the bench for five years. For Chelsea, €7-8 million is worth the risk.

Not an expert but from I know.

Strengths:

Pace

Agility

Driblling

Weaknesses:

Lightweight

Shooting

Lacks end product

Inconsistent

I don't think 'lacks end product' is really a weakness for a player who has had 10+ assists in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

This season has been the only exception - he's not played many games due to injuries.

Firstly very surprised, came out of the blue. I can remember him being linked with Arsenal, etc a couple of seasons ago for £15-20m. There is no doubting his talent but injuries, confidence, etc have affected this. Hopefully a fresh start will help, and happy with a signing which doesn't break the bank.

I'm not worried about his size and physique having seen Mata this season. The strength we have upfront, and in the centre of our midfield and defence still keeps us a very physical side. Having a couple of players smaller and quicker in the areas that can hurt teams is the right blend.

As people have said, very happy we are looking to do business early this season before the Euros. Hopefully this may also mean that Robbie has identified targets with the board and has had an input signalling the likelihood of him staying on! I just hope that the announcing of this signing doesn't affect the performances and commitment of players like Malouda and Kalou, who we will need for the remaining weeks of the season. Looking forward to seeing him next season, hopefully with four or five others!

This might give an insight into why he has been playing poor over the last year or two:

"Marin is a gifted winger, who in his earlier years was dubbed as the "German Messi." That comparison was proven premature, but the 23-year-old's strengths and weaknesses more resemble those of Angel Di Maria. Marin is a very talented dribbler, but stagnated after joining Bremen in 2009. He has primarily been used out of position as a central playmaker, where his dribbling qualities are less noticeable and his underwhelming playmaking vision is evident. He needs a fresh start, and perhaps he will flourish when used once more on the wing. It is, however, a great gamble for the player, who could find himself on the bench for five years. For Chelsea, €7-8 million is worth the risk."

We have Mata for the centre, so we may bring out the best in him back on the wing.

He could shine here or fade, we will have to wait for next season. I am concerned only because he is very light, but I thought something similar for Mata, who proved great. For 8m cant be bad buy, but I hope he will take major starting role, not just some bench sub.

Considering we are in final CL, we cant have bad squad :? like some of you say...

Happy with every signing, this guy is not top thing, but he could become that. Remember, him and Ozil were on same level back in 2010, Ozil was sold to RM and become great. Lets hope this kid will prove his qualities.